The Leftovers

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I love the show! I can't wait to see where everything comes together and we get to see the whole picture. I hope they do it well.
I have one question though. In the first episode when we see the complete chaos caused by the departure, would only two percent of the population disappearing at once be that apparent, that soon? That is 2 out of every 100 people..... How many of those people would have been in the same vicinity of another person to witness? How many of those people would have been driving at the time to cause a wreck? It just seemed that the events during the departure almost everyone knew at once that something happened...

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I love the show! I can't wait to see where everything comes together and we get to see the whole picture. I hope they do it well.
I have one question though. In the first episode when we see the complete chaos caused by the departure, would only two percent of the population disappearing at once be that apparent, that soon? That is 2 out of every 100 people..... How many of those people would have been in the same vicinity of another person to witness? How many of those people would have been driving at the time to cause a wreck? It just seemed that the events during the departure almost everyone knew at once that something happened...

Well, the show has focused on people who were significantly affected by the departure, plus for dramatic effect they showed it like that. But if you think about it, in a city 2 out of 100 people disappearing would absolutely cause massive chaos and many major car accidents on the freeway. If the show would have been going for a big spectacle (rather than character focused) they could have had huge pileups, airplanes falling out of the sky, etc.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
Is that really where the book ended? Doesn't seem like a very good conclusion.

Yes, season 1 ended where the book ended. Pretty much everything in season 1 was from the book with some changes and tweaks. Makes me curious as to where they will go in season 2, since the source material they were basing it on doesn't go past that point. But, with the writer of the book as one of the producers/writers of the show, I would think they have good groundwork to go on for another season.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
I continue to have a hard time with this series. I'm trying hard to like it, because the acting is actually really good, but the story line is just... bad. I had given up on it for the past few weeks, but then kind of caught up thinking they had to have answered something or given some foreshadowing going into the last episode; nope. here's no rhyme or rhythm, or any sense of where it's going. And that's not clever writing, that's just bad.

If you are looking for answers as to what happened or the overall "what is really going on?" your out of luck here. The book never answered those and I doubt the show ever will too. This is really about how people are dealing with the departure and the fall out from that, not the explanation of what really happened.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Well, the show has focused on people who were significantly affected by the departure, plus for dramatic effect they showed it like that. But if you think about it, in a city 2 out of 100 people disappearing would absolutely cause massive chaos and many major car accidents on the freeway. If the show would have been going for a big spectacle (rather than character focused) they could have had huge pileups, airplanes falling out of the sky, etc.

Yeah, they just showed some of the most dramatic outcomes. I'm sure there were plenty of people who were on their own who didn't even know that anything happened.

But think about where you are right now. If 2 out of every 100 people in my office disappeared it would be weird, but not completely chaotic.

Also, just thinking outloud, if all it took was to wish someone gone, everyones a-hole boss would be gone for sure!

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Anyone watch the season 2 premier? Lots of strange behaviors going on...... It's part of what makes the show so great. Leaving you hanging...... at the same time, also frustrating. You definitely need to be patient to watch this show.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I haven't recommended this show to anyone yet, because I don't even know if I like it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I haven't recommended this show to anyone yet, because I don't even know if I like it.
I always told people that all I can say is it is about the strangest thing I have ever watched but I couldn't stop watching.

I didn't realize season 2 started.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This 'mystery' schtick these shows are doing has finally started to ware on me. It started with Lost and shows are repeating this way of putting out there a ton of questions they have no intention of truly answering because there really isn't a way to do it without turning a lot of people off. It feels cheap. I don't need everything spelled out for me, but I feel some shows are just making it up as they go. They create all these questions you think are profound or important only to ignore a few episodes later or forget entirely the next season.
This season is all writers ideas with no source material so who knows whats gonna happen. I predict it takes a huge step back.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Saw it last night on the DVR. Apparently the first season covered the entire source material so season 2 is a whole new story. Can't wait to watch it.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
This 'mystery' schtick these shows are doing has finally started to ware on me. It started with Lost and shows are repeating this way of putting out there a ton of questions they have no intention of truly answering because there really isn't a way to do it without turning a lot of people off. It feels cheap. I don't need everything spelled out for me, but I feel some shows are just making it up as they go. They create all these questions you think are profound or important only to ignore a few episodes later or forget entirely the next season.
This season is all writers ideas with no source material so who knows whats gonna happen. I predict it takes a huge step back.

The the guy responsible for Lost - Damon Lindelof - is also the head writer for this show. So, if you are tired of that type of style, I don't think this show will get any better.

That said, I never watched Lost and while the number of questions will always outweigh the answers on The Leftovers, I am still in hook, line and sinker. This show is weird, depressing and great all at the same time.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
WTF was the first 5 minutes about? I didn't think the show could get weirder but it did. Some of the scenes just seemed completely random.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
WTF was the first 5 minutes about? I didn't think the show could get weirder but it did. Some of the scenes just seemed completely random.

I think the first 5 minutes is just introducing you to the new town and the new family that we are going to get to know. At first it a appears as though everything is relatively normal for these people, but we soon find out all is not as it seems.

Edit: Opps. I am guessing you are referring to the cave-woman scene.... I watched part of the episode one night and finished a different night. I forgot about that cave-woman scene. Yea they kind of explain it here:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/4/9452213/leftovers-season-2-premiere-recap-cavewoman

Last edited:

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
So is the new father a firefighter? What was the reference to him "working on his birthday" when he invited the neighbors for dinner? I'm still a little lost on what the fathers position in the community is. So does anyone think that the daughter's disappearance is a second set of departures or are we looking at foul play? I kind of wonder if the gov. or that scientist has found something out about the water, and have stolen it away, and the girls were witness. I am kind of leaning toward new departures. Perhaps the town only had a delay in departures and were in fact not spared...

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The the guy responsible for Lost - Damon Lindelof - is also the head writer for this show. So, if you are tired of that type of style, I don't think this show will get any better.

That said, I never watched Lost and while the number of questions will always outweigh the answers on The Leftovers, I am still in hook, line and sinker. This show is weird, depressing and great all at the same time.
This is what worries me about season 2. If he has complete control it will just be a convoluted mess like everything else he touches.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
So is the new father a firefighter? What was the reference to him "working on his birthday"

Watched the the season 2 premier and I have no idea wtf is going on but I'm pretty sure the father is in charge of vetting the new arrivals to the town to see if they are worthy of living there or not.

What a weird, weird episode. I'm still trying to process the first 10 minutes. No clue what's going on.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
So is the new father a firefighter? What was the reference to him "working on his birthday" when he invited the neighbors for dinner? I'm still a little lost on what the fathers position in the community is. So does anyone think that the daughter's disappearance is a second set of departures or are we looking at foul play? I kind of wonder if the gov. or that scientist has found something out about the water, and have stolen it away, and the girls were witness. I am kind of leaning toward new departures. Perhaps the town only had a delay in departures and were in fact not spared...

I was just assuming they got sucked down the hole along with the water.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm guessing the water sampler guy kidnapped the girls that's why there was a scene with them running through the woods naked... i have absolutely no idea what is going on though and i love it.