When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Great, so you can try it on and buy it if it makes sense for you. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
Just to confuse you some more. The cost to buy it is the same as 5 years worth of monthly subscriptions. I have a couple trips coming up that I'm thinking of subscring for that month.

The free autopilot on the car uses the same hardware as the full self driving. Auto pilot works plenty well for me. Auto Pilot is basically self driving on the highway, but the driver has to initiate lane changes. It's good enough for me 99% of the time, but I've yet to try the full self driving mode.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Asking for help of the thread.

- looking to buy or lease within next 4-8 months.
- Needs to be PHEV or EV...I cannot fathom going back to the local $5-7 gas
- Would like something AWD for mountain backpacking trips 5-10 times a year, might consider non awd but not low clearance. I could rent something for those trips but would rather not.
- Don't want or need an actual truck, small crossover or SUV AWD is ideal
- If PHEV, needs decent gas mileage because sometimes I drive 4-12 hours on highway before I even get to the area where AWD is required...this is why Jeep 4xE isn't ideal

I'm just starting to look and I'm not remotely a "car guy" but ideas are...
- Honda Prologue EV
- Subaru Soltera EV
- Rav4 Prime PHEV
- Rivian probably too expensive unless I'm missing something

I had Subaru Crosstrek PHEV and it actually worked great for my AWD needs, great gas mileage in hybrid mode and plugging in made 80% of my daily driving electric. I know it's different around the country but I'm positive PHEV saved me at least a few thousand vs ICE model of same car. The down side of this car was there's practically no trunk space because they just stuck the battery in the trunk.
Obviously no first hand experience. But I will be curious about reviews on the new 2025 Toyota 4Runner hybrid. It's going to be available this fall and is built on same platform as the Tacoma and Tundra.

Car & Driver Article on 2025 4Runner

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Obviously no first hand experience. But I will be curious about reviews on the new 2025 Toyota 4Runner hybrid. It's going to be available this fall and is built on same platform as the Tacoma and Tundra.

Car & Driver Article on 2025 4Runner
I drove the non hybrid Tacoma about a month ago (and my wife had a 4runner for quite a while) for a test drive. Coming from my 3rd gen Tacoma (and that 4Runner) I was amazed at how much more powerfull that turbo 4 cylinder felt over the 3.5L V6 I had in the Tacoma. That hybrid in that truck/SUV is going to be outstanding.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Looks like yesterday was the day that Toyota allowed people to review the new 4 runner. A lot of stuff out there on YouTube.

It will be interesting to see if this one goes until 2039 until it's next redesign :)

• Funny
Reactions: CascadeClone

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Or switch to a bike!

I wish I remember the source but I read an opinion piece some years ago and the author‘s opinion was e-bikes will be what drive our transition to electric transportation and not cars. It was an interesting take.

Reactions: simply1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I wish I remember the source but I read an opinion piece some years ago and the author‘s opinion was e-bikes will be what drive our transition to electric transportation and not cars. It was an interesting take.
Brother in law in Kansas City area decided to not get an additional car as a second kid got their drivers license. He got an ebike instead and takes it to work every day, a trip of around 3 miles one way. He loves it because he can get some exercise but isn't totally sweaty when he gets there since he has a professional position. Of course this is a bit easier in KC than in the Twin Cities.

Reactions: BigTurk and simply1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Brother in law in Kansas City area decided to not get an additional car as a second kid got their drivers license. He got an ebike instead and takes it to work every day, a trip of around 3 miles one way. He loves it because he can get some exercise but isn't totally sweaty when he gets there since he has a professional position. Of course this is a bit easier in KC than in the Twin Cities.
One of my former employers had a nice bike area with lockers and a shower, made it really nice.

• Winner

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Looks like yesterday was the day that Toyota allowed people to review the new 4 runner. A lot of stuff out there on YouTube.

It will be interesting to see if this one goes until 2039 until it's next redesign :)
As the owner of a 2022 4Runner, I support this statement. Its a great vehicle, but 18mpg and no auto-on headlights make it seem like its from 1972.

Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
As the owner of a 2022 4Runner, I support this statement. Its a great vehicle, but 18mpg and no auto-on headlights make it seem like its from 1972.
Friend of mine recently bought a 2019 RAV4...no automatic lights. But it does do automatic high beams. And lane keeping and all that.

For all the standard cameras and safety features on cars these days, how the hell are there still models that don't have automatic headlights as standard?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Friend of mine recently bought a 2019 RAV4...no automatic lights. But it does do automatic high beams. And lane keeping and all that.

