UNI/ISU. I hate to say it, but.....(sky falling thread)

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Re: Is anybody else concerned about MBB?

When coaching sucess seems to follow a coach, I believe you have to believe then. I know what Greg did at North Dakota, Wayne St., NDSU (started), UNI... it will happen at ISU...

ISU, was as close to the death penalty as a school could get after Wayne Morgan, scandals, no discpline, grades, and what kids were left either quit or left. Greg brought in who he could last year on short notice, some worked (Wesley J) and some did not. This years class is better, next years will be better again, you need time to do it right. Some schools go after quick fixes, Greg will not compromise the integerty of ISU for some quick wins with bad kids...

What he did at UNI was tuly amazing and will happen at ISU given time...

UNI also played a 10-12 game ...USA basketball tourney in Thialand this summer, do not forget the importance of that.

Death penalty? We weren't close to the death penalty at all during any point of Wayne Morgan's tenure. The whole d-1 scheduling thing was blown completely out of proportion, and in the end resulted in no penalties for ISU at all. You may not like WM, but let's not make up facts here please.

The fact is, WM left some talent in Ames, but many chose not to play for G-Mac. WM recruited both Rahshon and Jiri. Where would we be without them right now? I have to admit I like G-Mac, and I hope he gets ISU to an elite level once again, but he was totally out coached tonight, and once again, we seemed like the visiting team on our home floor with regards to the fouls called.

Last edited:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Re: UNI/ISU. I hate to say it, but.....

Josten wasn't even supposed to start this year

Yet he was their leading scorer coming into this game. Sounds like he's really taking advantage of the opportunity he's been given.

And Josten hardly owned us in this game. He had 20 of the quietest points you'll see. He shot 33% from the field, and he piled on his points on the line at the end of the game to make it look like it was an easier win for UNI than it was.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
OK...I slept on it and...

I'm still FRIGGIN PO'D! Last night was awful, awful, awful. I don't ask for much and I wasn't one of those who was predicting NCAA or even NIT this year, but c'mon. This team has been flat out awful across the board. No rebounding, p!ss poor shooting and shot selection, terrible defense, mediocre coaching (erratic substitution patterns).

I know I don't sound like a patient guy when I gripe like this, but at the very least this team could show some effort and promise so we could see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll be there watching again on Friday. Perhaps it will all come together that night. I'm not holding my breath however.

jperickson23

Apr 10, 2006
Des Moines
Re: OK...I slept on it and...

I'm still FRIGGIN PO'D! Last night was awful, awful, awful. I don't ask for much and I wasn't one of those who was predicting NCAA or even NIT this year, but c'mon. This team has been flat out awful across the board. No rebounding, p!ss poor shooting and shot selection, terrible defense, mediocre coaching (erratic substitution patterns).

I know I don't sound like a patient guy when I gripe like this, but at the very least this team could show some effort and promise so we could see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll be there watching again on Friday. Perhaps it will all come together that night. I'm not holding my breath however.

I'm still optimistic that we can put it all together and have a good year but last night was flat out embarrassing. It's really no fun getting punked on your home floor by a bunch of guys that supposedly aren't good enough to play in a major conference.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really sick of losing to UNI. Basketball and football.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Uni Played 3 freshman and 2 sophmores of the nine players that saw minutes... Same as ISU...

Very misleading statement. UNI only played guys who were not in their program last year for a total of 26 minutes. ISU had to rely on newcomers for 76 of the total 200 minutes - over 1/3 of the total.

In addition, UNI still wins handily if you take away the 6 pts & 6 rbs that their newcomers contributed. Bottom line is that UNI was indeed much more experienced than ISU last night.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007

I almost threw my controler through my TV tonight watching this game. ISU is a better team, they seem to play with tons of emotion for 5 minutes and then quit. Great example tonight, start off the first 4 minutes full of fire and then took the next 12 minutes off. Come out after halftime and on fire, didn't let UNI score for the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half. Then they got complacent.

Look at the brightside, Coleman is gone - he is a STUD (as long as the referees do not call any charges on him).

I agree with you that ISU was, as good, if not the better team. I feel this way about all of our losses. We are starting to look like a broken record always starting out playing good and then seeming to lose intensity. On the way home I was listening to the post game and Eric Heft thought it was a lack of focus. I think he is exactly right. It seems like whenever we get a small lead we get into a comfort zone and get a little lackadaisical. Wesely also mentioned in the post game that we need to play with a little more attitude. Aside from all of the turnovers, off the court problems, and inabilty to get along with our own players, this is one thing Mike Taylor had. I'm not saying I miss him, because I don't, but he played with a sense of urgency and hated to lose. This is something I think Diante needs to develope. He is still very young and learning but I think he has the athleticism to be a team leader. Jiri also needs to develope a little attitude. He needs to become a mean force down low like Jared Homan. He showed he's capable of doing it last year againt Maric. I think that if we can maintain focus and develope a "refuse to lose" attitude we could be a pretty good team.

