What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
ISU is in no position to make a switch and that was pretty clear after JP's video to ISU fans.

Talent is an issue, but the X's and O's lacks is really bad, too. Even with Haliburton this year, ISU would have still been at the bottom of the conference.
I actually came away more optimistic than I had been. I think if we lose out he’s gone. I think he can win 3 more games and still be iffy. I think the money is there is we need to. I also think Jamey is going to be trying to sell hope next year for basketball to help with donations.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
I actually came away more optimistic than I had been. I think if we lose out he’s gone. I think he can win 3 more games and still be iffy. I think the money is there is we need to. I also think Jamey is going to be trying to sell hope next year for basketball to help with donations.

The best way to help sell hope to the fan base is probably going to be having a new staff.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
“We need everyone to renew season tickets and donate to Cyclone Club.” Although he didn’t specifically mention basketball season tickets he knows that only the diehards are going to renew if Prohm is the coach. That is maybe 7,000 season tickets. You are going to have a 50-60% full Hilton on most nights.
JP is a smart business man. If we can cover the buy out of Prohm from private donations then you can hire a mid-major coach at 1.7 million for 4 years and have that coach’s buyout covered in the reduction in price from Prohm’s annual salary.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby and ATCy

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Yes this. The people who want to keep prohm and see if he can turn it around dont seem to understand this part. They may be right that prohm is a good coach who needs more time and has had bad luck. ISU may be the dark period of the Steve Prohm redemption story, much like Gmac. However, fans are not patient. fans need hope and something to cheer for. You get that with a new coach.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I guess my point was there is a weird anti TJ group. I don’t know if you are a part of that.

At the start of the year I wanted TJ. I had paused on that a little due to their start but they look to be back on track. If they finish the year strong I’m all in on TJ.

Anti this.........pro that, I'm not one for political euphemisms made to marginalize. I don't know T.J. and have no idea how he would do. My problem that those who know him personally, are strictly advocating for him don't care how we do.........just let him have the job. That's what got us GMAC. How long do you think GMAC is here if Altman doesn't go to Oregon? And GMAC never had a winning season. Scary thought is it not? We don't need anymore good ol boy, nice guy here.

And for those who say he is such a stellar recruiter.......remember he was the main recruiter under GMAC when GMAC admitted they underestimated what type of recruit they needed at this level. So how much of this "T.J. the recruiter" is due to Fred, Lutz and Sadler just being able to coach up players? Making T.J. look good. Because as you can see GMAC is winning without T.J recruits. Something he never did here. So I'm not sold on the guy. Nothing personal. And I'm fairly certain had he not been a recruiter here or married to an ISU legend no one here would even know who he is let alone consider him for the job.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Anti this.........pro that, I'm not one for political euphemisms made to marginalize. I don't know T.J. and have no idea how he would do. My problem that those who know him personally, are strictly advocating for him don't care how we do.........just let him have the job. That's what got us GMAC. How long do you think GMAC is here if Altman doesn't go to Oregon? And GMAC never had a winning season. Scary thought is it not? We don't need anymore good ol boy, nice guy here.

And for those who say he is such a stellar recruiter.......remember he was the main recruiter under GMAC when GMAC admitted they underestimated what type of recruit they needed at this level. So how much of this "T.J. the recruiter" is due to Fred, Lutz and Sadler just being able to coach up players? Making T.J. look good. Because as you can see GMAC is winning without T.J recruits. Something he never did here. So I'm not sold on the guy. Nothing personal. And I'm fairly certain had he not been a recruiter here or married to an ISU legend no one here would even know who he is let alone consider him for the job.

The guys Otz recruited to ISU under GMac were very good. The talent wasn't the issue there. Garrett/Brackins/Taylor/Ejim are some very good players.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I’ll use the comparison to Craig Smith. What about his record is dramatically better.

TJ has recruiting ties to our normal recruiting grounds. You complain about TJ as a recruiter due to McDermott. I guess I didn’t think we had problems getting the big names it was the mid tier names that we didn’t properly get. As TJ was here longer that got better so I’m going with he improved in that aspect. You can also look at our recruiting dropped off big time when he left Fred’s teams.

