Cutting the Cord

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Then that is what I will order. I already have a signal booster and get most of the channels using a cheap indoor antenna, they just sometimes fade in and out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, definitely if you already have the amp get the one I sent you.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Have you ever had problems with Vudu? Got a couple of free rentals for the app and decided to use them a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't get more than 10 seconds into each before they started to buffer and froze up. Went to settings and couldn't even check my download speed on their test. All other apps on my Roku worked fine after checking. Never had a problem with any of the others (Sling, ESPN, BTN, Hulu, etc) and typically have 20 mb/s download while their recommended is around 1-5 mb/s. Not sure what happened on that one.
Maybe uninstall Vudu and reinstall it? I've never had issues with it and I only get 12 MBPS internet.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A couple more questions on this. How does this work? Is it like cable/satellite where you can be watching something and recording something else simultaneously?

The DVR is my biggest hangup as I record and rewatch a lot sports. How well does Vue do with accommodating that? If they don't, can you hook up a different DVR device to accomplish this?

I'd love to see the answer to this. A lot of games I don't even watch until after the kids are in bed. I could easily get by with the 35.00 package which would be a huge savings for us.

• Agree
Reactions: BBHMagic

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'd love to see the answer to this. A lot of games I don't even watch until after the kids are in bed. I could easily get by with the 35.00 package which would be a huge savings for us.
I've researched it some since I asked and there just isn't much info out there for some odd reason. Maybe I don't know how to search it.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I went with this one, plus a cheap standalone amp:

https://amzn.com/B01C1YL16Y

Works fantastic. I just clamped it to the satellite pole and used the existing cable. And I am not sure that I actually needed the amp.

The one you pictured has some pretty negative stuff about it around the web.
When you said you clamped it to the satellite pole, is your satellite pole on ground level or is it on your roof? I have an existing satellite pole as well but it is on the ground level. I just want to make sure this will work from the ground level before I buy it.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Have you ever had problems with Vudu? Got a couple of free rentals for the app and decided to use them a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't get more than 10 seconds into each before they started to buffer and froze up. Went to settings and couldn't even check my download speed on their test. All other apps on my Roku worked fine after checking. Never had a problem with any of the others (Sling, ESPN, BTN, Hulu, etc) and typically have 20 mb/s download while their recommended is around 1-5 mb/s. Not sure what happened on that one.

Occasionally I'll have a purchased movie not work on our Roku. When that has happened it's always worked on our Roku-TV and on my computer, so I don't know what the deal was. It has always been temporary too and has worked later on. Other than that I love Vudu, especially for the kids to download a movie or 3 for their tablets if we are going on a road trip.

• Useful
Reactions: AmesHawk

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So we officially cut the cord a week ago and haven't been negatively impacted yet. I bought a Fire TV and we've been using PS Vue for a few days and its been great - even on a 5 Mbps internet connection. No buffering and great picture quality. Only thing I've noticed is that the ID channel sound sometimes lags over video so people's mouths don't match the sound. Haven't watched much sports since we at the football game this weekend and gone most of the rest of it. I plan on purchasing the NFL Redzone channel before Sunday.

I need to work on the OTA antenna placement because I'm only getting 8, 11, and 13 (even though I'm about a mile from KDSM).

Super happy so far and saving $90 per month in the process.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
So we officially cut the cord a week ago and haven't been negatively impacted yet. I bought a Fire TV and we've been using PS Vue for a few days and its been great - even on a 5 Mbps internet connection. No buffering and great picture quality. Only thing I've noticed is that the ID channel sound sometimes lags over video so people's mouths don't match the sound. Haven't watched much sports since we at the football game this weekend and gone most of the rest of it. I plan on purchasing the NFL Redzone channel before Sunday.

I need to work on the OTA antenna placement because I'm only getting 8, 11, and 13 (even though I'm about a mile from KDSM).

Super happy so far and saving $90 per month in the process.

Make sure your FireTV is up to date. Amazon released a firmware update that fixed problems most people were having with audio sync issues on PSVue. Glad to hear it's working well so far for you, we're in the same boat going on 3 months or so now

Reactions: cycloneworld

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
When you said you clamped it to the satellite pole, is your satellite pole on ground level or is it on your roof? I have an existing satellite pole as well but it is on the ground level. I just want to make sure this will work from the ground level before I buy it.