Some other thoughts on the game:

I thought Wesely played a great for his first game back. Some other posts state that he can't creat his own shot but I think this is false. Creating your own shot doesn't mean that you have to take it to the rack every time. It may only mean taking a dribble or two to get an open shot. He showed this a few times last night, and as his foot continues to heal, I think we'll see a lot more of it.

I also thought Rashon played another solid game. He continues to play within himself and provide consistant numbers. He plays with a lot intensity and needs to pass it on to some of the other players.

Craig did not have a very good game. He is a freshman and this sometimes happens, but our success relies on his consistency. If he gets his average we probably win the game. I'm not saying he is the reason we lost, I'm just saying that for us to be successful, we need to be hitting on all cylinders.

May 14, 2006
Waterloo
I know it is going to take time to re-build the program.

That said, I cannot tell you how sick and tired I am of losing to Valley teams. Iowa State should never lose to a Valley team. I don't care how great the Valley has been or continues to be. We are a Big 12 school! This should not happen! We also should not be getting schooled by guys recruited from Bondurant-Farrar and Webster City, Iowa. Period.

When this program finally gets rolling, I hope we blow teams out and don't let up. I want to see total domination.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Re: 2nd year always worse than year 1

94-95 Wayne State 14-13 (.519) Independent N/A
95-96 Wayne State 12-15 (.444) Independent N/A N/A
96-97 Wayne State 21-7 (.750) Independent N/A N/A
97-98 Wayne State 20-7 (.741) Independent N/A N/A
98-99 Wayne State 23-5 (.821) Independent N/A N/A
99-00 WayneState 26-6 (.813) Independent T1st NCAA DII First Round
00-01 North Dakota State 15-11 (.577) 15-3 (.833) 8th NCAA DII Sweet 16
01-02 Northern Iowa 14-15 (.483) 8-10 (.444) 7th N/A
02-03 Northern Iowa 11-17 (.393) 7-11 (.389) 7th N/A
03-04 Northern Iowa 21-10 (.677) 12-6 (.667) T2nd NCAA First Round
04-05 Northern Iowa 21-11 (.656) 11-7 (.611) T3rd NCAA First Round
05-06 Northern Iowa 23-10 (.697) 11-7 (.611) T5th NCAA First Round

06-07 Iowa State 15-16 (.484)
6-10 (.375) T7th N/A

I started to calm down a little bit (I find drinking helps) and looked up Coach Mac's records in the past. I see a trend - his 2nd year at Wayne St and UNI were worse than his first year but then look at year 3 - 21 wins both times. Maybe we should all calm down hope this is just a normal pattern for Coach Mac (again drinking helps).:yes:

First of all, I find it totally unacceptable to be losing to puny UNI at home!

Secondly, I am willing to give McDermott a chance but, even with all of the defections that he faced after Morgan left, you have to remember that you can change things very rapidly in basketball...only 5 guys get to be on the court at a time.

Lastly, the stats above are certainly interesting. The one concern I have is that his winning percentage dropped from about 680 to about 580 when he stepped up to UNI. I certainly hope it doesn't drop another 100 points with his step up to ISU!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

When coaching sucess seems to follow a coach, I believe you have to believe then. I know what Greg did at North Dakota, Wayne St., NDSU (started), UNI... it will happen at ISU...

ISU, was as close to the death penalty as a school could get after Wayne Morgan, scandals, no discpline, grades, and what kids were left either quit or left. Greg brought in who he could last year on short notice, some worked (Wesley J) and some did not. This years class is better, next years will be better again, you need time to do it right. Some schools go after quick fixes, Greg will not compromise the integerty of ISU for some quick wins with bad kids...

What he did at UNI was tuly amazing and will happen at ISU given time...

UNI also played a 10-12 game ...USA basketball tourney in Thialand this summer, do not forget the importance of that.