Coaching candidates are always good coaches from mid majors with connections nearby.

Back to Craig Smith. If he hadn’t been at South Dakota would he be a name we talk about. Same thing for Medved. If he wasn’t at Drake would we be looking at him? DeVries is the same way.

Is TJ a sure thing no but he is a good candidate. His connections to the school shouldn’t hurt him.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yes Fred is not coming back to coach in Ames. You are only half right about hating their time back in Ames. It is Carol who didn't like it. And she calls the shots. I would see Fred at Lowe's and other places around town. Almost no one bothering him. In fact, he would get a big grin on his face when people would walk-by and say 'Hi Fred'. Fred would not have gone out if he felt that he was being bothered.
What is up with coaches wives being b****es about living in Ames? We hear rumors that Prohm's wife hates it too. Chizik's wife talked **** about it too if I recall. What did Ames ever do to them?

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
Yes. His best class ever or whatever just got spanked by okst fresh man. Yes foster was missing, but so was cade for okst.

I don't understand how anyone can take any meaningful conclusion from this game. We ran a rotation of 7 players, missing four starters, and 2 weeks of essentially no practice due to COVID issues. To use this game as an indictment on the coaching staff shows a failure to give Prohm any sort of essential wiggle room in this situation. Man this thread is toxic...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
What is clear last night is Prohm’s recruiting is overrated.

What is also clear is that no matter the players, his scheme/system is broken. No ball movement, hero ball (seriously - how do you end a game with 5 assists??), no attention to rebounding (we got outrebounded by 30 last night!!!), not defensive gameplan (tons and tons of easy layups and baskets). It doesn't matter who the players are, this is an all to common theme with Steve Prohm coached Iowa State teams. Last night made that glaringly obvious.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Ok, Drew. You proved me wrong, lol.

#faketext
This is why I won't pay for any autographed merchandise. I'll get an autograph if the opportunity presents itself, but no way am I logging on to Pristine Auction or buying something off Ebay/Facebook Marketplace that claims to be an authentic autograph. Way too easy to forge/fake.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I’d take Wayne right now.
Call him up! What's he up to these days? Didn't he sell satellites or something out of Cedar Rapids? Not sure how he never landed another coaching gig, even as an assistant.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah I don’t know how or why but Prohm seems to recruit a lot of guys with funky looking shots.
He has the market cornered on guys who can trick the recruiting ranking systems. How many mid-high 3 star guys have we had now that really have struggled? Simeon Carter, Jakolby Long, Terrence Lewis, Zion Griffin, Leech & Anderson? Jury probably out on Tre still. Not wanting to lump any of the current FR into this category yet, but hard to see it with any of them so far.

• Winner
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Brackins, Justin Hamilton, Garrett, Wes Johnson and Gilstrap weren’t Big 12 caliber players.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I don't understand how anyone can take any meaningful conclusion from this game. We ran a rotation of 7 players, missing four starters, and 2 weeks of essentially no practice due to COVID issues. To use this game as an indictment on the coaching staff shows a failure to give Prohm any sort of essential wiggle room in this situation. Man this thread is toxic...
Comparing our freshman who got a lot of playing time against their freshman isnt allowed? All last season people were talking about how much better our freshman and transfers would be than the players we were losing. Our freshmen shot 25% and scored 17 pts. Theirs shot 62% and dropped 44 on us while grabbing a combined 16 rebounds and that doesn't include their best player who is also a freshman who sat out. Our entire team only grabbed 19 rebounds.

No one expected to win this game. The only hope we had for this game was to see people play who dont get to play a lot. The future of our program was on display against the future of okstate. Okstate only played 1 senior and 2 juniors out of 9 players seeing the floor. One of their juniors is a former walkon who only saw 9 minutes of play.

Okstate played horrendously sloppy and still beat us by 21 while missing their best player.