UNI/ISU. I hate to say it, but.....(sky falling thread)

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Re: UNI/ISU. I hate to say it, but.....

Really? And your solution??

Yeah...really.

I'm not the one getting paid 6 figures to solve that problem.

But if I was, I'd maybe change strategy and try something different to counteract the changes that opposing coach made during the timeout. Maybe throw a press on, or trap, to get the energy level back up.

Last edited:

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Re: Is anybody else concerned about MBB?

UNI also has played competitive basketball all summer representing USA in the World games where the team got a chance to run a system and gel before the year started. They are a fairly young but play like a veteran team.

Didn't UNI lose to South Dakota State?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Re: "We were just plain outcoached."

That's a very valid point. I agree that his IQ didn't just suddenly drop.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

UNI only shot 42% but outrebunded us by 12. How can they do that? Rebounding is about hustle. Mybe our guards better take a rebopunding course. Stinson and Blalock were great rebounders.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Re: Iowa State is NOT GOOD.

Have you gone to the other games? Brackins may have had an off night tonight, but he's already a great offensive presense. And he's YOUNG, so he'll grow into it. Garrett is shaping up - he just needs to slow down and get some more experience. Boozer is a little rough still, but he has the desire and raw talent that just needs to be developed. None of us knows how Lucca will/could be, so I'm not going to throw that out there.

Did you expect the true freshman to be performing like seniors already?

I'll give you brackins but I don't see much in garrett or boozer. I hope they develop into fine players but I guess I don't see it. I don't count Lucca since he isn't going to play. Maybe he is the next michael jordan but it will never affect us other than those that like would of could of talk.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota

see, this is the logic I don't necessarily agree with. A coach having success at one school doesn't automatically translate into success at the next. I see us not getting the recruits we need (especially guards and posts) and lack of fundamentals like attacking the hoop, rebounding, turnover control, free throws, etc. Call me crazy but I am truly concerned about the immediate (next 5 years) future of ISU hoops. The best time to get big time recruits is often immediately after a coaching change and we have Wesley. We need a PG and post BAD!!!
When coaching sucess seems to follow a coach, I believe you have to believe then. I know what Greg did at North Dakota, Wayne St., NDSU (started), UNI... it will happen at ISU...

ISU, was as close to the death penalty as a school could get after Wayne Morgan, scandals, no discpline, grades, and what kids were left either quit or left. Greg brought in who he could last year on short notice, some worked (Wesley J) and some did not. This years class is better, next years will be better again, you need time to do it right. Some schools go after quick fixes, Greg will not compromise the integerty of ISU for some quick wins with bad kids...

What he did at UNI was tuly amazing and will happen at ISU given time...

UNI also played a 10-12 game ...USA basketball tourney in Thialand this summer, do not forget the importance of that.

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

That's a very valid point. I agree that his IQ didn't just suddenly drop.

True, if you noticed his UNI squads they always faded down the stretch. This is why I was not sold on his being hired and I am still not sold.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

When coaching sucess seems to follow a coach, I belive you have to believe then. I know what Greg did at North Dakota, Wayne St., NDSU (started), UNI... it will happen at ISU...

ISU, was as close to the death penalty as a school could get after Wayne Morgan, scandals, no discpline, grades, and what kids were left either quit or left. Greg brought in who he could last year on short notice, some worked (Wesley J) and some did not. This years class is better, next will be better again, you need time to do it right. Some schools go after quick fixes, Greg will not compromise the integerty of ISU for some quick wins with bad kids...

UNI also played a 10-12 game ...USA basketball tourney in Thialand this summer, do not forget the importance of that.

The most sensible post I've seen all night.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

When coaching sucess seems to follow a coach, I belive you have to believe then. I know what Greg did at North Dakota, Wayne St., NDSU (started), UNI... it will happen at ISU...

ISU, was as close to the death penalty as a school could get after Wayne Morgan, scandals, no discpline, grades, and what kids were left either quit or left. Greg brought in who he could last year on short notice, some worked (Wesley J) and some did not. This years class is better, next will be better again, you need time to do it right. Some schools go after quick fixes, Greg will not compromise the integerty of ISU for some quick wins with bad kids...

Coach, you gotta stop with this "making sense" thing...I'm outta rep for the night.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

Other than Brackins, I don't see the talent on this team. You can only coach so much. The talent level is not D-1 with what's onthe court IMO.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

True, if you noticed his UNI squads they always faded down the stretch. This is why I was not sold on his being hired and I am still not sold.

Faded...I'd more say they hit some tough competition in the Big Dance.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006

UNI only shot 42% but outrebunded us by 12. How can they do that? Rebounding is about hustle. Mybe our guards better take a rebopunding course. Stinson and Blalock were great rebounders.

Rebounding is about POSITION. Did any of our guys get it tonight? NO.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Maybe we should practice against our gals team duiring the summer. I remember Jiri was taking 3s in all those scrimmages. That did not help a bunch.

Rage On

Jul 20, 2006

Fans have every right to be concerned about the team and the program. In just five games, we've lost to two Missouri Valley teams and one of the worst in the Big 10. Somebody take a look back in the record books and tell me how many times this has happened and how the teams finished in those years. It cannot be a very rosey picture.

That being said, you can still have hope and wish for the best. I'm just looking a whole lot differently at Greg McDermott right now. The amount of time that he is allowed for success with our program gets shorter every time he has a loss like tonight's.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007

Getting beat is one thing, but getting out hustsled and out worked is another. I can't take too much more of this ****... If this keepd up, by Christmas I'll be looking for S. Miss gear. Don't flame me, just upset. Moving to the head phones, a couple drinks and 80's REM and U2. I'll be fully recovered in the A.M. Always and ever a CLONE!

Last edited by a moderator:

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

There is not D-1 talent on this team other than the big guy. John Wooden wouldn't win with that bunch.