Zach Guyer

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Zach Guyer got his first game in Jack Trice last night, playing for the South in the Iowa Shrine Bowl. Every one of his kickoffs went through the back of the end zone. He did have one field goal blocked.

Also, not that anyone cares, Berryman was arrested again on Friday. He was arrested on a warrant for criminal mischief.

Last edited:

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Zach Guyer got his first game in Jack Trice last night, playing for the South in the Iowa Shrine Bowl. Every one of his kickoffs went through the back of the end zone. He did have one field goal blocked.

Also, not that anyone cares, Berryman was arrested again on Friday. He arrested on a warrant for criminal mischief.

Yeah, I had heard that Guyer has one hell of a strong leg! Gets me all excited...giggity giggity wooh excited. I watched some of the game on tv today, but not very much. I saw they had the lines painted on the field but looked liked it was kind of a shotty job on the paint. I assume they'll grow the grass out to erase the lines out to make it look a lot better than it did. Did they have the logo painted on there yet? Looked like it was bare necessity lines out there. Did they fix their divots?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Just having a kicker being able to kick it out of the endzone is a huge improvement over the last couple of years.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Zach Guyer got his first game in Jack Trice last night, playing for the South in the Iowa Shrine Bowl. Every one of his kickoffs went through the back of the end zone. . . .

Off a 'T'? But, if he has that kind of leg power, hard to imagine he won't make a nice adjustment to kicking without one in the college game . . . we all hope.

. . . Did they have the logo painted on there yet? Looked like it was bare necessity lines out there. Did they fix their divots?

The entire field has been re-sodded. Others here have said the new grass looks fantastic. (Did you miss the re-sodding information, maybe? Shouldn't be any divots, you wouldn't think.)

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Off a 'T'? But, if he has that kind of leg power, hard to imagine he won't make a nice adjustment to kicking without one in the college game . . . we all hope.

College kickers also use a tee for kickoffs, just not for FG/PAT. There should be virtually no difference in Guyer's kickoffs for ISU.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
The entire field has been re-sodded. Others here have said the new grass looks fantastic. (Did you miss the re-sodding information, maybe? Shouldn't be any divots, you wouldn't think.)

He asked if the new logo was painted yet, which it hasn't. It is just the lines. They did take down the old Jack Trice sign that was on the back of the scoreboard.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
College kickers also use a tee for kickoffs, just not for FG/PAT. There should be virtually no difference in Guyer's kickoffs for ISU.

Really? I did not know that (to state the obvious, I guess). Thanks for telling me. But, I could swear. . . .

Anyway, great to have Zach coming to Ames (and Grant Mahoney, too).

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

I think High school kicks off from the 40 or 45 or something like that, so he will have to kick it a little further.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I think High school kicks off from the 40 or 45 or something like that, so he will have to kick it a little further.

Yes, good point. Although, he should still be putting it into the endzone at least, which would be a vast improvement over the last few years of returners fielding our kickoffs between the 10 and 20.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Hopefully he can really blast it. It's been horrible watching our kickers either line drive kick it to the 1 or hang it up in the air to the 25.

Having to kick off from the 30 will be different for him... especially with making sure he has enough air under the ball.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

Yeah I know the field was re-sodded. I worked there for 2 weeks and yes it does look fantastic...and even though it is a new field the grass can still be tore up.

I think someone else mentioned that he has been kicking with no tee all summer (Did you miss the Guyer kicking thread information a few months ago?)

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
For the Shrine Game, do they play College Rules or High School Rules? I know some of these all-star games play by college rules, but didn't know what they did here in Iowa.

d4cy

Oct 19, 2006
Ames
They were playing high school rules. He was kicking off from the 40, and his kickoffs all went between halfway-into all the way to the back of the endzone. So I figure with another 10 yards to kick they'll be between the 5 yard line and the endzone. Better than in the past. Hopefully the block was just a O-line collapse, rather than a low kick (I was there but couldn't tell).

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
They were playing high school rules. He was kicking off from the 40, and his kickoffs all went between halfway-into all the way to the back of the endzone. So I figure with another 10 yards to kick they'll be between the 5 yard line and the endzone. Better than in the past. Hopefully the block was just a O-line collapse, rather than a low kick (I was there but couldn't tell).
shep will have this to the goal line-5 yards deep by the conference schedule.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Really? I did not know that (to state the obvious, I guess). Thanks for telling me. But, I could swear. . . .

Anyway, great to have Zach coming to Ames (and Grant Mahoney, too).

So..did you think they just stuck the ball in the ground and it somehow just stood up on it's own. Now that would be impressive.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

They also lowered the height of the tee in college - it will be a lot harder for him to get the same loft under the ball.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
So..did you think they just stuck the ball in the ground and it somehow just stood up on it's own. Now that would be impressive.

I did not think. Occasionally, happens to the best of us as well as to the worst of us.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just having a kicker being able to kick it out of the endzone is a huge improvement over the last couple of years.

Only last year. Before that we had Yelk and his were always out of the endzone or at least deep inside the endzone.