When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 132 18.1%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.7%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 375 51.4%

• Total voters

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
What vehicle is it?

Do you have Xcel for your electricity?
Model 3. We do have xcel. Have not switched to their plan for EV but think we’re like 8 or 9 cents per KWH over night so very cheap.

By my calculations we’ve spent less than 100 in four months charging it (that’s mostly at home with some free supercharging a few times which we got for first 6 months).

Reactions: NWICY

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I never considered not getting the garage charger but if I look at our use, it would have probably worked. I assume 110 would give you at least 40 miles in a 12 hour period.

I've thought about this a lot. Our usage is that neither of our vehicles ever make it over 60 miles during a weekday. On the weekend, our van regularly (7 out of 10 weekends) goes on longer trips >100 miles. The secondary vehicle usually sits in the garage or continues to go < 60 miles per day. Rarely (1 out of 10 weekends?) both vehicles go on long trips at the same time.

I truly thing we could get by with just the 110 volt charger >98% of the time.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Model 3. We do have xcel. Have not switched to their plan for EV but think we’re like 8 or 9 cents per KWH over night so very cheap.

By my calculations we’ve spent less than 100 in four months charging it (that’s mostly at home with some free supercharging a few times which we got for first 6 months).
I mean it's $.028 per kwh on their plan. Yes you'll need to install and buy/rent a charger from them, but there are rebates sometimes as well.

I work from home and I can't imagine not having it. We prefer to road trip in the Rivian vs our Rav4 hybrid, so this allows us to do that easily.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
That's really my point. People notice this stuff PASSIONATELY. They notice it even if it doesn't apply to them at all (I believe you it applies to you). In these discussions in the thread it seems half of us are driving 60,000 miles a year and over 1000 miles many days. It's just not realistic for people in general.
Nearly everyone uses their vehicle for occasional long trips. including going out-of-state. With Tesla's system, such trips are more practical than the public systems, but either way some planning ahead is a good idea and there is a real risk of being stranded. Comparatively, in most parts of the country, a gas station is rarely very far away. Most Americans use the new car for trips and the old car for work.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I never considered not getting the garage charger but if I look at our use, it would have probably worked. I assume 110 would give you at least 40 miles in a 12 hour period.
That really depends on the vehicle we're talking about. A sedan or small SUV you could probably get by on 110V charging. If you're talking about a Lightning then you need 240V. What I'm seeing with a lightning is I was getting about 1 mile of range per hour I was plugged into 110V. I have 9 miles round trip so I could basically break even with my commute on 110V.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
That really depends on the vehicle we're talking about. A sedan or small SUV you could probably get by on 110V charging. If you're talking about a Lightning then you need 240V. What I'm seeing with a lightning is I was getting about 1 mile of range per hour I was plugged into 110V. I have 9 miles round trip so I could basically break even with my commute on 110V.
Did it change in the cold?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Not a lot but I also have a garage with in-floor heat and I keep my garage at 50 degrees in the winter. I was also able to plug into a 5kW charger at work which kept my battery relatively warm but it didn't make much of a dent in the SOC during the course of the day.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Today is going to be VERY interesting for Tesla. Here's a snippet of The Verge's latest summary. While it is still a very valuable brand, it is certainly having some issues.

When Tesla releases its first quarter earnings this afternoon, the company’s CEO Elon Musk will field the usual questions about new products, new factories, and progress toward its futuristic vision of self-driving cars and robot workers. But Musk will also face increasingly urgent questions about its current state of affairs — and why everything seems to be going to ****.

Earlier this month, the company reported its first year-over-year sales drop in four years, a sign of rougher waters ahead. Tesla’s stock has fallen more than 40 percent since the start of the year, including a 13 percent drop in the last week. The company laid off over 14,000 employees last week, 10 percent of its global workforce — which could end up being closer to 20 percent when all’s said and done, according to Bloomberg. Today’s earnings report is expected to include Tesla’s lowest profit margins in six years, a sign that rampant price-cutting continues to exact a toll.

Much hope was pinned on the company’s forthcoming affordable EV, the so-called $25,000 “Model 2.” But then Reuters reported that Musk has canceled the project, preferring to sink the company’s resources into a fully autonomous robotaxi. (Musk called the Reuters report “lies” but has yet to affirm any support for the low-cost model.)

