INSIDER: ISU no longer recruiting Wright, visitor information

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This happens all of the time in recruiting FWIW.

I don't doubt that one bit. I just hope no one walks away with hard feelings. Like I've said, that is a neck-of-the-woods we cannot afford to burn any bridges in. As long as things were above-board and handled properly, then so be it.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't doubt that one bit. I just hope no one walks away with hard feelings. Like I've said, that is a neck-of-the-woods we cannot afford to burn any bridges in. As long as things were above-board and handled properly, then so be it.

Bridges, like Royce's coach? We've gotten zero from Minneapolis in the past 6 years and unless the next kid have a shot at is related to McKinley, this isn't going to matter.

You would burn far more bridges if you tell a kid you're only taking one HS PG this year.... Let McKinley commit, and then proceed to land a bigger fish (knowing that would lead to McKinley having to look around again).

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

It was. Like I said, Prohm is as class of a guy behind-the-scenes as I've ever seen in this biz.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Half the board didnt think this dude was good enough throughout the process, Prohm decides to move on and maybe find another one that is a better fit and people complain.

I dont know even know if the people who question everything this guy does know why they do besides the reason it is trendy. Some people will bring their own punch bowl to the party, just to pee in it.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I think what is ruffling people's feathers a bit is the headline. "Offer Pulled" seems very harsh - like we put the middle finger up and walked away. My guess is that it was nothing like that, but the headline can perhaps be read that way.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Half the board didnt think this dude was good enough throughout the process, Prohm decides to move on and maybe find another one that is a better fit and people complain.

I dont know even know if the people who question everything this guy does know why they do besides the reason it is trendy. Some people will bring their own punch bowl to the party, just to pee in it.

Good points. Speaking of a punch bowl, I think some folks should relax, trust our coaches and grab a cold beer.

Reactions: stateofmind

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Bridges, like Royce's coach? We've gotten zero from Minneapolis in the past 6 years and unless the next kid have a shot at is related to McKinley, this isn't going to matter.

You would burn far more bridges if you tell a kid you're only taking one HS PG this year.... Let McKinley commit, and then proceed to land a bigger fish (knowing that would lead to McKinley having to look around again).

I get that recruiting can be fluid and a coach is under an obligation to bring in the best players. But the timeline of:

July 30th-- Iowa State makes his final 5

August 1st-- He schedules a visit to Iowa State

August 5th-- He gets his offer pulled

is just odd. That's a whole lot of mind-changing by someone (not even necessarily Prohm) within a week long period. The whole thing just seems odd, but maybe it was handled just fine.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that there's a reason why most coaches aren't as honest or "stand-up" as Prohm behind the scenes. Being this honest has a chance to bite you in the rear. What I would do is try to schedule the official visit as late as possible. If that means telling him that the best weekend to visit is for the SJSU or Baylor game, so be it. That would give them enough time to try to get their bigger targets on campus first. You gotta play the game at this level, not be a nice guy. Hopefully this doesn't bite him.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Is offer was pulled, which we do in football, which Fred did. I'm pretty sure Fred told guys on the team that it is in their best interest to transfer out.

We have all be told to move on in some way or another, telling this kid he doesnt have a commitable offer at the moment, is the best thing for him. Why let him come down here and want to commit for nothing, all the while blowing his chances at other schools.

Everyone chill. Enjoy the weekend.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I get that recruiting can be fluid and a coach is under an obligation to bring in the best players. But the timeline of:

is just odd. That's a whole lot of mind-changing by someone (not even necessarily Prohm) within a week long period. The whole thing just seems odd, but maybe it was handled just fine.

Right after McKinnley released his top 5 he said ISU would be his first visit and planned on committing to a school in October. He set his official visit dates 2 days ago. Easy to infer he was talking to Neill and Prohm about setting one up yesterday and Prohm explained the situation.
The staff just got off the road last week, time for them to get together and provide their evaluations from July and prioritize targets. No reason to string a recruit along as a backup option, especially because the higher priority targets likely won't be committing for months.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All of a sudden, we don't get the 1,2,3, or 4 priority PG...they deny US. Then we turn to the 5th option...oh wait, we burned that bridge already. Call it a moral victory, call it whatever you want, Prohm had just better be sure this doesn't bite him in the ass.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA

He never actually scheduled a visit, FWIW. Just said he wanted to visit Iowa State first.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
All of a sudden, we don't get the 1,2,3, or 4 priority PG...they deny US. Then we turn to the 5th option...oh wait, we burned that bridge already. Call it a moral victory, call it whatever you want, Prohm had just better be sure this doesn't bite him in the ass.

Remember the staff has offered a number of PG's in this and next years class. There are JC and transfers that will become available too. 5 options can work out just as well. DeAndre Kane could have been considered that when he transferred in.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

You are really all in on this. I think it's hurting you more than Wright. Since you don't have any idea how it played out, maybe you should let it go.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Believe kids only get so many official visits, evaluations continue throughout the summer, for some reason, it was decided that perhaps the kid might not be the right fit, could be based on his play against stronger competition, could be he did not progress enough from AAU tournies last year vs this year. Whatever.

The **** move would have been to use up one of the kids visits knowing that you made a decision (after lots of evaluation) that he was not the right fit.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I dated a girl for 3 years. There were times during that period that I would have married her but in the end I could tell it wouldn't work. She's a wonderful girl but it wouldn't have been a good fit for team Cydkar.

Does this help some of you?
I don't think putting things in terms of dating girls is going to help most people on this site