This Day in Hilton Coliseum History

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Stevens.jpg
The Cyclones started off hot in Johnny Orr’s third season at the helm with five straight wins. The season, however, ultimately proved an up-and-down endeavor. Sitting at 10-9 as the 18-3 Tigers crossed the border to arrive in Ames, the young Cyclones squad relied heavily on sophomore Barry Stevens and freshman Jeff Hornacek.

Read more about this historical moment here:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Probably the start of Hilton Magic.

In a different note did you see the Big 10 network is doing some show referring to Carver Magic.

LOL That'll end either this yr or next whenever CC leaves.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Probably the start of Hilton Magic.

In a different note did you see the Big 10 network is doing some show referring to Carver Magic.

LOL, I can't remember the year but I watched Kansas play in Carver one time. It was so quiet you could hear the players shoes squeak on the court all game long.

Reactions: NWICY

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
There's a few of those old early 80s games on youtube.

Fast breaks were so freaking cool back then - with no 3 pt line (no one running to the corner) every team just tried to dunk on someone.

And with no TV, phones, video, etc - your only memory of these moments was these really cool photos.

I'd love to find that famous Barry Stevens photo from the 84 Iowa game where he fouled out and stomped his feet - the photo showed barry's shoes at the refs chin level his "stomp" was so massive lol.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
There's a few of those old early 80s games on youtube.

Fast breaks were so freaking cool back then - with no 3 pt line (no one running to the corner) every team just tried to dunk on someone.

And with no TV, phones, video, etc - your only memory of these moments was these really cool photos.

I'd love to find that famous Barry Stevens photo from the 84 Iowa game where he fouled out and stomped his feet - the photo showed barry's shoes at the refs chin level his "stomp" was so massive lol.
Some of my favorite memories of those days were listening to Pete on the radio, since not every game was on TV. That is a new concept for my younger nephews and nieces, who can't imagine listening to a game on the radio.

(grew up listening to Jack Buck and the Cardinals, sometimes sitting in my car in the driveway)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Some of my favorite memories of those days were listening to Pete on the radio, since not every game was on TV. That is a new concept for my younger nephews and nieces, who can't imagine listening to a game on the radio.

(grew up listening to Jack Buck and the Cardinals, sometimes sitting in my car in the driveway)
It doesn't bother me if I can't see a game. Grew up with Pete &Eric, now just listen to JW & Eric. If the game is on TV fine if not no big deal.

Help Support Us

Become a patron