Underwood to Illinois?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Wow, I like it though! Illinois must have paid him a ton of money.

I am sure it was a raise, but Underwood was grossly underpaid at OSU. Fans were already requesting the AD give him a major bump or fearfull of losing him. Rightfully so.

KSU fans thought they had a good chance of pry him away from OSU with a solid offer.
At last they are now left with the tenure of Webber.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Illinois has a way bigger image of themselves than reality. They have some good history in spots, but are far far from a blue blood. Northwestern and Norte Dame are bigger in Chicago than UIUC.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What would Prohm do if someone threw $3.5 million per year at him?
Probably depends on the school, but given the schools that would probably throw out that number, i imagine if we didnt significantly raise the salary he'd jump at that.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Man, that's got to hurt. Now they can start the "we want a coach that wants to be here talk" that helps hurt fans deal with rejection

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Probably depends on the school, but given the schools that would probably throw out that number, i imagine if we didnt significantly raise the salary he'd jump at that.

This.
Also, I've never had the chance, but I have trouble thinking that I turn down $3.5 million just to work for less. It's hard to fathom turning that down.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Listen and talk to JP. CSP should that is life changing money.

That said, he's turned down jobs when at Murray State for the right opportunity which ended up being ISU. He is loyal and as long as he feels he is fairly compensated he'll be ISU coach for a while.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Illinois has a way bigger image of themselves than reality. They have some good history in spots, but are far far from a blue blood. Northwestern and Norte Dame are bigger in Chicago than UIUC.
But Illinois should be very good, with where they are located. Plus, the Big Ten Network is like an ATM for those schools.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

Illinois should, at a minimum, be a perennial NCAA tournament team. Their proximity to Chicago and St. Louis alone should give them a recruiting edge. They aren't going after the same recruits as Northwestern, and Notre Dame typically goes for actual student athletes. Illinois isn't a blue blood, but I would put them in the next tier. It's a definite jump up from OSU.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy and baagoe

Spam

May 21, 2008

Prohm would not do that to a school after one year. Not many coaches would. If you move to another school aftr 3-4 years, that's fair.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
How often do coaches stay at a school for a decade and then leave for a job within the same conference? Oklahoma State seems unrealistic for Drew to leave to.

I don't think it's crazy at all. I think he could probably do better than OSU if he wanted, but going to OSU would allow him to continue coaching against teams he is familiar with and continue to recruit Texas where he has done a great job of recruiting.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Illinois should, at a minimum, be a perennial NCAA tournament team. Their proximity to Chicago and St. Louis alone should give them a recruiting edge. They aren't going after the same recruits as Northwestern, and Notre Dame typically goes for actual student athletes. Illinois isn't a blue blood, but I would put them in the next tier. It's a definite jump up from OSU.
I agree that they should be a perennial NCAA tournament team, but it isn't a step up from OSU. It maybe is a half step, but it is a pretty lateral move.