What are you reading?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If you like true crime I’m reading Killers of the Flower Moon. It’s from the very early days of the FBI, when Hoover was shaping it. It follows a wild story of a string of murders on an oil rich Indian reservation.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread. I started reading it a long time ago but got disinterested about 1/3 through. Maybe will try again.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Wow, that collage looks good. Did you find it online or create it yourself ( your reading plan)?
I read Still Life by Louise Penny, but I can't say whether I like it because I've read only 20 pages.
Also, some time ago, I started reading Writing That Works; How to Communicate Effectively In Business because I am a Business student, and now I have more time, so I want to improve my skills.
But it's will be a helpful book for everyone, who has some official communication, and just for self development
I made it myself!

(It's an automated thing off of Goodreads)

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Just finished ‘In the Blood’ by Jack Carr. Great read. If you like Navy SEAL/CIA stuff, Jack Carr has some terrific stuff out there.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Best book I've read in a long time was:

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
by Robert Dugoni

I highly recommend it. Everyone I know who has read it thought it was a great read.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Picked up Rebel with a Cause at 1/2 price books yesterday. Always found the Jerry Tarkanian battles with the NCAA interesting.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Dead Wake is good as well. I tried In the Garden of Beasts and was a bit bored by it so I didn't finish. WWII subject matter was right up my alley, so I'll try it again.
I liked “ In the Garden of the Beasts”. Reading “Centerville A Mid-American Saga”. surprisingly good. Very well researched and written. Never thought I would read a 500 page book on Southeast Iowa.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Likely free eBooks and Audiobooks there, too! Don't give your money to Amazon.
I don't mind ordering from Amazon if not available at the library, and I really want to read it. However, it is a last resort. In the mean-time, I do try to concentrate on what is available at the Public Library. Unbelievable what is available.

Reactions: isucyfan

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I don't mind ordering from Amazon if not available at the library, and I really want to read it. However, it is a last resort. In the mean-time, I do try to concentrate on what is available at the Public Library. Unbelievable what is available.
And don't forget that your friendly local librarian would like to hear of titles you want that they don't have. They may even purchase them based on your suggestion.

• Informative
Reactions: AlaCyclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’ve been sporadic with “booking” lately … I consumed “The Nineties: A Book” (Chuck Klosterman) earlier this year. Didn’t commit to anything since, until a couple of weeks ago, these are in-progress.
  • “Theft By Finding: Dairies (1977-2002),” David Sedaris.
  • “The Beatles Are Coming: The Birth of Beatlemania in America.” (Courtesy copy from @MeanDean)

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I’ve been sporadic with “booking” lately … I consumed “The Nineties: A Book” (Chuck Klosterman) earlier this year. Didn’t commit to anything since, until a couple of weeks ago, these are in-progress.
  • “Theft By Finding: Dairies (1977-2002),” David Sedaris.
  • “The Beatles Are Coming: The Birth of Beatlemania in America.” (Courtesy copy from @MeanDean)
How was The Nineties? I read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Klosterman years ago and enjoyed it. I also love all things nineties so sounds like something I’d like.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
How was The Nineties? I read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Klosterman years ago and enjoyed it. I also love all things nineties so sounds like something I’d like.
I recommend it, especially if you embrace '90s-related stuff -- it's a worthy addition to the mix.

Micro-review/overview:
  • It isn't a definitive overview of the decade, only a slice of it, and he tries to approach it by describing what it was like as it was happening, instead of retrospective analysis (even so, you can feel nostalgia if you were "there" and it's impossible to look back and completely ignore what happened since).
  • His definition of "the '90s" begins ca. "Nevermind" and ends w/ 9/11, not 1990-99 ... timeline fits with the themes he explores.
  • Although he has released numerous NF books since Sex-Drugs-CC, if you liked his writing style for that, it has remained consistent, so "readability" factor is likely to appeal to you.

Reactions: Nothingman