MBB: Meltdown thread

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Who would win ISU men or ISU women?

Pretty much what I said? after seeing the men play and the women play, it could be a close game. Yes, the men would be more talented, but as fundementals go, it could even it out. Judging by the shooting in most of our womens games I think they would put up a competitive game.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Re: Humiliating!!!

We had a little more talent that year too.

Losing to Drake back in 99 was the best thing that happened to that team. I remember reading how LE drove back seperate from the team fuming about how he saw ISU players joking around after the loss. When they all got back to Ames he told them if he ever saw that kind of stuff again after a loss he'd kick them off the team. That team needed a wake up call to reach their potential, which was huge.

We had more talent last year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Major disappointment as we continue to get worse against the MVC. So we have a jinx ongoing.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just because I'm curious... so, does everyone think we should fire GMac? Is that the solution? He's been here for a year and a half, and it's the first year for a lot of HIS real recruits. Do we want to be the team that just fires coaches every two years? Is that going to help us get good recruits in the long run? "Hey, come here, but your coach will be different in two years."

Also - PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO GET AROUND THE LANGUAGE FILTER ANYMORE BY USING SELECTIVE PUNCTUATION IN PLACE OF THE LETTERS OF SOME WORDS.

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
I think it's only a small minority who think that GMAC should be fired, and I'm definitely not one of them. I am one of those though who is pretty disappointed in the lack of progress, and I'm appalled at losing BIG to Drake. I'm perfectly fine giving him at least 4 years total, but things are not looking up right now.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
Hopefully people are not ready to pull the plug on coach just yet. I think people are more concerned with questions such as why Brian/Sean are getting time over recruited players - are they really that much better? Would early season playing time for the recruited guards allow them to perform better? Who knows, have to trust the coach that he will get it worked out and the team will perform better. It's hard not to be negative when things are going south so to speak!

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just because I'm curious... so, does everyone think we should fire GMac? Is that the solution? He's been here for a year and a half, and it's the first year for a lot of HIS real recruits.

I think GMAC needs a legitimate chance, which I consider to be more than a couple of seasons.

With that being said, I am becoming a skeptic of his coaching abilities, and I am becoming concerned. I was not expecting a win tonight. I was also not expecting a blowout loss. Was the OSU win an aberration, or a sign of things to come? Not that it was an overly impressive win to begin with, but the bad losses are mounting vs. the signs of hope.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hopefully people are not ready to pull the plug on coach just yet. I think people are more concerned with questions such as why Brian/Sean are getting time over recruited players - are they really that much better? Would early season playing time for the recruited guards allow them to perform better? Who knows, have to trust the coach that he will get it worked out and the team will perform better. It's hard not to be negative when things are going south so to speak!

I absolutely see that - I think that's a very fair question, and an important one. If we're not going to use some of these players, maybe we should redshirt them (Boozer, for example). I understand the frustration - we have some incredible players! I just don't think we have enough depth yet to declare this coaching staff failed.

bluehooper

Apr 10, 2006
Major disappointment as we continue to get worse against the MVC. So we have a jinx ongoing.

Let's hope things get going soon. Coach has proven he can get it done everywhere else he has been. I think most of us were hoping for quite a bit this year, including beating UNI and Drake.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Anyone else now thinking those that thought an NIT appearance was a minimum expectation for this team this year were out of their minds? Can we now stop thinking that this team is the equivalent to the Fab Five?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I know Wes Eckmeier and Lucca and Wes and Craig will bring true scoring to this team next year. Them just hang tight till 2009 and things will be much brighter. The mass exodus of players the last two years hurt us worse thnan we thought. Poor Rashon and Jiri.

You know, football and basketbal will be like night and day by 2009-2010 for us wjen compared to today.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
McDermott Basketball

I'm concerned with the talent level and style of play with McDermott basketball. What I'm watching is not anywhere close go NCAA tourney talent or for that matter, NCAA tourney play. I've followed ISU basketball for over 30 years. I gave Greg a mulligan his first year, but this is worse than Johnny Orr road game basketball. Everyone was so quick to pull the trigger on Wayne Morgan, but this is worse.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I personally don't think that talent is something that we can bring up yet. Right now he's dealing with leftovers and people he had to scrap together when the last coach got canned (although his "scrapped together" job with Wesley is pretty incredible). This year was his first year of "real" recruits - Boozer has raw talent that needs to be developed. Garrett is good, but needs some experience and to slow down a bit. And then there's Brackins - when is the last time we got a 5-star recruit? Fizer? And most of these guys are true freshman!