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I have plugged in at our cabin and was able to gain about 1-1.5 miles per hour during below zero weather. I was very worried, as many people who have done this, can't even gain any range, as the car is just doing enough to maintain the battery. Oddly enough, the car in the garage charging, kept some heat in there and it was able to charge.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Today is going to be VERY interesting for Tesla. Here's a snippet of The Verge's latest summary. While it is still a very valuable brand, it is certainly having some issues.

I know he won't meet his timeline, he never does, but I'm really rooting for Tesla to deliver on autonomy. I think about someone like my mother who voluntarily gave up her car, because her driving skills had diminished. She lives in small town Iowa, and this would be life changing for people like her.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I know he won't meet his timeline, he never does, but I'm really rooting for Tesla to deliver on autonomy. I think about someone like my mother who voluntarily gave up her car, because her driving skills had diminished. She lives in small town Iowa, and this would be life changing for people like her.
I think it would be fantastic as well. I also think Tesla made a mistake moving away from radar, ultra sonic sensors, and lidar to only using vision. They can't even get the rain sensing wipers on vision very well. Maybe they'll get vision only working better than having those other systems.

Reactions: cynuck

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'd never thought about that, for older folks. Auto-drive is sort of a killer app for the elderly, to keep them from being homebound. Lots of them can get around ok, slowly, but driving is really risky.

edit: maybe "killer app for the elderly" isn't the best choice of words ever... :oops:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I like CR, but this is a tough comparison by "brand". Size of vehicles, target markets (ie lots of basic cars vs luxury SUVs) can change those numbers quite a bit. e.g. Land Rover doesn't make anything in the "cheap and cheerful" segment like a Corolla or a Civic; that's gonna skew things. Not sure how relevant this is overall.

I am very curious how the engine+transmission vs batteries+elec motors works out over time. You will save a boatload not having all that heavy metal and moving, grinding parts in an ICE engine and transmission. But how long will batteries and elec motors last, and what will they cost to replace? I would think the elec motors won't be too bad, pretty mature tech, probably can be re-manufactured fairly well. Leaving batteries as the question mark. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Anyone have experience adding panels to an existing solar install, to support an EV?

I was told you have to est the additional kWh needed, and can add panels based on that as approved by the utility, but curious if anyone here has actually done it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I like CR, but this is a tough comparison by "brand". Size of vehicles, target markets (ie lots of basic cars vs luxury SUVs) can change those numbers quite a bit. e.g. Land Rover doesn't make anything in the "cheap and cheerful" segment like a Corolla or a Civic; that's gonna skew things. Not sure how relevant this is overall.

I am very curious how the engine+transmission vs batteries+elec motors works out over time. You will save a boatload not having all that heavy metal and moving, grinding parts in an ICE engine and transmission. But how long will batteries and elec motors last, and what will they cost to replace? I would think the elec motors won't be too bad, pretty mature tech, probably can be re-manufactured fairly well. Leaving batteries as the question mark. Will be interesting to see how it works out.
I’m not sure I follow, are you saying luxury brands should be expected to have more maintenance costs? That’s kind of the point of the article, giving out expected maintenance costs.

“If you are considering a luxury model, it may be wise to purchase one from a domestic brand that may have lower maintenance and repair costs,” says Elek. “For example, over 10 years, Mercedes-Benz models are more than double the cost to maintain and repair as those from Lincoln.”

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yes new construction the costs would be significantly lower. Retrofitting/remodeling on the other hand can be a whole can of worms when it comes to electrical service. (I am a 'former' electrician). The cost of the components isn't all that significant, but the labor and all the activities needed to get a wire from point A to B in a remodel could be prohibitive. Another thing to consider here though is 'running an extension cord out the window' isn't a scalable (nor safe) permanent solution.

Time marches on, man. The house I grew up in had an oil fired gravity "octopus" furnace that was coal fired before it was converted to oil. Later that got replaced with a forced air gas furnace. When I was a kid the gas stove in the kitchen was fed from propane tanks periodically delivered to the house. Of course, the natural gas conversion required gas lines from the street right way be installed. Central A/C added required a new electrical box. Earlier than that a huge old energy pig of a window A/C required a 240 be installed. Next up for that old house will likely to another electrical upgrade as clothes drier, furnace and stove were still all gas. If it were still in the family, and I was still a young man, I'd strip it to the studs, rewire the whole damn thing and put in new windows and some real insulation. And drop solar panels on the steep roof.

*** Little kid me was wondering why convert to gas when dad sold fuel oil for a living. Old man was not stuck in his ways.

Help Support Us

Become a patron