It all depends on line of site. since you are in CR, you need a fairly unobstructed view to the north - northwest. it doesn't have to be a flat view as far as the eye can see, just nothing right in front of you to the north. If you have that, you can mount it on the ground and be just fine. Otherwise you will need to get it up in the air a little bit.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I'm doing a free trial of Sling this week and have been pretty damn impressed. My only concern is, Mediacon is our only option for internet and we have a 2TB monthly limit. Has anyone who has cut the cord run into any issues with data limits?

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I'm doing a free trial of Sling this week and have been pretty damn impressed. My only concern is, Mediacon is our only option for internet and we have a 2TB monthly limit. Has anyone who has cut the cord run into any issues with data limits?
Wife and I have 250 gb limit and have never went over. Been close a few times but do not think we went over with moderate use. Think you would be good unless you purposely streamed 24/7.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Des Moines guys...What indoor antenna are you using for locals? I purchased the #1 selling antenna on Amazon, but can't pull ABC.

Amazon product
Thanks for any suggestions

You might not get ABC over the air with any of these antennae. That one is the weakest signal, at least when I was trying a couple years ago.

CBS--always the most powerful signal.
NBC--usually pretty good
ABC--might as well not be a thing.

That seems to be the trend I've seen here, there, or wherever.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Also, I'm sure it has been beaten to death on here but had some questions on CyclonesTV. Wife and I downloaded the app on Roku to watch the game on Saturday. Worked fine except for a few times it cut out (I know that's a sore subject here). Never signed up for an account or put payment info in for it. I've heard there is a subscription fee for the app, trying to figure out if I was just on a trial or if the game streaming is free and the fee is just for the other programming on the app.

I think she will want to watch other games on there and I believe at least one more is this year, correct?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

CenturyLink doesn't provide a way to check this. They don't charge for overages...yet...but we haven't gotten any nastygrams from them.

According to Netflix an hour of HD stream from them uses about 3 GB of data. There's 744 hours in a 31-day month; you would end up at 2.2 TB of data streaming Netflix all day in a month. 4K streams will use more, but I really doubt you have anything to worry about.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Also, I'm sure it has been beaten to death on here but had some questions on CyclonesTV. Wife and I downloaded the app on Roku to watch the game on Saturday. Worked fine except for a few times it cut out (I know that's a sore subject here). Never signed up for an account or put payment info in for it. I've heard there is a subscription fee for the app, trying to figure out if I was just on a trial or if the game streaming is free and the fee is just for the other programming on the app.

I think she will want to watch other games on there and I believe at least one more is this year, correct?
Unless they're allowed to stream the game at Texas on the Longhorn network on CyclonesTV there won't be any more games on there

Edit: According to the schedule the Texas game will be streamed on CyclonesTV

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: AmesHawk

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
How do you guys track your data limit/usage? Whenever I log onto medicom's site there is essentially zero useful info provided.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
CenturyLink doesn't provide a way to check this. They don't charge for overages...yet...but we haven't gotten any nastygrams from them.

According to Netflix an hour of HD stream from them uses about 3 GB of data. There's 744 hours in a 31-day month; you would end up at 2.2 TB of data streaming Netflix all day in a month. 4K streams will use more, but I really doubt you have anything to worry about.

On CenturyLink's crappy 5 Mbps package we only get 300 GB of data. I asked Customer Service about it when I signed up and they basically told me to ignore it as they won't do anything about higher data usage unless you are "an abuser of the system."

I also found this on CL's website which confirms it:
http://www.centurylink.com/help/index.php?assetid=317

• Agree
Reactions: cydline2cydline

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
How do you guys track your data limit/usage? Whenever I log onto medicom's site there is essentially zero useful info provided.
My wife does it and says it is a pain. I've been nervous a few times and had her check it, she told me she has to sign in a couple ways using a separate account than her regular mediacom one. If you start getting close (80% or 90% I think), you will see banners in the add space on top of webpages that warn you.