Westworld

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Are we sure that they actually built the MiB? The fidelity experiments could be happening in a forge like world somewhere away from Westworld.

And..is this show really a prequel to the Matrix?

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
This paragraph sold me that you're right, it is a host.
So that means the hosts ("awake" ones anyway) can trick the scanners that the recovery team was using to verify humans for evac? Because Emily was scanned at one point, and Delores (as Hale) was scanned before getting on the boat.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So that means the hosts ("awake" ones anyway) can trick the scanners that the recovery team was using to verify humans for evac? Because Emily was scanned at one point, and Delores (as Hale) was scanned before getting on the boat.

Bernard beat the scanner at the secret facility with Hale, right?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I think security boy interrupted the scanning of Delores/Hale and than vouched for her as "okay" fully knowing she was not human.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Future seasons probably have to stick to the "what is life" route.

Hard to believe there'd be a rush to a theme park where people paying 40K a day got slaughtered by robots.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I think security boy interrupted the scanning of Delores/Hale and than vouched for her as "okay" fully knowing she was not human.
Chubbs? Because he was a host too, right? That was made clear in his little "the old man hired me" and using the phrase "core code" and "I'm on responsible for hosts inside the park (so you can leave and I don't care)".

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Chubbs? Because he was a host too, right? That was made clear in his little "the old man hired me" and using the phrase "core code" and "I'm on responsible for hosts inside the park (so you can leave and I don't care)".
I think that was intentionally meant to be left open-ended. My guess is Stubbs will have a role in helping the hosts in the real world, during season 3. But the fact that it isn't fully known whether he is or isn't, plays into the writers/directors hands.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
So, I'm like a lot of people here. My mind hurts thinking about where/when everything is at the end of season 2. This was an absolute mind-**** of a season.

My thought on the MiB seen at the end:

It's a super "in-the-future" type of consciousness. I think a host-descendant in an "Emily body" is working on recreating genuine humanity. William is a test subject, but not a host. (Because he is super evil? Because he killed her, she wants to make him suffer?) - So, I think robots/hosts have taken over the planet.

Season 1 and 2 proved humanity can be tested. Humans are just more code. (Maybe William is a host at that point, and his consciousness is there, and his daughter wants him to suffer?) I mean, when Emily takes William from Aketcha earlier, she says that he will suffer more with her. Maybe this is what she meant? And being taken by her, instead of staying with Akecheta, he continues farther on his loop where he shoots and kills Emily... presumably over and over and over again. Thus, William is being tested for fidelity IMO.

But, what do I know? Just a guess.

It was cool though.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So, I'm like a lot of people here. My mind hurts thinking about where/when everything is at the end of season 2. This was an absolute mind-**** of a season.

My thought on the MiB seen at the end:

It's a super "in-the-future" type of consciousness. I think a host-descendant in an "Emily body" is working on recreating genuine humanity. William is a test subject, but not a host. (Because he is super evil? Because he killed her, she wants to make him suffer?) - So, I think robots/hosts have taken over the planet.

Season 1 and 2 proved humanity can be tested. Humans are just more code. (Maybe William is a host at that point, and his consciousness is there, and his daughter wants him to suffer?) I mean, when Emily takes William from Aketcha earlier, she says that he will suffer more with her. Maybe this is what she meant? And being taken by her, instead of staying with Akecheta, he continues farther on his loop where he shoots and kills Emily... presumably over and over and over again. Thus, William is being tested for fidelity IMO.

But, what do I know? Just a guess.

It was cool though.

But we know fidelity with a human mind is not possible. Dolores said in the finale that she and Ford together couldn't make an exact copy of Arnold - they had to settle with Bernard, who is similar to Arnold, but has his own identity and was able to achieve fidelity. That's why I think everyone is making too much into that post-credit scene with MiB. I think this was just to show the audience the punishment she alluded to when she spoke with Aketcheta and nothing more than that.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
But we know fidelity with a human mind is not possible. Dolores said in the finale that she and Ford together couldn't make an exact copy of Arnold - they had to settle with Bernard, who is similar to Arnold, but has his own identity and was able to achieve fidelity. That's why I think everyone is making too much into that post-credit scene with MiB. I think this was just to show the audience the punishment she alluded to when she spoke with Aketcheta and nothing more than that.
I could be wrong, but didn't Logan's Being-thing state that they cracked the code of the human mind once they realized that their actions had no true meaning behind them? I haven't gone back and watched, but I thought that he stated they did find the code to create the copies. Hence all the books that were made and Delores was reading. And why William was so dead set on proving that a code can't tell him who he is.

Or was that just the consciousness, and not an actual replica?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I could be wrong, but didn't Logan's Being-thing state that they cracked the code of the human mind once they realized that their actions had no true meaning behind them? I haven't gone back and watched, but I thought that he stated they did find the code to create the copies. Hence all the books that were made and Delores was reading. And why William was so dead set on proving that a code can't tell him who he is.

Or was that just the consciousness, and not an actual replica?

I thought they determined that humans will ultimately make the same decision, no matter the variables. That was determined when James Delos turned his back on Logan. They came to the conclusion that there was no thing as free-will for humanity. I was under the assumption that the books were the calculated paths for humans that had entered the park and had their brains scanned. Dolores could use that information in the real world to manipulate these people (stock holders, the wealthy elite, etc) or at least know what was going to happen in the near, or even the distant future and be more calculated with her moves to overtake humanity with only a handful of hosts.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I thought they determined that humans will ultimately make the same decision, no matter the variables. That was determined when James Delos turned his back on Logan. They came to the conclusion that there was no thing as free-will for humanity. I was under the assumption that the books were the calculated paths for humans that had entered the park and had their brains scanned. Dolores could use that information in the real world to manipulate these people (stock holders, the wealthy elite, etc) or at least know what was going to happen in the near, or even the distant future and be more calculated with her moves to overtake humanity with only a handful of hosts.
That makes a lot more sense.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think this season kind of went off the rails for me at the end. It was a wierd arc. I didn't like the first few episodes all that much, really liked the middle of the season, and just feel frustrated at the finale. The show tries so hard to keep you off balance and not knowing what is truly going on it is just getting annoying now. I really like the themes and questions it raises about humanity, but the story is just too much of a mess for me right now.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Just binge watched this show over the past few days and it’s ******* amazing. I can’t wait for the rest of this show.

For the people saying it was mentally exhausting to watch, try not watching it week to week. Just binge multiple seasons at a time. I probably won’t touch this show again until a new whole season is out and can be binged. Otherwise it’s just too much of a mind ****, but watching 20 episodes in a row is wicked.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yeah, last year I rewatched all of season one over 3 nights as I introduced my wife to it. It felt much more natural that way. May need to do that with season 2 as well.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I hope that's close to the plan because there's more good seasons ahead if that's the path.

As with most entertainment properties dealing with sci-fi/fantasy you get a sense that they're just winging it at times.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Just binge watched this show over the past few days and it’s ******* amazing. I can’t wait for the rest of this show.

For the people saying it was mentally exhausting to watch, try not watching it week to week. Just binge multiple seasons at a time. I probably won’t touch this show again until a new whole season is out and can be binged. Otherwise it’s just too much of a mind ****, but watching 20 episodes in a row is wicked.
Saw a tweet the other day how HBO is thinking about shifting to Netflix style content meaning releasing full seasons all at once on their HBO app rather than waiting a week between episodes.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Saw a tweet the other day how HBO is thinking about shifting to Netflix style content meaning releasing full seasons all at once on their HBO app rather than waiting a week between episodes.
I think that would be great for some shows, but for others I think I'm a big fan of the having something to look forward to on my Sunday nights haha