WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Anyone worried about COVID causing another shut down for attendance? Seeing the impact it is having on late season baseball games as hotspots rear their ugly heads concerns me. And with Iowa having a fairly low vaccination rate I won’t be surprised to see limitations put in place.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
An update on Izzi

Team Canada just played their first game in the FIBA U19 WBB World Cup and lost to Japan in the last minute 82-83. Izzi started the game but only played less than a minute, got subbed out and never played again. Based on the following video, she was not injured. I don't understand why. I was really hoping to watch her play. BTW, Melvin Ejim's sister Yvonne (Gonzaga) played major minutes and scored 21 pts.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
An update on Izzi

Team Canada just played their first game in the FIBA U19 WBB World Cup and lost to Japan in the last minute 82-83. Izzi started the game but only played less than a minute, got subbed out and never played again. Based on the following video, she was not injured. I don't understand why. I was really hoping to watch her play. BTW, Melvin Ejim's sister Yvonne (Gonzaga) played major minutes and scored 21 pts.

Looked like she was an afterthought to jump center. She almost got a shot down before being sat down though.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I have watched Canada's second group match vs Czech Republic. Here are my observations.

1. Izzi came off the bench as a backup center and played about 12 MIN. She was 2-4 FG.
Two made FG: one short jumper just outside the block/charge arc left to the rim, one driving layup off of a pass of her teammate.
Two missed FG: one mid-range shot, one putback after an OREB.

2. Offensively, Canada is basically a two-player show with Shayeann Day Wilson (ESPN #41 player in the 2021 class, de-committed from Syracuse a few days ago) scoring 31 PT and Yvonne Ejim (Melvin Ejim's younger sister, Gonzaga) scoring 20 PT. Izzi was not a focal point of the offense and her main role was to set the screen and be a sort of decoy and get OREB from missed FGs. It's similar to Morgan Kane's role on our team.

3. Defensively, she can hold her ground down low and tried really hard but seems not mobile enough to guard the opponent's guards on the switch and she doesn't have a good jumping ability. She missed her assignments a few times. I'd say she might need more work on this end.

4. She grabbed 6 REB but 4 of them ended up in a jump-ball situation. One thing for sure is she's not afraid of hustling for the ball.

Because this is Izzi's first appearance with meaningful minutes in real competitions, the sample size is too small for a complete scouting report. I'd like to see more of her plays to see what she can do. Remember, how well a player performs sometimes depends on the system and the player's role on the team.

Team Canada will play their last group match vs Mali at 7:30am CT on Tuesday Aug. 10

Here's the video of the entire match vs Czech Republic.

Boxscore

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Update #3 on Izzi

In their final group match, Team Canada fell to Mali 88-62 due to poor shooting (31%) and high turnovers (24). I'm surprised the losing margin is this big because Canada was pretty competitive in the first two matches and Mali was 0-2 previously. They finished 1-2 in the group competition and rank 4th in the group standings. Regardless, every team of this World Cup advances to the knockout stage and is guaranteed to play 4 more matches. Team Canada (D4) will be facing France (C1) in the Round of 16 at 7AM CT on Wednesday, Aug. 11.

Izzi came off the bench and played about 5 and a half minutes in the first and third quarters with a minor role on the team and didn't get many touches. You can watch her only FG in the following video.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Update #4 on Izzi

In today's Round of 16 match, D4 Canada upset C1 France 79-72 and advances to the quarter-final. They will face Australia on Friday, Aug. 13.

Unfortunately, Izzi didn't play.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Anyone worried about COVID causing another shut down for attendance? Seeing the impact it is having on late season baseball games as hotspots rear their ugly heads concerns me. And with Iowa having a fairly low vaccination rate I won’t be surprised to see limitations put in place.
Absolutely.
It will all hit the fan in October.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Update #5 on Izzi

Team Canada lost a tough battle against Australia in the U19 World Cup quarter-final 72-61. Canada led by 6 pts after the third quarter but was outscored 29-12 in the fourth. It didn't help that their best player Shayeann Day Wilson only shot 6 of 22 from the field and the whole team turned it over 22 times. Canada's second-best player Yvonne Ejim had a solid game with a double-double. Canada will be playing tomorrow in the 5-8th place bracket.

Izzi: DNP-CD.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Problem for this team for Canada is it does not play alot of team ball a couple players want to be the show and it hurts the TEAM.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Update #6 on Izzi and FIBA U19 World Cup

Team Canada bounced back from yesterday's loss and defeated Russia 66-58. They will be playing the winner of Spain/Czech Republic in the 5th place match on Sunday, Aug. 15.

Izzi came off the beach and played about 5 and a half minutes in the first half. Her only FG was an offensive rebound putback from her own miss. You can check out her scoring play in the video below. Also, she was whistled an offensive foul when she made a layup and I think that call was questionable because she was penalized for her size and her defender kind of flopped. You can check out that play at the 32:41 mark.

It's also worth mentioning that Team USA is head and shoulder above the rest of the teams in this U19 World Cup. So far they have won all their games in blowout fashion. They average 103.8 pts/game with an average winning margin of 55.6 pts/game. An amazing stat is that USA hasn't lost a single quarter in this tournament. They once scored 40-5 in one of those quarters. I can predict with confidence that they will win this World Cup easily.

Caitlin Clark leads Team USA in scoring and assist and could be named the tournament MVP.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Update #7 on Izzi and FIBA U19 World Cup

After beating the Czech Republic 79-71 in the group match, Canada got to do it again in the 5th-place final and they delivered. A wire-to-wire 72-61 victory is the result of balanced scoring and contribution from everybody. Izzi came off the bench and played a little over 10 minutes (1Q, 2Q, 4Q) and scored the tournament high with 5 PTS (1-1 FG, 3-4 FG) with 2 REBS. You can check out her scoring play in the video below and a slow-motion reply at the 24:27 mark. I hope she has gained some valuable experience from this international competition.

As expected, in the championship final, Team USA defeated Australia 70-52 and is crowned their back-to-back U19 World Cup title. They have won every single quarter in this tournament.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames

Iowa State women’s basketball is one of the top three-point shooting teams in the country. Last season they attempted 782 threes—making 285 of them (third and fourth in D-I, respectively). ISU head coach Bill Fennelly is entering his 27th year at the helm and is one of just a dozen active D-I coaches to have compiled more than 700 wins.

Historically, Fennelly’s teams shoot a lot of triples. In fact, ISU holds the nation’s longest streak—going back to 1995—for consecutive games (827) with a made three-pointer. ISU has made 6,591 threes over the course of the streak and has made 10 or more threes in 243 games.

Her Hoop Stats talked to Coach Fennelly to get his thoughts about the new three-point line. Fennelly believes the new distance may actually increase the number of threes his team attempts because spacing will be even better for his players to drive and kick.

Fennelly also expects that players who already shoot the three well will benefit from the change. Conversely, teams who don’t like to shoot the three will be at more of a disadvantage with the line change and will likely face more zone defense from opposing teams.

Although incoming freshmen will now be shooting three’s almost 2.5 feet farther than they were in high school, Fennelly has been preparing his recruits for the change. “We told our new incoming kids for a year that this was coming,” he said. “Our current players tend to shoot behind the men’s line anyway, so we have no real concerns about them adjusting.”

Overall, Fennelly thinks that the increase in distance will not be a big change—and may even help ISU a little. But he has a prediction for teams who can’t shoot the three: “They are already behind and it will just get worse.”

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe44c0097-9e71-4464-b49d-acdf32f65b66_835x151.png

• Informative