Underwood to Illinois?

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Just spoke with an Oklahoma State official and was told Brad Underwood flew back with the team after the Michigan game Friday, landing at 8 pm CT. There was no indication he was leaving. School official was stunned and learned about his hiring at Illinois via twitter.

i
Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer

• Informative
Reactions: bawbie and BBHMagic

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
The only thing that could make this worse for Okie State...the NCAA discovers multiple serious violations by Underwood while at OSU...and OSU is punished!

• Funny
Reactions: BBHMagic

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just spoke with an Oklahoma State official and was told Brad Underwood flew back with the team after the Michigan game Friday, landing at 8 pm CT. There was no indication he was leaving. School official was stunned and learned about his hiring at Illinois via twitter.

i

Ouch

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

i
WOW! **** move.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

i
That's messed up.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009

i
What a sleezeball. I'm not even an Okie State fan and that pisses me off.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't think it's crazy at all. I think he could probably do better than OSU if he wanted, but going to OSU would allow him to continue coaching against teams he is familiar with and continue to recruit Texas where he has done a great job of recruiting.

I didn't say it was crazy, but you didn't answer my question. Seems pretty rare that someone would leave a head coaching position for another one within the conference. Tubby Smith comes to mind 20 years ago leaving Georgia for a blue blood.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You'd think though that a man of character would atleast talk to his current boss in this situation, and give the current employer a chance to upgrade the contract.

Maybe they talked previously?
I really don't see a moral obligation to talk to an employer about my discussions with another employer. That's just begging for trouble more than anything else.

It doesn't look great to a bunch of people, but it's probably the best way to handle it from a personal and professional standpoint.

• Dislike
Reactions: robkuhl588

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
1 mil to 3.5 mil doesn't sound too lateral to me.

We also don't know how his relationship with the AD or fanbase were going. Having been there only a year he probably didn't feel he was truly rooted there either.

Add in a watered down big 10. Illinois is a recruiting hot bed. Groce had the number 1 recruiting class coming in next year. We'll see if Underwood can keep them but there is potential there.

Really glad Jamie chose Prohm over Underwood 2 years ago. We'd have a chance to be blindsided just like OSU fans.

Reactions: kingcy

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I wanted Underwood over Prohm two years ago. That may have been a disaster.