Cutting the Cord

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
NE Iowa gets both Comcast SportsNet Chicago and Fox Sports North on VUE. However, as others said, you have Fox Sports Go access, so you get everything...

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
We had sling + the espn pack for about 5 months last year, then turned the tv off till today when I got the psvue core package. Plus all the other apps that come along with it. It streams very nice and so far I would say is far superior to sling. I'll keep it till end of february then pick it back up in september.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
PS Vue seems pretty good so far. I'm just watching over Roku, which has a very basic interface.

My review: Good for determined cord cutters with good OTA setups. Not recommended for serious TV people.

• Agree
Reactions: AmesHawk

Mrke1

Jan 25, 2016
Have had Vue for two days now. So far, so good. Being able to log into all the watch anywhere appa is the real deal. It makes not having the broadcast channels a non-issue outside of CBS. Still reliant on an antenna for that. Best way to describe it is like having Hulu+live channels.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I'm doing a free trial of Sling this week and have been pretty damn impressed. My only concern is, Mediacon is our only option for internet and we have a 2TB monthly limit. Has anyone who has cut the cord run into any issues with data limits?

You will be fine. Watched a ton of Sling during the Olympics and didn't hit 500G.

• Informative
Reactions: ruxCYtable

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Sling just added Pac-12 Network. I am hoping Vue follows suit. I like having lots of options on Saturdays.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
It all depends on line of site. since you are in CR, you need a fairly unobstructed view to the north - northwest. it doesn't have to be a flat view as far as the eye can see, just nothing right in front of you to the north. If you have that, you can mount it on the ground and be just fine. Otherwise you will need to get it up in the air a little bit.
I hooked up that antenna on my existing satellite pole on ground level on the south side of my house. I was able to use the existing coax going into the house and hooked it to my antenna. I had pretty low expectations since my house would block the line of sight to the towers but I am pretty excited to say that I was able to easily pull in all of the major channels and then some. We'll see if my great reception is still there during a heavy rainstorm or snow fall but I am pretty thrilled given I spent 5 minutes to hook this thing up on existing hardware.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Question - I have SlingTV both with Fox and ESPN, but how can I watch the game tomorrow if it is on Big 10 network?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I also hooked up an antenna on our sat pole.
Question - I have SlingTV both with Fox and ESPN, but how can I watch the game tomorrow if it is on Big 10 network?
Unless its an unlicensed stream you gotta go somewhere else.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
BTN isn't on Sling yet, only PS Vue. You could do a free 7 day trial of PS Vue so you can get the game if that works. Just make sure you have a Roku or a Playstation 3 or 4.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
PS Vue seems pretty good so far. I'm just watching over Roku, which has a very basic interface.

My review: Good for determined cord cutters with good OTA setups. Not recommended for serious TV people.

What do you mean by serious TV people? Because at least for me the benefit of Vue is that it gets me credentials to log in to basically every TV streaming app other than premium ones like HBONow. Pretty much the only thing I'd need OTA for is if I wanted to watch the local news. Everything else is streamed live.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA

Really wish they would make their interface better. Something like what Sling has would be great.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
What do you mean by serious TV people? Because at least for me the benefit of Vue is that it gets me credentials to log in to basically every TV streaming app other than premium ones like HBONow. Pretty much the only thing I'd need OTA for is if I wanted to watch the local news. Everything else is streamed live.
Probably the DVR issue, as that seems to turn off some people. While Vue lets you stream former shows once you add them, it doesn't work near as well as a true DVR like DirectTV's would.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Really wish they would make their interface better. Something like what Sling has would be great.

Apparently the Vue interface is way better on Fire TV, and they are developing the same sort of guide for Roku. Right now it is clunky but workable.

• Agree
Reactions: AmesHawk

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I hooked up that antenna on my existing satellite pole on ground level on the south side of my house. I was able to use the existing coax going into the house and hooked it to my antenna. I had pretty low expectations since my house would block the line of sight to the towers but I am pretty excited to say that I was able to easily pull in all of the major channels and then some. We'll see if my great reception is still there during a heavy rainstorm or snow fall but I am pretty thrilled given I spent 5 minutes to hook this thing up on existing hardware.

Awesome! Did you use an amp?

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Cut the cord several months ago and have Sling, really like it so far. So glad we did that, instead of paying for tons of crappy cable stations we didn't watch. Been waiting for something like this for years.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
BTN isn't on Sling yet, only PS Vue. You could do a free 7 day trial of PS Vue so you can get the game if that works. Just make sure you have a Roku or a Playstation 3 or 4.
Good, idea. I'll do that, i have PS3 and roku. Then cancel after.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Awesome! Did you use an amp?
Nope. I figured I would try without the Amp and see where that got me and get one only if I needed it. Everything has worked flawlessly so far. I am really loving my new TV set up. I have all of the channels I want, the ability to watch anywhere via the PS Vue app, and I am saving $65 per month and that was compared to Mediacom's promo rate which would have expired for me in a few months.