What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

josha0510

Mar 26, 2023
As most have said, one of the most talented women's basketball players in recent history, but the antics are too much. "Let women talk trash. You wouldn't say the same about men." It's not the trash talking (which I do find annoying, but I get the appeal). It is the constant complaining to the refs AND her coach condoning it / ALSO doing it. Lisa Bluder and Caitlin Clark are probably the toughest combination of coach / player to watch in women's basketball because of it. The complaining has extended to other players even such as Martin. Caitlin maybe gets called for 2-3 fouls a game, but she throws her hands up every time she is called for a foul and even gets in the faces of the refs. I would hate to see that from a man or a woman.

The person that said 37% on 3-pointers... she is followed down the court all game. Dare I say she would shoot close to 50% if she didn't get as much attention on offense as she does. Also, I have to admit she has gotten more efficient as this season has continued on.

Whether she was an Iowa player or not, I could never root for her because of her attitude. That's just what I prefer in basketball players... players who let their game do the talking. Hailey Van Lith complimented Clark in a pre-game interview saying she has a lot of respect for her and there is a video online of Clark mid-game saying to Van Lith, "You're down by 15, shutup." Who knows if Van Lith said something to her or the ref, but it's a bit much. Again, I don't want to hear it from men or women players.

As a Maryland / Iowa St. fan who was gutted to see Maryland lose to SC Monday (and saw some of the worst officiating ever), SC is a class act and plays the basketball I like to see; excellent play from respectful players with a damn good coach.

Final assessment: Clark is a great player, but Clark / Iowa are completely unlikable and almost impossible to root for unless you're an Iowa fan. I think she will be successful in the WNBA and her game will translate well, but I will never root for her. As someone else said, Ionescu > Clark any day, for multiple reasons.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
show me one quote of anyone ******** about her taking 70% of the shots.

She has about 30% of the teams FGAs on the year. For comparison Joens had 25% of ISU's but with an assist rate that's like four times lower. Dunno feel like playing with the elite passer who gets you tons of easy shots is probably fun

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Final assessment: Clark is a great player, but Clark / Iowa are completely unlikable and almost impossible to root for unless you're an Iowa fan. I think she will be successful in the WNBA and her game will translate well, but I will never root for her. As someone else said, Ionescu > Clark any day, for multiple reasons.
Lol, I had no idea Steph Curry, Magic Johnson, John Cena, Lebron James, Dan Patrick, Kevin Durant, Billie Jean King, Jay Bilas, **** Vitale, Jay Williams, Stephen A, Isaiah Thomas were all Iowa fans.

Hold fast, the CC lovefest will likely be over by 10 pm Friday.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lol, I had no idea Steph Curry, Magic Johnson, John Cena, Lebron James, Dan Patrick, Kevin Durant, Billie Jean King, Jay Bilas, **** Vitale, Jay Williams, Stephen A, Isaiah Thomas were all Iowa fans.

Probably, unless CC hits 10+ 3's.

josha0510

Mar 26, 2023

Should have clarified if you like a similar style of play to myself. If you're into the trash talking / throwing your hands up every time their is a foul call, then sure, you can be a fan. I'm entertained by her style of play, but I'll never root for her.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Except we will probably have to endure it 2 more years. There isn't a good enough reason for her to go pro early

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
As most have said, one of the most talented women's basketball players in recent history, but the antics are too much. "Let women talk trash. You wouldn't say the same about men." It's not the trash talking (which I do find annoying, but I get the appeal). It is the constant complaining to the refs AND her coach condoning it / ALSO doing it. Lisa Bluder and Caitlin Clark are probably the toughest combination of coach / player to watch in women's basketball because of it. The complaining has extended to other players even such as Martin. Caitlin maybe gets called for 2-3 fouls a game, but she throws her hands up every time she is called for a foul and even gets in the faces of the refs. I would hate to see that from a man or a woman.

The person that said 37% on 3-pointers... she is followed down the court all game. Dare I say she would shoot close to 50% if she didn't get as much attention on offense as she does. Also, I have to admit she has gotten more efficient as this season has continued on.
Tyrus McGee was often left open. Same with Jake Sullivan, Matt Thomas and Fred Hoiberg. That’s not talking other players like Redick, Korver, Jimmer, Steph and others who never faced attention. It was a dumb comment.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Her complete court awareness as she attacks the offensive end of the court is what impresses me the most. Her passes are quick and the recipient had better be paying attention because they may not realize that it’s coming and that they are open. Do I like her antics? Of course not, but her desire to excel sets her apart since her physical build isn’t what makes her good. If she didn’t play with fire and attitude, I doubt she would be as good as she is. If more players had her zeal for the game, they’d probably be better too. I’ll cut her some slack because trash talking started in the NBA & has affected every level down to the Pee Wee leagues & some of their parents. She’s a skinny kid from Iowa at the top of her game, good for her & the State. If you can’t acknowledge talent because she wears black & gold, I used to be that way too.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Team Wingstop...

Attachments

• 21da4c21-20221117_iowa_womens_basketball_at_kansas_state_129-copy.jpg
    21da4c21-20221117_iowa_womens_basketball_at_kansas_state_129-copy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Haha
Reactions: NWICY

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Is she coming back next year? It will be interesting to see if Bluder can parlay this year's success into an uptick in recruiting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
She has about 30% of the teams FGAs on the year. For comparison Joens had 25% of ISU's but with an assist rate that's like four times lower. Dunno feel like playing with the elite passer who gets you tons of easy shots is probably fun
It's dudeman!!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Her complete court awareness as she attacks the offensive end of the court is what impresses me the most. Her passes are quick and the recipient had better be paying attention because they may not realize that it’s coming and that they are open. Do I like her antics? Of course not, but her desire to excel sets her apart since her physical build isn’t what makes her good. If she didn’t play with fire and attitude, I doubt she would be as good as she is. If more players had her zeal for the game, they’d probably be better too. I’ll cut her some slack because trash talking started in the NBA & has affected every level down to the Pee Wee leagues & some of their parents. She’s a skinny kid from Iowa at the top of her game, good for her & the State. If you can’t acknowledge talent because she wears black & gold, I used to be that way too.
I disagree about the physical build part. She is skinny-ish, but she is pretty normal build for a 6'0'' female playing college basketball. I think what helps set her apart, aside from her fortitude and mental aspects of the game is that she has long wing span. It helps her get her shots off and pull off the crazy passes in between and around defenders. She is a plus athlete in the women's game as well. She'll never dunk a ball in a game, but that has more to do with her being 6'0'' and not 6'5'' than anything.

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Is CC a great talent, yes. Does she do some exciting things, yes. That is where it ends for me.
It will be interesting to see how she handles the defensive pressure of S Carolina. Maybe I missed seeing it, but no one touches her. I would love to see how she would react to just getting ground on with hard, physical fouls like you see with S Carolina and LSU. Also, her biggest highlight is her last second shot against IU. Congrats to her for making the shot but an absolutely terrible defensive strategy by IU on that play. They put weak on ball pressure and single covered CC. That was bad.
I also dislike CC because there is a possible romantic connection between her and Connor McA$$hat. I don't know if it is a "birds of a feather," thing or if all the time with Connor, she has taken on his persona.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron