Tailgating TV/Media Setup Recommendations

SCcyclone12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2019
I’m looking at bringing a TV to our Iowa tailgate this season and possibly a few others but not all of them. Based on everything I’ve read, the Dish Tailgater is probably the best setup but I’m not sure it is worth the investment for a few games. It sounds like a few people have tried antennas and that seems like it would be a good options for the Iowa game for the Fox pregame and game on Fox. Is an indoor-outdoor antenna a bad idea? Any antenna recommendations?

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I’m looking at bringing a TV to our Iowa tailgate this season and possibly a few others but not all of them. Based on everything I’ve read, the Dish Tailgater is probably the best setup but I’m not sure it is worth the investment for a few games. It sounds like a few people have tried antennas and that seems like it would be a good options for the Iowa game for the Fox pregame and game on Fox. Is an indoor-outdoor antenna a bad idea? Any antenna recommendations?
images.jpeg

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
I found it not worth the cost to do the tailgater for just a few games.

What we have found works well:
- propane powered generator
- 32” Amazon fire smart tv
- unlimited data plan+hotspot with Verizon
- cheap antenna with a power source

We run off phone hotspot until about 11-12 when cell signal traffic picks up, then switch to OTA to watch fox/cbs/Abc games.

Attachments

• IMG_9494.jpeg
    IMG_9494.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: SCcyclone12

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We got fed up with manual satellite dish finickyness and decided to stream off phones in the mornings/before most people arrive, then switch to a small powered antenna once games are on. That idea worked out really well for us, a lot less hassle and setup time.

engineer_doug

Sep 12, 2016
I've used this antenna at prior tailgates without issues. Of course, YMMV.

Also, this report from rabbitears.info is estimated TV signal strength and transmitter distance / direction, assuming antenna is set up at Vet Med parking lot. All transmitters of interest (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are within 15 miles of Vet Med.

As confusing as this may sound, pay attention to 23-1 KCWI for ABC, as it contains the TV signal for channel 5.5 (ABC). Do not try to pull in channel 5.1 (also ABC), as this channel requires a large antenna that you probably don't want or need.

Good luck.

Help Support Us

Become a patron