Five Questions: With a Northern Illinois writer

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
i'm shakin in my boots after that interview. The MAC's best running back, haha. We have A-rob and I am willing to bet he is 5 times the running back he is. Strength, D line? That's great and all if your Alabama, Texas, Florida, but a MAC conference D line should be no better than ours.

I'm not sure why you're taking NIU's running backs so lightly. This is the school that produced Michael Turner, and Garrett Wolfe, who had pretty much the same stats as Reggie Bush. NIU usually has quality RB's.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm not sure why you're taking NIU's running backs so lightly. This is the school that produced Michael Turner, and Garrett Wolfe, who had pretty much the same stats as Reggie Bush. NIU usually has quality RB's.

Competition. I'm not saying that their RB's aren't good, but let's be honest, they don't run against the defenses of the SEC, Big 12 or Big 10.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
That dude must have been a real pleasure to interview (extreme sarcasm). He comes across very cocky. NIU may be good, but there is no reason ISU shouldn't win. We have better athletes from top to bottom and a damn good coaching staff. It will probably be a close game for most or all of the game, but I just fail to see how ISU loses.

I don't think you realize how good NIU is going to be this year. This game is going to be a nail biter all the way to the end. NIU returns nearly everyone on offense and the clear favorites to win the MAC.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
agree 100% with this. maybe their strength is their d-line, but so what. it doesn't mean they are a top d-line.

Seems to me our O-line held up quite nicely against the Iowa and Nebraska D-lines last year. Somehow I doubt that NIU's d-line is in that company.

Our O-line should be the least of our worries in this game.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I don't think you realize how good NIU is going to be this year. This game is going to be a nail biter all the way to the end. NIU returns nearly everyone on offense and the clear favorites to win the MAC.

Like I said, I have no doubt that they are a solid club, but they have no business coming into a Big 12 stadium and putting the coals to ISU. That said, I guess it only matters who is the best team on that day.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
No blowout folks. That's not the Cyclone way. I do have faith in CPR however, that he will have our boys ready to play unlike Chiz's first embarassing loss to Kent State. I predict another opportunistic Cyclone defense creating turnovers; homefield gives us the edge here: 24-14

cy616

Dec 17, 2008
Chicago, IL
Not that I was particularly concerned about this game in the first place, but the article made me feel much better. Thier strength (DL) vs. our strength (OL); thier weaknesses on the OL and at receiver will probably will limit thier ability to exploit our DL, as less than reliable recievers and a desire to control the clock may make them more 1 dimensional.

That said, I'm sure they'll det enough runs to the second level to hold on to the ball and keep it reasonable. I'll say 31-21 ISU.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Whats wrong with him and where did you hear this?

Don't know...person I heard it from didn't know either.

It happened 3 days ago, I believe. Reasons are unknown and I do not think it is official. So take it for what it is worth...don't want to stir the pot too much, but from what I heard, it isn't looking good.

Maybe someone else with a little more insight can confirm/disconfirm?

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't know...person I heard it from didn't know either.

It happened 3 days ago, I believe. Reasons are unknown and I do not think it is official. So take it for what it is worth...don't want to stir the pot too much, but from what I heard, it isn't looking good.

Maybe someone else with a little more incite can confirm/disconfirm?

Freudian??? :wideeyed:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think fans really do expect NIU to come in and beat the Cyclones on Sept. 2

There's no way they can be that confident. They expect to win on the road at a BCS school, just because they beat Purdue (5-7 in 2009, lost to N-western and Minny)?:skeptical: Hopefully this translates into their team coming in overconfident and in for a rude awakening:yes:

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
That dude must have been a real pleasure to interview (extreme sarcasm). He comes across very cocky. NIU ...

If anyone attended the 2003 game in DeKalb, you will know that this is an accurate portrait of the NIU fanbase ... think of arrogant Chicago people with a Napoleon Complex ... I have hated NIU everyday since then.

Arguably our worst team since 1997 lost to #20 NIU (yes, they were actually ranked) 24-16 on the road. Our miserable offense actually outgained them 355-334.

Yes, this was the same offense that scored 71 points (8.9 ppg) in 8 Big 12 games. Also the same defense that gave up 613 yards to OU the next week, 775 yards to Texas Tech the week after that, and 578 yards to Texas the week after that.

This amazing MAC power back in 2003 (whose fans mocked BCS from the moment we got out of the car until the second we pulled out of there - only breaking shortly to cheer on the Cubs clinching division) whose roster included Michael Turner (134 yards) needed a deflected interception in the 4th quarter of a 17-16 game to score the final TD with under 2 minutes to play.

We are 2-1 ('93 Won 54-10, '03 Lost 16-24, '04 Won 48-41) against NIU all-time, and 21-4 vs. MAC all-time ... we not only should win, we MUST win this game.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If anyone attended the 2003 game in DeKalb, you will know that this is an accurate portrait of the NIU fanbase ... think of arrogant Chicago people with a Napoleon Complex ... I have hated NIU everyday since then.

Arguably our worst team since 1997 lost to #20 NIU (yes, they were actually ranked) 24-16 on the road. Our miserable offense actually outgained them 355-334.

Yes, this was the same offense that scored 71 points (8.9 ppg) in 8 Big 12 games. Also the same defense that gave up 613 yards to OU the next week, 775 yards to Texas Tech the week after that, and 578 yards to Texas the week after that.

This amazing MAC power back in 2003 (whose fans mocked BCS from the moment we got out of the car until the second we pulled out of there - only breaking shortly to cheer on the Cubs clinching division) whose roster included Michael Turner (134 yards) needed a deflected interception in the 4th quarter of a 17-16 game to score the final TD with under 2 minutes to play.

We are 2-1 ('93 Won 54-10, '03 Lost 16-24, '04 Won 48-41) against NIU all-time, and 21-4 vs. MAC all-time ... we not only should win, we MUST win this game.

:notworthy:

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597

That trip to NIU was one of the worst game-day experiences I've ever had. NIU takes the cake as the WORST fan base I've seen in person.

Reactions: The Mook

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
From the highlights I've watched of NIU, they seemed really weak at defending the run.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHCEUNs8gtE]YouTube - Northern Illinois at Purdue[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt2hoAoHVtQ]YouTube - Northern Illinois at Wisconsin[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjEdS1RWKV4]YouTube - South Florida vs Northern Illinois International Bowl Highlights.wmv[/ame]

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
That trip to NIU was one of the worst game-day experiences I've ever had. NIU takes the cake as the WORST fan base I've seen in person.

There was nothing to enjoy about that day. I digress, but it was horrible.

I was steaming with hate my entire drive back to South Bend. I still hate them.

I've been to almost 30 different college football venues. This was miserable.