For all the standard cameras and safety features on cars these days, how the hell are there still models that don't have automatic headlights as standard?
Wow I had no idea this wasn’t standard on all vehicles.
I’m always so confused when I see newer vehicles with their lights off at dusk/night driving around WDM

• Agree

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Wow I had no idea this wasn’t standard on all vehicles.
I’m always so confused when I see newer vehicles with their lights off at dusk/night driving around WDM
My observation has been that domestic makes tend to include auto lights on base/fleet models these days, but some foreigns still don't. Particularly Japanese. It's crazy to me, like, the cost savings on those vehicles to not have it must be in pennies. For an extremely-basic, safety-oriented feature. There's plenty more, much more expensive safety features already included.

Reactions: DSMCy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Interesting discussion on how Tesla impacted the rise of BYD. TLDR: Chinese automakers are supposedly 5-7 years ahead of Euro manufacturers when it comes to EV’s.

Kind of interesting considering Chinese solar panels are basically tops right now too.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My observation has been that domestic makes tend to include auto lights on base/fleet models these days, but some foreigns still don't. Particularly Japanese. It's crazy to me, like, the cost savings on those vehicles to not have it must be in pennies. For an extremely-basic, safety-oriented feature. There's plenty more, much more expensive safety features already included.
I've posted some analysis before I believe in this thread about domestic vs foreign. For like-to-like vehicles and features, domestic are about 15-20% more expensive in many categories. Usually I compare the top 2 models of each make for my comparisons as I like things like HUD, turning headlights, etc. Now with Parkinson's I've unfortunately just gotten rid of likely my last vehicle:(

Ford Explorer vs Toyota Highlander - Highlander Premium all decked out is $15K less than similar Ford Explorer.
Jeep Grand Cherokee fully decked can be incredibly higher - and it's the least reliable vehicle on the road by many measurements.

Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, Jeep Compass, etc are all more expensive feature to feature than Toyota and most of the time Honda. And with reliability and satisfaction rankings, you're not getting anything extra.

I would be all Ford but every time our leases come up, I compare Highlander Premium vs Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Equinox, etc and the Toyota always comes out a minimum of $10K less and I've now had 5 of them in a row without a single issue.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've posted some analysis before I believe in this thread about domestic vs foreign. For like-to-like vehicles and features, domestic are about 15-20% more expensive in many categories. Usually I compare the top 2 models of each make for my comparisons as I like things like HUD, turning headlights, etc. Now with Parkinson's I've unfortunately just gotten rid of likely my last vehicle:(

Ford Explorer vs Toyota Highlander - Highlander Premium all decked out is $15K less than similar Ford Explorer.
Jeep Grand Cherokee fully decked can be incredibly higher - and it's the least reliable vehicle on the road by many measurements.

Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, Jeep Compass, etc are all more expensive feature to feature than Toyota and most of the time Honda. And with reliability and satisfaction rankings, you're not getting anything extra.

I would be all Ford but every time our leases come up, I compare Highlander Premium vs Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Equinox, etc and the Toyota always comes out a minimum of $10K less and I've now had 5 of them in a row without a single issue.
Just sat in a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee (The highest end one). Massaging seats, screen for the passenger to watch movies, etc. He bought it last month for $15k off of sticker. Looks like the auto market is starting to loosen up a little.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just sat in a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee (The highest end one). Massaging seats, screen for the passenger to watch movies, etc. He bought it last month for $15k off of sticker. Looks like the auto market is starting to loosen up a little.
That's a good sign. My parents bought one either early this year or late last year and are happy. I think the problem with Jeeps is you can have a vehicle with a starting price of like 40K that can have a top end price of like 100K. I know they've become status symbols for professors, newer C-suite execs, etc but the range is insane.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
From what I've seen sticker price on Domestic vehicles is considerably higher than Japanese but the domestic dealers are more likely to wheel and deal where it all works out to paying about the same. My coworker and I both just bought 1/2 ton hybrid pick-ups within a couple months of each other. List price for his Ford was $7-$8k more than my Toyota with similar options. Our out the door prices were within a couple hundred of each other with his being just a little less than mine.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

What prices are you comparing? The domestic auto makers tend to rely on large money off of msrp versus the foreign automakers.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Or switch to a bike!

I just got an electric bike delivered (the Ride1Up Turris). This weekend I'll be assembling it. I'm planning to use it for my daily commute most of the time. It'll be interesting to see how much I end up using it for errands and other things around town as well.

Reactions: simply1