What must happen to pull the upset???

cyradio

Sep 13, 2008
Looking at tomorrows game, here are some keys to pulling the victory:

1) Clearly, controling the ball is an absolute must (ie run game must be effective)

2) Create 3 or more turnovers

3) Force field goal attempts, not touchdowns

4) Score touchdowns, not field goals

5) Knock Daniels out early!!!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If we can get turnovers, eliminate big plays and force some field goals I think we can pull it off... Running the ball isn't necessary just scoring.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
You guys remember what the D looked like when Cody Hawkins moved his team into that hurry up offense? There is very little chance of us preventing the Tiggers from getting into the end zone unless the wind really becomes that much of a factor.

I think the one thing we need to avoid is knocking out Chase and having Blaine Gabbert come in to get his career started against us

Phenom

Nov 14, 2008
I don't worry too much about the Cyclones knocking Daniel out - this is his third full season of starting and he's only missed two snaps. Plus, Chase Patton, the back up, is good.

I do worry about ISU being able to control the ball and Chase throwing a couple picks. I see the game as being tough and really think Vegas has gone a little nuts by making the Tigers a 26 point favorite in Ames. Oh well.

Good luck tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't make it up to Ames.

Oh, what's the latest weather forecast? Last I saw it wasn't looking too terrible. The MU/KSU game in Columbia was cold and windy, so I feel a little better about Ames weather....

Dec 14, 2006
Ankeny

Yea, that worked against Colorado. For some weird reason we allways do worse when a backup comes in. If don't think so look it up.

I am guessing that the finger of god has to come down from the heavens and squish the Tigers. Sorry kool-aid drinkers.:sad::no:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
35 degrees, 20 mph winds coming out of the NW

Good chance of flurries. It' been raining here in Ames the last couple of days so the field could well be a mess as well.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If we can get turnovers, eliminate big plays and force some field goals I think we can pull it off... Running the ball isn't necessary just scoring.

Turnovers...and a healthy Chris Brown seems to go a long way towards that whole "eliminate big plays" thing. Field position, a big day from Brandtner, who is used to the swirling winds, could be big.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
A-Rob will need to go berserk. This is very likely. But also we need to keep them under 300 yards passing. Which is not as likely.

Phenom

Nov 14, 2008
35 degrees, 20 mph winds coming out of the NW

Good chance of flurries. It' been raining here in Ames the last couple of days so the field could well be a mess as well.

Well then, I'm no longer sorry I can't make it for the game....

I do believe the weather can act as an equalizer. I have no numbers to back that up, but still. In the preview I wrote, I summarized the Tigers last four trips to Ames - three Cyclone wins. I noted that the Cyclones were the better team, so losing three out of four wasn't bad. It's just how it happened. Ames isn't good to Tigers.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
A foodborne illness. The Mizzou football team has to eat their pre-game meal in Ames. Assuming a person from Ames and presumably a Cyclone fan prepares and serves the meal to them it’s not too much to hope for. If you are reading this and you’re the one preparing their meal. Don’t follow the instructions on the sign in the bathroom. Do not wash you hands!

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Well it is supposed to be pretty cold tomorrow, but I am not sure if it will be cold enough for Hell to freeze over

hell-froze-over.jpg

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well then, I'm no longer sorry I can't make it for the game....

I do believe the weather can act as an equalizer. I have no numbers to back that up, but still. In the preview I wrote, I summarized the Tigers last four trips to Ames - three Cyclone wins. I noted that the Cyclones were the better team, so losing three out of four wasn't bad. It's just how it happened. Ames isn't good to Tigers.

In 2000, I'd say ISU was clearly the better team.

In 2002, ISU was the better team, but only barely.

In 2004, ISU was the better team, but lost in obscenely agonizing fashion.

In 2006, Missouri was the better team, but ISU was emotionally charged and Gary decided to run a QB keeper from the shotgun at the 1-yard line on the last play of the game.

So, yes, I'd agree with you that we have been the better team 3 out of the last 4 meetings in Ames. Before the season started I thought this was a game our guys could get, as I was not overly impressed with the Tigers this year. I just thought there would be more riding on this game for us (i.e., bowl eligibility) than what we really have to gain (um, 3rd win, hooray, etc.).

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
We need to run a defense that does not require a linebacker to cover their receivers over the middle... else they will exploit that all day.

I hope we come out and give them a run for the money - they will want it bad - but our guys are dang hungry too!

Go Clones!

Last edited:

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Im going to say its not Daniels we need to worry about, Its his surrounding talent. We beat Daniels in 2006 with a really really sub par defense. Its not better this year by any means, but while playing in JTS, this years defense can be stout.
I dont think we can rely as much on the rushing game as alot of you think. BIGGEST KEY TO THE GAME IS TO HAVE 3RD AND SHORT AND CONVERT!
We must score touchdowns in the redzone, force fumbles and INTs. ISU needs to get in the game early, and finally finish one off for the seniors, for the fans, for the coaches. Its going to be tough, this is a tough Missouri team, But the cards are stacked against Mizzou this year, Nothing to lose for Iowa State. Its balls to the wall, playbook out Gene Chizik football.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Looking at tomorrows game, here are some keys to pulling the victory:

1) Clearly, controling the ball is an absolute must (ie run game must be effective)

2) Create 3 or more turnovers

3) Force field goal attempts, not touchdowns

4) Score touchdowns, not field goals

I agree with no5...The only REAL chance that ISU has is to knock Chase Daniels out of the game early, because if good olde Chase stays in the game... the mizzou tiggers mite just put up 60 points, the way our.. aka isu... defense plays against the dreaded "SPREAD-OFFENCE".....:sad:

Phenom

Nov 14, 2008
In 2000, I'd say ISU was clearly the better team.

In 2002, ISU was the better team, but only barely.

In 2004, ISU was the better team, but lost in obscenely agonizing fashion.

In 2006, Missouri was the better team, but ISU was emotionally charged and Gary decided to run a QB keeper from the shotgun at the 1-yard line on the last play of the game.

So, yes, I'd agree with you that we have been the better team 3 out of the last 4 meetings in Ames. Before the season started I thought this was a game our guys could get, as I was not overly impressed with the Tigers this year. I just thought there would be more riding on this game for us (i.e., bowl eligibility) than what we really have to gain (um, 3rd win, hooray, etc.).

The '04 game was a weird one for me. The Tigers had lost five in a row and I was nearly to the point of not caring. I wanted to see ISU in the B12 Champ game, if only to see someone different, and ISU fans in KC (where I live) is always fun. I miss the olden days of the Big 12 bball tourney at Kemper. Anyway, I of course rooted for the Tigers, but part of me was disappointed with the win.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I agree with no5...The only REAL chance that ISU has is to knock Chase Daniels out of the game early, because if good olde Chase stays in the game... the mizzou tiggers mite just put up 60 points, the way our.. aka isu... defense plays against the dreaded "SPREAD-OFFENCE".....:sad:

It might be fitting to knock Daniels out of the game, since that's the way he came into being a starter all those years ago, but I really don't think it would do us any good. Partton, the backup is a fifth year senior, and Gabbart isn't exactly Swiss cheese.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Wasn't it in 2005 when we had a 10 point lead against Missouri in the 4th quarter and than we knocked starting QB Brad Smith, who was a pretty damn good QB, out of the game. Than in came Chase Daniel for the first time ever and lead Missouri to the OT win?