Seemingly never ending Iowa MBB thread (still going.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I guess I just don't understand how you believe you can remove the defensive focus that jok is, and that has allowed the other players to get opportunities because the other team won't let him beat you, and think that these guys are going to magically improve. Add that Fran does not have the best track record, and it becomes even more dicey. Then realize that the PG position is still a questIon mark, and there is another hurdle.

They may be better, but to automatically assume that a group of role players are going to flourish is a leap of faith.

It is easy. It is the same way that Iowa lost Gatens and then became a NCAA team, or they way they lost Marble and then were still a NCAA team or when they lost White and were a NCAA team. It is the same way White left ISU and they were still a NCAA team or when Ejim and Kane left or when Niang, McKay, and Nadar left.

It is about what you have to replace them. Every team loses players, but what do you have there to replace them with? Iowa is returning 75% of its scoring and 85+% of both its rebounding and assists.

I'm not worried at all, and as I keep saying I'd be willing to bet anyone on it. When I say bet, let's just keep it easy and make it about who knows basketball, and just add a signature line to your profiles. Just for fun stuff. Any takers?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But for a freshman PG that is bad, according to you, to be almost as good of a shooter as ISU's best PG in school history as a senior is outstanding.

Apples to Oranges. I'm sure UNI and Drake have players with a higher eFG% than Monte, doesn't make them as good

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
O

When Iowa State played in Orlando, Katz mentioned in a cut away that the appeal for taking the Iowa State job was because it was a basketball school without a huge shadow cast over by the football program. It was a factor in the jobs he actually looked at. It was also why he didn't really pursue Alabama.

Now his family is from the south, that may be a factor, but not because it's a better job. The fan support is tepid, and basketball is the season between football and baseball.

You guys must really be worried. Funny

Everything you said is a factor for sure except the part that said I'm worried. I just think if a national title is your goal, you could win one easier at LSU than you could at Iowa State or Iowa.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
If it were on a neutral court TCU would be favored and if TCU was at home they'd be favored by a lot.

Good thing Iowa had he better year and got home court advantage then. I didn't rank the teams, but those who did thought this.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't think he would either, but I think LSU would be the better job myself if the pay was even.
Why, exactly? Because they are well known for football nationally and have a terrible basketball following within their school?

They dropped 37.25 percent from 11,383 to 7,143 in attendance this year, and yes most of that had to do with Ben Simmons but before that, they were only at 8,897 average. So fan support isn't there like it would be. LA isn't exactly a hot-bed for basketball talent or a well respected name in their region of basketball schools. If Prohm leaves it is to Alabama or a blue blood, that would be my guess. But I will eat crow if I am wrong

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Why, exactly? Because they are well known for football nationally and have a terrible basketball following within their school?

They dropped 37.25 percent from 11,383 to 7,143 in attendance this year, and yes most of that had to do with Ben Simmons but before that, they were only at 8,897 average. So fan support isn't there like it would be. LA isn't exactly a hot-bed for basketball talent or a well respected name in their region of basketball schools. If Prohm leaves it is to Alabama or a blue blood, that would be my guess. But I will eat crow if I am wrong

They will always be second fiddle to football, that is true. But the right coach could turn LSU basketball into what Florida basketball has been and is today. You could win a national title at LSU by just recruiting the state and nothing more.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Funny how Clone fans went from telling us Prohm sucked to now saying he should take better jobs

FIFY,

I haven't seen Iowa fans ripping Prohm, but I have seen lots of Clones fans on here rip him up and down, some of my buddies were also way down on Prohm when the started slow in conference play. I had to give them a pep talk to tell them lots of season left.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
JorBo's jersey mine as well be hanging in the rafters of Hilton next year, cause his freshman year = better career than Monte.

What kind of numbers do you think are reasonable to expect from Wigginton next year? Just curious. I thought Jordan would be lucky to get 15 MPG and 5 PPG. He really exceeded my wildest expectations.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
FIFY,

I haven't seen Iowa fans ripping Prohm, but I have seen lots of Clones fans on here rip him up and down, some of my buddies were also way down on Prohm when the started slow in conference play. I had to give them a pep talk to tell them lots of season left.

He must be a really good coach if he should take a better job than ISU! You must be new here, Iowa fans said ISU was going to irrelevant after Fred left

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They will always be second fiddle to football, that is true. But the right coach could turn LSU basketball into what Florida basketball has been and is today. You could win a national title at LSU by just recruiting the state and nothing more.
Yeah, no. Louisiana is not a basketball recruiting hot-bed. Texas can recruit their state and compete nationally, Illinois (if they landed the best players) could recruit in the state and be nationally relevant. Louisiana, no, LSU has 2 of the top 5 players in the state and no talk about their recruiting class.

If LSU couldn't get recruits to keep coming there after landing the biggest recruiting name in the past 5 years, it's going to take an awful lot to build their national perception up.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
He must be a really good coach if he should take a better job than ISU! You must be new here, Iowa fans said ISU was going to irrelevant after Fred left

Link? I'd be curious to see it.

I have been lurking here long enough to see lot and lots of post by Clone fans ripping him. I have also seen you consistently ripping those guys, you have seemed to support him, but don't pretend that lots of ISU fans were way down on him, and ripped him up and down.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
What kind of numbers do you think are reasonable to expect from Wigginton next year? Just curious. I thought Jordan would be lucky to get 15 MPG and 5 PPG. He really exceeded my wildest expectations.
No idea, haven't seen him play at the collegiate level (even though his HS games are essentially that) but if Lindell averages as many minutes as JorBo, I would be confident in saying that he will at least average the same as those stats.

Again, I am expecting Lindell to have to come in and start, but he hasn't walked on campus yet so I can't say with any certainty one way or the other.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, no. Louisiana is not a basketball recruiting hot-bed. Texas can recruit their state and compete nationally, Illinois (if they landed the best players) could recruit in the state and be nationally relevant. Louisiana, no, LSU has 2 of the top 5 players in the state and no talk about their recruiting class.

If LSU couldn't get recruits to keep coming there after landing the biggest recruiting name in the past 5 years, it's going to take an awful lot to build their national perception up.

Jonny Jones is an awful coach. Like I said with the right coach watch out. LSU could become what Florida is. The state of Louisiana has 11 players in the NBA right now. Most of those guys never played at LSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.