Should the in-state rival forum show on the front page?

• Total voters

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
This won't be a final decision, but the mod team is looking for input from everyone. A poll will follow and it will be public.

Question: Should the in-state rivals forum show on the front page?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
My preference is that it should be opt-in, like politics.

I understand that people who opt-in want to see it on their front page. Why would that not be possible? Can we not do dynamic front pages by member?

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I think it may be a good idea to have only ISU related forums appear on the front page.

Or alternatively, to have a separate page that only shows recent thread activity for all ISU related forums.

H

HGPuck

I think two of the main reasons are to limit flame posts and they have a tendency to digress into arguments that stay on the front page for a long time keeping the front page less "fresh". I am also in favor of an opt-in.

Edit: I would also be very happy with it being like the Gaming/Groups forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't think it's needs to be opt-in like the Politics/Religion forum, but like Gaming/Groups would be fine.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
It's mostly flame bait anyway. I'm in favor of not seeing a thread bounce around the front page for a week after every Hawk arrest.

Ernie Godfrey

May 17, 2006
I don't have a problem with it being on the front page, everyone is free to click on what they want and ignore the rest.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Sounds like people are getting their panties in a bunch over something that isn't that big of a deal to me.

Reactions: Phaedrus

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't think it's needs to be opt-in like the Politics/Religion forum, but like Gaming/Groups would be fine.

That works for me as well.

I think the opt-in is only of use if Jeremy can create the front page by member, and the only way to know what to show would be what a member has opted into.

If he can do this, I'd prefer that we have an opt in for gaming - I'd like that to show on my frontpage.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Do the board moderators have typical meetings and actually discuss these "issues"? If so, that's hilarious. Too funny..... :biglaugh:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't have a problem with it being on the front page, everyone is free to click on what they want and ignore the rest.

In the same breath, you can just click on the Rivals forum if you care to see what's going on.

I have a feeling that this will be hawk-heavy voting on the "leave it" side.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That works for me as well.

I think the opt-in is only of use if Jeremy can create the front page by member, and the only way to know what to show would be what a member has opted into.

If he can do this, I'd prefer that we have an opt in for gaming - I'd like that to show on my frontpage.
Opt-ing in doesn't make it show up on the front page. I'm opted into the Politics board because I go in there and read occasionally, but it doesn't show on my front page, unless of course I'm messing something up (which is entirely possible).

It would occasionally be nice to keep the flame wars off the front page though because every Iowa thread turns into the same "Go to your own message board" and "we don't want you here" and "you guys are a bunch of criminals" which eventually have about as much meaning as the former Friday threads and we got shown the door to our own little shindig. :cute: