INSIDER: ISU no longer recruiting Wright, visitor information

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Maybe they should be a little more discerning about their offers, then.

In an ideal world yes. But recruiting kids today, the process starts during their junior year and a coaching staff pretty much has to offer a kid a scholarship if there is mutual interest.

It is a bit odd ISU would spend so much time watching Wright and then pull his scholarship at this point. As others have posted, the coaching staff must already have or are confident they will get a committment from a PG they value more.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Love how people were calling for answers, then when they got one, it wasn't what they thought so they question it's credibility. As CW stated, recruitment is as fluid as it gets, and sometimes things like this happen. I hope this means good things are ahead in this recruiting class!

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Love how people were calling for answers, then when they got one, it wasn't what they thought so they question it's credibility. As CW stated, recruitment is as fluid as it gets, and sometimes things like this happen. I hope this means good things are ahead in this recruiting class!

63068219.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You're probably right. However, I just don't see how if everything was out in the open, it could happen like this. If our staff told him he was our 4th or 5th option and that we were going to have to wait and see how some other kids played out before we could take his commitment, why put us in your top 5, schedule a visit, and insist on committing right away? Either from our staff or from Wright, it appears there was a miscommunication somewhere along the line.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Why were we recruiting this guy in the first place then? Did it take the staff that long to decide they didn't think he'd fit? They must be a hot mess on the recruiting trail.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand. This happens all the time. They have a big "draft board" like rankings for each position. You have to keep options open A recruits, B recruits, C recruits, etc.

McKinley wants to end his recruitment in September. Our staff thinks they are sitting well enough with guys higher on their board than McKinley.

He was honest, they were honest and it works best for everyone to move on if the two timelines don't fit.

This is not rocket science.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
However you cut it, I just can't imagine it's a good look to the kid and his coaches, in an area of the country that we need to make recruiting inroads.

Reactions: psychlone99

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Not sure why this is so hard to understand. This happens all the time. They have a big "draft board" like rankings for each position. You have to keep options open A recruits, B recruits, C recruits, etc.

McKinley wants to end his recruitment in September. Our staff thinks they are sitting well enough with guys higher on their board than McKinley.

He was honest, they were honest and it works best for everyone to move on if the two timelines don't fit.

This is not rocket science.

So instead of pulling his offer and completely ending the recruitment, why don't they just tell him they're aren't ready to accept his commitment, and still keep in contact with him?

For the staff to do this, they better have a kid secured very soon. Otherwise they could end up losing Wright and their next target(s), and lose out completely.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
So instead of pulling his offer and completely ending the recruitment, why don't they just tell him they're aren't ready to accept his commitment, and still keep in contact with him?

For the staff to do this, they better have a kid secured very soon. Otherwise they could end up losing Wright and their next target(s), and lose out completely.

How do you know they didn't? They may have told him exactly that, and he said "that doesn't work for me" and so both sides basically cut ties.

Don't read into Williams' title as an exact quote. He's summarizing how this all went down.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

I was deciding between 5 girls to hook up with last week and my #5 was ready to commit, but I think my #1 might be close too. I called #5 around midnight for a ride home after getting drunk with #2, who is a little more into this other guy.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It really is not as big of a deal as some are making it. Lots of people always complaining about how they want us to start recruiting/acting/carrying ourselves like a Blue Blood. Well, this is how the big dogs do it some times. Not saying we are a Blue Blood, but this is a move that shows confidence in our other(better) recruits and us being honest with a kid who wanted to make a decision right now. If we wouldn't have said anything and he committed to us, then our #1 or #2 recruits signs with us, it would have looked a lot worse telling a kid who had verbally committed that he no longer has an offer with us.

Reactions: VeloClone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The most important recruits for next year are going to be grad transfers and JUCOs. Guys they expect to come in play right away next year (unless of course they could somehow get Sexton). The other key to ISU being good next year: The returning players. Jackson, Babb, Young, Long, Kasongo, Carter (maybe Lard). I don't think Wright was someone that was going to be a huge impact guy his freshman year so in that respect I don't think it is that big of a deal in the end. Just weird they put so much time into the kid to just say 'see ya'.