Cutting the Cord

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
If Vue comes to Apple TV I will have to try it. No device to verify on so can't even use my iPad.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I hooked up that antenna on my existing satellite pole on ground level on the south side of my house. I was able to use the existing coax going into the house and hooked it to my antenna. I had pretty low expectations since my house would block the line of sight to the towers but I am pretty excited to say that I was able to easily pull in all of the major channels and then some. We'll see if my great reception is still there during a heavy rainstorm or snow fall but I am pretty thrilled given I spent 5 minutes to hook this thing up on existing hardware.

Weather affects my antenna reception VERY little. Satellites are the ones that get affected the most by weather.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Weather affects my antenna reception VERY little. Satellites are the ones that get affected the most by weather.
Good to know. I love how satellites claim to be 99.9% reliable. When we used to have Directv, any heavy rain or snow messed with our reception. Pretty crappy given how much of a premium you pay for Directv.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Good to know. I love how satellites claim to be 99.9% reliable. When we used to have Directv, any heavy rain or snow messed with our reception. Pretty crappy given how much of a premium you pay for Directv.

to be fair, 99.9% is only 24 hours of outage an entire year. And I'd bet they are north of that mark too.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Anyone know which streaming channel is closer to live streaming: BTN2Go via Roku or BTN on Playstation Vue via Roku? Thanks

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Anyone else ever had problems with Sling. Probably my crappy internet but everything else is working. I go to watch something on Sling on Roku or my Laptop and the thing just spins.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Anyone else ever had problems with Sling. Probably my crappy internet but everything else is working. I go to watch something on Sling on Roku or my Laptop and the thing just spins.
Mine works perfect. Takes a couple seconds after you change the channel to "crisp up" the picture, then good to go.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not worried about the picture, I have it set at the lowest bitrate. It just won't stream anything for the last three days.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone know which streaming channel is closer to live streaming: BTN2Go via Roku or BTN on Playstation Vue via Roku? Thanks

It's been my experience that PS Vue is faster (closer to live) compared to watchespn or fs2go.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Anyone having issues with the Fox Sports Go app on Roku? I haven't been able to watch anything live all week. Is all show replays. FS1 is nowhere to be found.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm trying the free trial on Vue. Can you not record football games? I've been able to add other shows to My Shows but I get an error message when I try to add football games.

Secondly does the guide only go like 12 hours ahead?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
AT&T threw their hat into the cord cutting ring today, announcing DirecTV Now.
$35/month for 100 channels, which weren't specified.
Supposed to be available in November.
http://www.businessinsider.com/directv-now-35-per-month-with-100-channels-2016-10?op=1

If this allows multiple streams like PS Vue, I'd give it a try, since I'm currently paying $35/mo for Vue.

The fact that AT&T and DirecTV are planning for TV-over-Internet to be "the primary TV platform by 2020" shows that a huge shift is coming to the industry, and fast. Hopefully the Big 12 adapts to it best.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The fact that AT&T and DirecTV are planning for TV-over-Internet to be "the primary TV platform by 2020" shows that a huge shift is coming to the industry, and fast. Hopefully the Big 12 adapts to it best.

Yeah, we generally are the best at maneuvering behind the scenes to outflank these other conferences. ;)

In all seriousness I've actually long thought our only hope is that since we're so incredibly and utterly stupid at decision making in this current TV model, we might accidentally succeed when it flips. We are certainly completely hopeless when it comes to our intentional actions.

Reactions: CyJam

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Those numbers for Monday Night Football are ridiculous. Who in their right or even drunken stupor thinks that ~16 Football games a year is worth $1.9 Billion dollars. College football is underpaid on that level of stupid.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/e...cribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

It will interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years. I will still pick up sling for BB season as long as it stays at $25 with sports pack.

I hope more people read this. The analogy at the end of this paragraph perfectly describes the problem ESPN has:

And it's not just sports channels, ESPN's in infinitely worse shape than any other cable network out there too because it makes more than any other channel off the current business model and because those channels don't have the billions in fixed costs that ESPN does. If CNN makes less money on subscriber revenue, they can spend less on news gathering. If AMC makes less money in subscriber fees, they'll pay for fewer shows, but ESPN's entire business is predicated on the billions they owe for sports rights every year into the foreseeable future. ESPN made a bet that exclusive live sports rights would be the moat that protected its castle from all attackers. The problem is this, that moat flooded the castle instead.