The BCS

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
you decide, here is your chance. If you could change the way we choice a national champion, would you and how would you do it? Would you trade bowl games for a clear national champion or do you have a better idea that is the best of both worlds.

My opinion, we should have a playoff involving the Ten best teams. You play the worst 8 of the ten teams until you have only two left, insert the two best teams and the winners play for the championship. This will keep the good aspects of the BCS while giving other teams a shot at the title. All other teams, outside the top ten, will have bowl games like normal. Oh, and only allow in conferences that have a title game.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
10 teams is way to many IMO.

6 teams tops. Top 2 in BCS get a Bye. I don't think teams that win their conference should automatically go either. Like when Pitt went to a BCS game with 4 losses and got crushed by Utah

Reactions: Gordyo5

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just make all the conferences have a championship game and you have your first round of the playoff right there...

Yes...you have 11 conferences all together. Take the champion from each conference, and 5 at-larges (the highest remaining BCS ranked teams, none of that only one additional team from each conference crap). Then you seat them based off the BCS rankings. This way the BCS rankings and national polls still mean something. Four weeks, four rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
As long as it doesn't screw up the bowl system for the Non BCS bowls, I'm all for whatever they want to do. Honestly, crowning a "True" national champion means very little to me compared to being able to see the Cyclones in a Bowl game again.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I like it just how it is. Look at all the hype that is generated because of the current system. Why fix that?

If it does go into playoffs, you need at least 16 teams (approx 15% of the total) In basketball, about 20% of the teams make the NCAA postseason.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Take the top 8 conferences each year, and rank them as strength of conference and see that way before the championship games. This year you would have

1.Big 12 Champ
8.Mac Champ

4. Big Ten
5. Big East

3. SEC
6. PAC 10

2. ACC Champ
7. Mountain West Champ

So every conference has a championship game, essentially the first round of 16, but conferences get all the money... Then play it out as seeded..

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Leave everything the way it is, except have all the BCS games on New Years day like it used to be and THEN have a +1 game (top 4 in the BCS rankings play in BCS games) and the two winners play a week later in the BCS Championship game. This should not effect the kids with school (finals in December) and not add too many games. I can't remember a year where at the end of the season thinking the 5th ranked BCS team deserved a shot at the title, however there are a lot of times where the 3rd or 4th place team should have a chance.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Take the top 8 conferences each year, and rank them as strength of conference and see that way before the championship games. This year you would have

1.Big 12 Champ
8.Mac Champ

4. Big Ten
5. Big East

3. SEC
6. PAC 10

2. ACC Champ
7. Mountain West Champ

So every conference has a championship game, essentially the first round of 16, but conferences get all the money... Then play it out as seeded..

What about this year when teh Big 12 South has 3 or 4 teams in the top 8 - only 1 gets a shot at the Big 12 title game.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I'm all about the +1 format and backing everything to 1/1 (w/ the championship 1 week later.) There is already a playoff in place, it's called the regular season! BCS (or Alliance before, or BS C according to JoePa) will not go away anytime soon - it's all about money...

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Just make all the conferences have a championship game and you have your first round of the playoff right there...

The problem I have with this is that if it is not done right you will end up with the Big12 knocking out the SEC in the first round and then ending up with a Big12/BigEast type championship because you had the best team play each other to early.

The other problem is that the conference champion is not always the best team. I understand the argument but the problem I have with the BCS is that it has not teamed up the best teams in the past.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
It is not realistic to have a 10 team playoff. That is 3 to 4 extra games played. After the whole season is complete, some teams will have played 16 games. Also think about the competitive advantage they would get over all the other teams. All that extra game time/practice time gives the great teams an even bigger advantage.

I think 4 teams would be ok, 6 at the very very most. For the most part though, the BCS has been right and chosen the right team. The only time you could argue was when Auburn was left out of the championship game

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
challenges to playoffs:
1. football teams need a week to recooperate, 4 or 5 days at least. That means a 8 team playoff takes 3 weeks. Not practical.
2. I don't like the coference winner scenario, simply because I believe everyone deserves a shot, this year the best 3 or 4 of the best 5 teams are in the Big 12 this year, as an example.
3. Fan attendance issues. Bowls rely on schools bring 25,000+ fans to be successful. Not gonna happen for 3 games.

I suggest that the top four schools go to 2 top bowls, then the winners of those bowls play for a national championship. As a previous poster said, usually we don't think the #5 school is tops.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
The only just and proper way to do it would be a 16-team playoff. The champion of each of the 12 conferences plus 4 at-large teams. The only truly weak champion in the field would be the winner of the Sun Belt Conference; however, that gives everybody a Cinderella to root for. 4 additional games in 4 weeks. Season gets over at the same time. Done. Period. End-of-Story.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The only just and proper way to do it would be a 16-team playoff. The champion of each of the 12 conferences plus 4 at-large teams. The only truly weak champion in the field would be the winner of the Sun Belt Conference; however, that gives everybody a Cinderella to root for. 4 additional games in 4 weeks. Season gets over at the same time. Done. Period. End-of-Story.

This is what I said, except there are only 11 conferences (unless you are counting the independents as a conference.)