What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I do think there are some gender based undertones when people get riled up about her "attitude", etc. You see that stuff in the men's game and don't think twice. I like that she's firey and think it's good for the game.

She's a fun and unique player and good for the game. Stink she's a Hawk, but she's a fun watch.
Her gender has nothing to do with it. I cant stand the way the Hawk men act too. The coach and his sons especially. Same with their horrible fans, none of which matters what gender they are.

This idea that someone that dislikes a person instantly means it has to do with sex, sexuality, race, religion, nationality or anything like that needs to stop.

People can dislike someone or their actions or for a lot of reasons just as they can like them for whatever reasons, not everything has to have some deeper meaning that someone is a sexist or bigot.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I do think there are some gender based undertones when people get riled up about her "attitude", etc. You see that stuff in the men's game and don't think twice. I like that she's firey and think it's good for the game.

She's a fun and unique player and good for the game. Stink she's a Hawk, but she's a fun watch.
I hate it equally.

Reactions: carvers4math

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

It's the Hawk thing that keeps me from watching unfortunately.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
She is good for womens sports on the margin. I will say, it would be tough to be a teammate of hers, because she’s taking like 70% of the teams shots.
She is good for womens sports on the margin. I will say, it would be tough to be a teammate of hers, because she’s taking like 70% of the teams shots.
Clark has taken 28% of Iowa’s shots and scored right at 30% of their points. Joens has taken 26% of ISU points and scored 26% of their points. So pretty similar.

Plus Clark easily leads the country in assists. Actually seems like someone you’d love to play with.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What players, man or woman, shoot often from logo-length? If it leads to a 4-point play in the WNBA, that will add a whole new dimension to basketball.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't know if she's as impactful as Rebecca Lobo, Lisa Leslie etc. for this or even close to it. Is she even the best player in the country this year?

Like if Iowa loses early in the tourney she'll be long forgotten very quickly.

Players better than Clark in their prime the 2 you mentioned Britney Griner, Sue Bird, Diane Tarusi (spelling) maybe Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon), this yr Aliyah Boston.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Clark has taken 28% of Iowa’s shots and scored right at 30% of their points. Joens has taken 26% of ISU points and scored 26% of their points. So pretty similar.

Plus Clark easily leads the country in assists. Actually seems like someone you’d love to play with.
I’m old - rather than Steph Curry, I think Pistol Pete Maravich is the more apt comparison for Clark. He did whatever he wanted at LSU, scored 40 points / game and dished out tons of dimes.

I hate the hawks so it’s simply not possible for me to like Clark, but she is a phenomenal talent. Reprehensible but undeniably a phenomenal talent. Ashley would have left if CC committed to ISU, plus we had the 12th ranked commit in Lexi, so CBF backed off his recruitment. Can you imagine how good we’d be if CC was our PG setting up Ash?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Around these parts she's kind of a big deal. Your average Tavern Hawk can now say who she is and can now probably name Frau Bluder. That's progress of a sort.

Had a kid hired once that claimed to be a hawk fan gave me crap for supporting the Cyclones. She couldn't name the QB. To be fair she claimed to be Catholic but couldn't name the pope. However she did expose me to the world of rap and broadened my knowledge of marijuana useage and terminology. Pretty good kid though, she showed up on time and did a good job.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
More power to her. She’s fun to watch and is great for women’s college basketball. I like the Pete Maravich comparison above, I’ve thought the same thing.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I like her, I think I just have a problem with the colors and logo on her jersey. Would be much better if she played at some random school with less bearing on us. Like a random SEC, ACC, or Big East school other than Creighton etc.

I do not like her attitude with officials, but one has to realize that more across the sport are like her and few are composed like TJs group. It's even worse in the NBA. It is unfortunate that she can't carry herself a little better, given how big a brand she has become, but end of the day most people don't think refs are real people anyway. Let her whine, it doesn't seem to negatively impact her game.

NorthIowaCy

May 10, 2022
She is a fantastic ball player. Great scorer.
But, as a role model for young players, I find her actions on the court can be a problem. Young players should copy her work that got her to this point, not her actions on the court.

We see complaining to the refs way too often:
1678554188564.jpeg

Her shrug is a sign of disrespect to her opponents. It’s like, "You can’t stop me":
1678554220340.jpeg

This playing to the crowd is her way of saying, "Look at me! Aren’t I great":
1678554253429.jpeg

I’m reminded of Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. They let their play speak for them. Respect the game you are playing. Respect the officials. Respect your opponents. Respect your teammates.
No one person is more important than the game.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Well stated by many of you. She acts like the majority of their fan base.

She probably can't help but to act this way. It is ingrained due to her surroundings. No different than how Miller and jorbo have acted for the majority of their lives. They really believe how they act and talk is above everyone else while the vast majority of people could care less.

Reactions: 2speedy1

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I’m old - rather than Steph Curry, I think Pistol Pete Maravich is the more apt comparison for Clark. He did whatever he wanted at LSU, scored 40 points / game and dished out tons of dimes.

I hate the hawks so it’s simply not possible for me to like Clark, but she is a phenomenal talent. Reprehensible but undeniably a phenomenal talent. Ashley would have left if CC committed to ISU, plus we had the 12th ranked commit in Lexi, so CBF backed off his recruitment. Can you imagine how good we’d be if CC was our PG setting up Ash?
Seriously doubt she would set up Ashley.
Ashley is all class and Clark has no class on the court in my opinion

Cyfan2021

Mar 5, 2023
I know next to nothing about the Women’s game but when people are talking about her it’s like she’s the only women to ever make a 3 pointer.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Not much and not often. Didn’t see an option for that.

• Winner
Reactions: 67CY

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
A great player and a generational talent, but I'm tired of the media SLOBBERING all over her every time.
Generational talent is just not true. The player from Oregon was a more efficient version of her and that wasn’t long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.