You might not like Wayne Morgan but the statement I highlighted is ridiculously untrue! I do not recall that we even lost any scholarships due to anything under Morgan's watch. The bottom line is that a lot of kids that Morgan recruited decided to jump ship after he was axed. Frankly, I cannot blame them...they signed on for a chance to play an up-tempo game with Morgan...not a grind-it-out slow-down game that McDermott seems to favor.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Death penalty? We weren't close to the death penalty at all during any point of Wayne Morgan's tenure. The whole d-1 scheduling thing was blown completely out of proportion, and in the end resulted in no penalties for ISU at all. You may not like WM, but let's not make up facts here please.

The fact is, WM left some talent in Ames, but many chose not to play for G-Mac. WM recruited both Rahshon and Jiri. Where would we be without them right now? I have to admit I like G-Mac, and I hope he gets ISU to an elite level once again, but he was totally out coached tonight, and once again, we seemed like the visiting team on our home floor with regards to the fouls called.

I agree at least with wayne morgan his first year we go to new york city nit and the second year we get to the ncaa...We're picked for 11th place and it looks like last place conference for a team that cant shoot...defend..or rebound....LOOK FORWARD TO A LONG YEAR:biglaugh:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Just watch the previous game - it was the same. Fall apart in the end. I am surprised we are not seeing more Cory Johnson. He is better than the other subs.

If Cory Johnson is our best sub then we are truly in serious trouble. I have long said that Cory, although being a great kid and a hustler, does not have the size or athleticism to play big-time college basketball.

B Clone

Apr 16, 2006
Polk County
This is Big 12 Basketball Brother!!!

I find losing to UNI and to Drake at home unacceptable, which has happened the past two years, this shouldn't happen even if you are rebuilding a program. McD needs to get something going to give us fans and season tickets holders to be excited about!

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
big MCD will get us turned around in 5 years.i am a loyal fan of MCD.give him some time; he will take us to the promised land(deep into the ncaa tourney) and everyone wil be happy.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Josten wasn't supposed to start??? Please know what you are talking about before you post...Josten started everygame last year and was supposed to be the starting 2 guard this year for them alongside Reed and Ahelgbe. And out of the three, he was supposed to be their best scoring and defensive option...all I ask out of people is that they know what they are talking about before the post...my sister could come on here and make things up and post.

For UNI's experience...Josten is in his 5th year, Coleman his 4th (their 2 best players), Brown his 3rd, Dunham his 2nd, and Egleseder his 2nd...Dunham redshirted last year. Viet is also in his 5th year, Koch his 2nd, Montgomery and O'Rear their 1st...they are MUCH more experienced then us. Plus all of their years have been played in the same system.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
btw...as far as the people comparing Wayne's first two years to Greg's...it's a lot easier to to look good when you inherit Curtis Stinson, Will Blalock, Jake Sullivan, Jared Homan, and Jackson Vroman. To make the comparison between the two guys' first two seasons is just flat-out dumb...being patient it tough, but it IS the reality of our situation...deal with it or jump ship. Frankly I don't care.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Redshirting in basketball is not 'experience'. Fact is those freshmen ans sophmores will be around just as long as ours if not longer and they will remember they beat us on our own floor...

Jacobson said on the radio the other day that they didn't expect Josten to start at the begining of the year...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Re: Iowa State is NOT GOOD.

Well, I got blasted the last 2 games and I am sure I will again but all of you expecting Wesley to be the savior found out that is not the case. We are not good at all. UNI has won 3 of the last 4. Hilton Magic...whatever. It will be a long time before we are good again and will take a big inside presence to do so. My prediction is that McDermott will not last long as he is not getting the recruits he needs. I know many of you will put hexes on me for saying this but I am not impressed with him. His teams don't rebound well, don't penetrate, don't get the ball to the best players and breakdown on defense. Top excuses some of you will come up with undoubtedly will include: 1) With Lucca we win the big12, 2) McD hasn't had time to get his guys in yet, 3) It is UNI's superbowl, 4) Our guys are injured, 5) UNI is a GREAT team...Fact is the only excuse is we aren't good and likely won't be good. Oh, and Thompson is still terrible. When Iowa beats us next week reality will set in for the rest of you.

cry more noob

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Jared was penciled in at the 2 guard going into the season, and he and Coleman were expected to be the leaders of the squad...When Jacobsen said he wasn't expected to start, he meant at the point guard position. I know this for a fact...and a year reshirting is VERY useful in learning systems, and putting on neccesary bulk.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
This is Big 12 Basketball Brother!!!

I find losing to UNI and to Drake at home unacceptable, which has happened the past two years, this shouldn't happen even if you are rebuilding a program. McD needs to get something going to give us fans and season tickets holders to be excited about!

He will. The first two years are always rough. If we lose to UNI and/or Drake next year, you can push the panic button.