The Leftovers

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Just watched, and really enjoyed it. Really no answers given, but that may be the point. I thought Nora's letter was beautifully written, and executed very well.

I guess they are now done with the book so if we get another season who knows what will happen. I want to see more of the supernatural stuff, and mystery but the beauty of the show is the subtlety and mystery. So tough not to spoil it with too much hocus pocus.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Just watched, and really enjoyed it. Really no answers given, but that may be the point. I thought Nora's letter was beautifully written, and executed very well.

I guess they are now done with the book so if we get another season who knows what will happen. I want to see more of the supernatural stuff, and mystery but the beauty of the show is the subtlety and mystery. So tough not to spoil it with too much hocus pocus.

So that's it? The book ends where Season 1 just ended? Wow. I really like this show and I will be very unsatisfied if it's now over.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I continue to have a hard time with this series. I'm trying hard to like it, because the acting is actually really good, but the story line is just... bad. I had given up on it for the past few weeks, but then kind of caught up thinking they had to have answered something or given some foreshadowing going into the last episode; nope. here's no rhyme or rhythm, or any sense of where it's going. And that's not clever writing, that's just bad.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Holy crap I thought Nora was going to shoot herself.

I wonder if Kevins wish was to have a family again. If so I think he got his wish.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
The only thing I noticed about all the departed was that the people they showed disappearing were all a problem for the people in their immediate vicinity at the time of the event/rapture. Except the circuit kid, maybe he smelled bad or something...

Laurie, unwanted pregnancy
Mom in car, baby/motherhood overwhelming
Old couple, down syndrome kid
Kevin, his affair
Nora, completely frustrated with her entire problem at that moment

Maybe that should have been one of the 150 questions...

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Good season/(series?) finally though. I'd be perfectly satisfied if they just left it at that. Not sure how a second season could improve on it.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The only thing I noticed about all the departed was that the people they showed disappearing were all a problem for the people in their immediate vicinity at the time of the event/rapture. Except the circuit kid, maybe he smelled bad or something...

Kevin, his affair

I think speculation is that at that moment you wither wished people to stay or go. The ones who people wanted gone, or felt that in that moment, left. Kevin wished to be with his family at that moment so they stayed. Nora was having a bad morning with her family and wished them gone. Hence the guilt. Maybe that is what the Guilty Remnant know. The leftovers sent them away.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Kevin, his affair

I think speculation is that at that moment you wither wished people to stay or go. The ones who people wanted gone, or felt that in that moment, left. Kevin wished to be with his family at that moment so they stayed. Nora was having a bad morning with her family and wished them gone. Hence the guilt. Maybe that is what the Guilty Remnant know. The leftovers sent them away.

Never thought about it like that. So the Leftovers should all have guilt for wishing someone away. The GR realize this.

I'm wondering about the people leftover that didn't lose anyone. Did they wish someone unrelated to them away? I don't know. I'm guessing Reverend Jamison never wished anyone away.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Interesting theory

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Not disagreeing with you but those kids that got left behind could have been un-baptized or old enough where they should have been able to have faith by then but did not. The kids that were taken were either baptized or old enough to choose to be faithful. I can't remember the "age cutoff" for that or if there is one. I don't think there is, it's pretty hazy IIRC.

Reaching a bit I know but this show appears to be following the Christian Rapture pretty closely so I'm using that as the guide. Total ***-hats are allowed into heaven if they've accepted JC as their lord and savior.

I think the show has gone out of the way to show the viewer that this wasn't the Christian Rapture, or at least that those who poofed didn't do so for some spiritual reason or because they were good people or followed a certain faith or whatever. There are people researching this and they can't find a correlation to anything, remember the episode where they were grasping at sugar intake (or something like that)?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That final scene was to show how each of the main characters were directly effected and how they directly witnessed the rapturing: Nora with her family disappearing, the two kids having their circle broken by another student disappearing, the floozy Kevin was boinking disappearing mid-coitus. There is no way that Laurie would be included in that scene while getting a sonogram unless it was to lose the fetus to the rapture.

Super excited for the finale and a little disappointed Patti won't be around anymore. As someone said earlier the lady who plays her is a very good actress and her character was so interesting, especially since she was the only one of the GR that regularly spoke.

I think it could illustrate that she was looking at her unborn child on the ultrasound thinking about the future (remember she was unsure about the baby), then presumably finds out that people are disappearing all over the world and the future is an uncertain mess, and that led to her not having her child. Possibly.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Never thought about it like that. So the Leftovers should all have guilt for wishing someone away. The GR realize this.

I'm wondering about the people leftover that didn't lose anyone. Did they wish someone unrelated to them away? I don't know. I'm guessing Reverend Jamison never wished anyone away.

I don't think you necessarily had to wish someone to stay or go, you just either did or did not. Be careful what you ask for. I could be way off, but Kevin when confessing said he thought of his family when he was cheating, and wished the woman away. That is the only thing I can think of, but clearly that conversation and his conversation with the GR woman were paramount. She kept saying he knew. He confessed wanting to be with his family at that moment and poof the woman disappeared.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Is that really where the book ended? Doesn't seem like a very good conclusion.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

But who would want the entire cast of Perfect Strangers gone?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

98% stayed, 2% gone. Math doesn't work out, if that theory was correct most people would not be wishing anyone away.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Kevin, his affair

Wow... pretty interesting thought. You may likely be right on. Nice job.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I was surprised too, but read that they were true to how Nora found the baby. It will be interesting to see if it stays a commentary on human existence and grief or if they take it to a more mysterious place.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

That is pretty good theory. Just in that moment, if you wished someone wasn't there, they departed.

Ties in nicely with ending of Holy Wayne and him granting Kevin a wish at his last moment.

BTW - Read that HBO already picked up Leftovers for a second season.