Should the in-state rival forum show on the front page?

• Total voters

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Now Chad.... while we are discussing this change can we please start the debate on bringing back the negative rep? Please.....

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Then why have the in-state forum in the first place? Surely Jeremy (or whomever) knew what would happen once that forum opened?

This is a good question. I think the answer is that too many Cyclone fans care too much about the hawkeyes. Try suggesting that it would be in ISU's best interest to end the Cy-Hawk series and you'll see what I mean.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Try suggesting that it would be in ISU's best interest to end the Cy-Hawk series and you'll see what I mean.
Only because on Iowa State's part that'd be completely moronic...

And people make it sound like they're deleting the forum. It's not getting deleted, you can still get to it, just like you can with the Politics/Religion board and the Friday Thread group.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
hawkeyes suck
Packers suck
Cubs suck
Kings suck
Redwings suck

griffinpeter.jpg

Yes Kings do suck, but only because Vlade and Peja don't play for them anymore, correct?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Only because on Iowa State's part that'd be completely moronic...

And people make it sound like they're deleting the forum. It's not getting deleted, you can still get to it, just like you can with the Politics/Religion board and the Friday Thread group.

That didn't take long. I wouldn't worry, your superbowl will remain intact through 2020. I wonder what John Majors take was on Iowa/ISU? I'll bet he couldn't have cared less.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This is a good question. I think the answer is that too many Cyclone fans care too much about the hawkeyes. Try suggesting that it would be in ISU's best interest to end the Cy-Hawk series and you'll see what I mean.

Chad.... Negative Rep is mandatory.... Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI to weR138..... Your post was spoken like a true hawk.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I'm not going to make any friends with this post, but there are far too many ISU fans that have this sick infatuation with anything related to Iowa, and I'm not just talking about all of the negative things that come out of Iowa City. I have seen plenty of threads started by ISU fans that want to talk about whether or not Iowa's LB core is the best in the Big 10 (err 11), or Brent Metcalf's place in collegiate wrestling history. Yes, some of the hawk posters are annoying and occasionally pick a fight, but if you are looking for someone to blame for all of the ridiculous threads on the main page that are hawk-related, blame yourselves (me included). Too many ISU posters on this site are obsessed with talking about iowa. And yes, I realize if iowa's football players weren't so lawless, there wouldn't be as much to talk about, and yes, I know Luke Recker was a drunk, but seriously, the only way this problem will improve is if we quit talking about iowa all the time.

Any "opt-in" feature would truly ruin the site as it is. There are many reasons that this is a great site with great posters, but perhaps the greatest is that it isn't overly restrictive on the topics that can be discussed. Obviously Jeremy and the mods do a great job, but we as posters make this a great site, and if you want to make it better, you have to do so by controlling what and where you post. If you don't want to see these threads, don't start them and don't post in them.

Reactions: Cyclone62

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
And I wonder what Hayden Fry's view on Iowa/ISU was?

I'm glad you brought that up. Hayden Fry latched onto the renewal of the series like a pitbull, beating ISU fifteen straight times and in doing so killing ISU's in-state recruiting. Fry took it as a great opportunity and maximized it. Personally, I think we would've been much better off never having renewed the series and recruiting kids based on thier desire to play for a quality Big 8 program like ISU. If you recall, the series was renewed in '77 at a time when John Majors had built up a good ISU program (never having played Iowa and not caring about them) which had been made even better by Earle Bruce. The growth of the program had virtually nothing to do with Iowa playing ISU on the football field.

It's my opinion that we should eliminate the series, focus on the B12 and try to have some seasons like we had in the '70's. Again I get flamed for it. Cyclones78 says I sound like a Hawk fan. Really? Because I want to eliminate Iowa football from our collective Cyclone consciousness? If you think ISU ending the Cy-Hawk game is moronic I think you're focusing on the wrong team and the wrong conference.

Reactions: tejasclone

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yep, when the problem is largely due to responding to Hawk fans on CF, it is ISU caring too much about Iowa. :biglaugh:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'm glad you brought that up. Hayden Fry latched onto the renewal of the series like a pitbull, beating ISU fifteen straight times and in doing so killing ISU's in-state recruiting. Fry took it as a great opportunity and maximized it. Personally, I think we would've been much better off never having renewed the series and recruiting kids based on thier desire to play for a quality Big 8 program like ISU. If you recall, the series was renewed in '77 at a time when John Majors had built up a good ISU program (never having played Iowa and not caring about them) which had been made even better by Earle Bruce. The growth of the program had virtually nothing to do with Iowa playing ISU on the football field.

It's my opinion that we should eliminate the series, focus on the B12 and try to have some seasons like we had in the '70's. Again I get flamed for it. Cyclones78 says I sound like a Hawk fan. Really? Because I want to eliminate Iowa football from our collective Cyclone consciousness? If you think ISU ending the Cy-Hawk game is moronic I think you're focusing on the wrong team and the wrong conference.
It's a valid opinion to have, but when Iowa got Fry, and then soared we were left in the dust. For exactly the reason that he only wanted to completely decimate us and take all in-state recruits. That is why people care about the series. I also think that's the reason that it probably won't stop again.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yep, when the problem is largely due to responding to Hawk fans on CF, it is ISU caring too much about Iowa. :biglaugh:

Caring enough to push a post to the 500 mark. It'd be nice to see the day when a NU/ISU thread or KU/ISU thread would do that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not going to make any friends with this post, but there are far too many ISU fans that have this sick infatuation with anything related to Iowa, and I'm not just talking about all of the negative things that come out of Iowa City. I have seen plenty of threads started by ISU fans that want to talk about whether or not Iowa's LB core is the best in the Big 10 (err 11), or Brent Metcalf's place in collegiate wrestling history. Yes, some of the hawk posters are annoying and occasionally pick a fight, but if you are looking for someone to blame for all of the ridiculous threads on the main page that are hawk-related, blame yourselves (me included). Too many ISU posters on this site are obsessed with talking about iowa. And yes, I realize if iowa's football players weren't so lawless, there wouldn't be as much to talk about, and yes, I know Luke Recker was a drunk, but seriously, the only way this problem will improve is if we quit talking about iowa all the time.

I disagree with your conclusion, but I completely agree with this. I only thing I dislike more than trolls are the ISU fans that talk about nothing but Iowa. We get it, 1998 was cool.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Good to see you agree it was HF's Superbowl.
I would be up for eliminating the annual nature of the game, but to think there is an appreciable difference in the true feelings for the rivalry by the fan bases is nuts. It may be better for ISU to have the freedom of scheduling games with better programs for exposure or against teams from fertile recruiting areas like Texas, Cal, or Florida.

Last edited:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
The Iowa sites are basically full of people slapping each other on the back and agreeing with each other all the time, and they've been that way for years.

If there was an Iowa site like this, believe me I'd be there - especially as far as ease of use, format, not having to pay for it, etc...

So in other words you're just here until something better comes along? Got it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It's a valid opinion to have, but when Iowa got Fry, and then soared we were left in the dust. For exactly the reason that he only wanted to completely decimate us and take all in-state recruits. That is why people care about the series. I also think that's the reason that it probably won't stop again.

A condition that I contend could've been mitigated by not associating with Iowa football in any way.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Yeah, let's hide one of the most popular forums - there's a good idea.

I don't see what the big deal is. Half the time it's Cyclone fans creating/posting in Hawkeye-related threads and keeping them on the front page.

Yeah, we know--you're just defending the hawks. But isn't that kinda like a bar owner going to an AA meeting and defending alcohol?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron