Iowa Football Recruiting

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Nearly all D1 football players are "athletes". That doesn't mean that a kid who played exclusively at QB for 4 years is gonna just be able to flip over to LB and beat out other just as good athletes who have been practicing and training at LB for years.

I like Lanning, he is a good teammate, as lots of players in his position would have sulked and then transferred. Yet I don't think it is a good sign if he can just beat out the current LB, that wouldn't speak well of the LB currently there. That is all I'm saying.

Didn't the Hawks have some true freshmen play (maybe start) last year? What's the difference between someone who understands the in and outs of defenses (a starting an needs to) and someone who just showed up from the HS game? I think the former an what be better prepared.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Nearly all D1 football players are "athletes". That doesn't mean that a kid who played exclusively at QB for 4 years is gonna just be able to flip over to LB and beat out other just as good athletes who have been practicing and training at LB for years.

I like Lanning, he is a good teammate, as lots of players in his position would have sulked and then transferred. Yet I don't think it is a good sign if he can just beat out the current LB, that wouldn't speak well of the LB currently there. That is all I'm saying.
I'm going to doubt that he beats out our best linebackers.

But with that being said, why not at least give one of your best pound for pound athletes another chance to get on the field since he's not your best QB?

I'm not expecting him to see a lot of time at LB, but what does it hurt to try?

Aug 26, 2014
Didn't the Hawks have some true freshmen play (maybe start) last year? What's the difference between someone who understands the in and outs of defenses (a starting an needs to) and someone who just showed up from the HS game? I think the former an what be better prepared.
Especially someone who has been reading defense for a few years. I would take a guy that understands the game really well, who is a great athlete, and works really hard over someone new to college football. I mean he's not going to be any worse than someone like Bo Bower.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I'm going to doubt that he beats out our best linebackers.

But with that being said, why not at least give one of your best pound for pound athletes another chance to get on the field since he's not your best QB?

I'm not expecting him to see a lot of time at LB, but what does it hurt to try?

I totally agree with this. Give him a shot to see the field for sure if he can help you elsewhere. Plus backup LB usually play a lot on ST.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Slightly OT but ISU is serious about this "Raise the Standard" theme.

Word is from the ACE Coaches Clinic in Des Moines that most of, if not all, of the Clone staff attended the session taught by Doyle and were feverishly taking notes he entire time.

Learn from the best, right?

Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Word is from the ACE Coaches Clinic in Des Moines that most of, if not all, of the Clone staff attended the session taught by Doyle and were feverishly taking notes he entire time.

All these Hoks over here trying to tell us how great they are just reeks of fear, doesn't it? I find it hilarious.

It kinda reminds of Trump a bit. He still talks about his Inauguration crowd size being the biggest, or the 3-5 million people that must have voted illegally, instead of just being able to enjoy his victory. Hey Donald, you won, get over it.

The Hoks all feel like they constantly need to come over here and validate their program and can't just enjoy the fact they beat us badly this year. Get over it people.

Fact is, they are scared to death of what Campbell might be building here, so they feel the need to come over here and remind us how great they are. Whatever. I think they might be scared.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

Doyle spoke for 45 minutes. My guy who was at that session said most if not all were feverishly doodling.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Hopefully they didn't take too many notes. Doyle sucks

• Funny
Reactions: AltHawk

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Doyle spoke for 45 minutes. My guy who was at that session said most if not all were feverishly doodling.

Were the Oregon trainers there as well? Need to get notes from the best about treating rhabdomyolysis.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Were the Oregon trainers there as well? Need to get notes from the best about treating rhabdomyolysis.

Yeah, for the sake of our players' livers and kidneys, I hope our coaches weren't taking too many notes. Our players safety is more important than wins.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

Wouldn't surprise me, Campbell seems like a smart coach so this makes sense.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree that Campbell does want to have bigger and stronger OL's and DL's versus the smaller and quicker ones that Rhoads had, but I don't think Campbell wants to build them up like Doyle does.... that's too dangerous and not safe.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Maybe Campbell at least figured out how to prepare better for non conference opponents from Doyle, as he is an expert motivator.
There is nobody out there that could train you how to be an effective troll in 45 minutes let alone s&c.