Which Iowa border state would you be most afraid of in a state vs state civil war?

Which one?

• Total voters

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
I mean, would we miss them?
Hahaha, I live in the indianola area 5 miles north of highway 92 and it is actually wild how much of a stark dividing line that highway is in Iowa. Right when you go south of it it's just different, good people but just different and I mean immediately south of it, it's crazy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I grew up close to the border. There might be some clear way that Minnesota should either attack or defend, but then they will end up doing the opposite for some asinine reason they thought up and then be totally comfortable with it going to hell right in front of them.

@Al_4_State will back me up on this.
Honestly the rural areas would probably join us as they seem to despise the twin cities folk. So I’m not worried there.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
None. If state governments took a side in a civil war, each state would, be rife with opposition, saboteurs, spies. More likely, cities would be fighting rural folk. Commerce would grind to a halt unless it can be flown. Guessing Wisconsin has the most militia members. They might have the ability to take and control large rural areas with the threat of force.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They could melt all of their snow at once though and basically segment Iowa into smaller portions. I think invading into the boundary waters would feel like trying to invade Russia.
They would flood themselves. Their rivers flow north to the the twin cities.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
None. If state governments took a side in a civil war, each state would, be rife with opposition, saboteurs, spies. More likely, cities would be fighting rural folk. Commerce would grind to a halt unless it can be flown. Guessing Wisconsin has the most militia members. They might have the ability to take and control large rural areas with the threat of force.

I think it's between WI and MI.

Preppers too.

Or are they the same?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it's between WI and MI.

Preppers too.

Or are they the same?
According to this it's Missouri and Nebraska, at least on a per capita basis. Missouri comes in as the 16th overall state and Nebraska as the 12th.

As for preppers and militia, maybe not exactly the same but there's a lot of overlap in that venn diagram I bet.

Reactions: madguy30

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
The POW camp was outside of Algona where the local airport is located now. You are right that the POW museum is just down from the Dairy Queen, which has typically been closed for the winter. That DQ has been for sale beore so the closure might have become permanent.

"Silent Night in Algona" is a movie about the POW camp and the building of the nativity scene by the German prisoners housed there. That nativity scene is still on display at the Kossuth County Fairgrounds. There is also an Ag and Motorsports museum at the fairgrounds that is open on non winter weekends.

• Informative

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The POW camp was outside of Algona where the local airport is located now. You are right that the POW museum is just down from the Dairy Queen, which has typically been closed for the winter. That DQ has been for sale beore so the closure might have become permanent.

"Silent Night in Algona" is a movie about the POW camp and the building of the nativity scene by the German prisoners housed there. That nativity scene is still on display at the Kossuth County Fairgrounds. There is also an Ag and Motorsports museum at the fairgrounds that is open on non winter weekends.
That movie is a good insomnia cure.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I went with Missouri. Geographically we don't have the natural barriers we have east and west. Minnesota has less population and their major population center is too close to our border. Missouri could send two massive forces from each end of the boarder.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
There was a POW camp in Algona? I guess there was. And it's only a block from Dairy Queen.

Clarinda had one as well.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Southern Iowa would get drunk with the invading Missouri forces and realize they are 2nd cousins and join forces. The rest of Iowa is then f'd. So the answer is clearly Missoura.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Where are we sending all of our POWs? Fort Dodge (make them deal with it)?
Actually, you bring up an interesting point. Fort Dodge has a huge number of transplants from Chicago. Perhaps infiltration efforts have been going on for years and Illinois is going to launch their offensive FROM WITHIN IOWA'S BORDERS!

Last edited: