Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Today was a bittersweet day. My grandmother went to a nursing home after getting out of the hospital. In the few weeks since it was apparent that the change is a permanent one so today we began the process to cleaning out her senior living apartment. Came across a box of stuff she had saved that I made for her as a little kid. Really got the emotions going. Grandma's are the best. Can't wait to pay her a visit and give her a big hug. :)
Sounds like you got a good one there rulzzz

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Wife took toddler GTO to the park today and texted me during my lunch time: "Is it okay for baby to touch roly polys?" Apparently, she saw him picking up something and bring it to her and she thought at first that it was a rock. Upon closer inspection, she noticed the moving legs and realized what it was.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Wife took toddler GTO to the park today and texted me during my lunch time: "Is it okay for baby to touch roly polys?" Apparently, she saw him picking up something and bring it to her and she thought at first that it was a rock. Upon closer inspection, she noticed the moving legs and realized what it was.

I'm sorry, but you must now get rid of baby GTO.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Funny thing is that I played with a ton of bugs growing up. A few of the highlights I remember:

millipedes (small ones)
image012.jpg

thorn bugs
13.jpg

whatever this bettle is called (we called them "vaquitas")
6070150366_fb233a7ca5.jpg

beetles
80490734.gpxjhPpe.jpg

Bugs I absolutely hated and would never go near them: centipedes, praying mantis, any type of spider.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'm sorry, but you must now get rid of baby GTO.
Baby GTO is not afraid of anything, so always have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't pick up something dangerous. Mrs. GTO is not as helicopterish as I am, so he gets away with more when I'm not around.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Today was a bittersweet day. My grandmother went to a nursing home after getting out of the hospital. In the few weeks since it was apparent that the change is a permanent one so today we began the process to cleaning out her senior living apartment. Came across a box of stuff she had saved that I made for her as a little kid. Really got the emotions going. Grandma's are the best. Can't wait to pay her a visit and give her a big hug. :)

It's a tough task I have been through a lot Rulzzz. Always a mix of happy and sad. I'm sure some day my kids will be all like, why did that crazy old bat keep this stuff? I can never throw away their artwork, no matter how much it is just crayon scribbling.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's a tough task I have been through a lot Rulzzz. Always a mix of happy and sad. I'm sure some day my kids will be all like, why did that crazy old bat keep this stuff? I can never throw away their artwork, no matter how much it is just crayon scribbling.

This is why my mother's old house attic and my sister's basement is totes full of "stuff". My BIL and I want to roll a dumpster up to both houses except my sister objects. :rolleyes:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is why my mother's old house attic and my sister's basement is totes full of "stuff". My BIL and I want to roll a dumpster up to both houses except my sister objects. :rolleyes:

We actually live in the house I grew up in, so it makes a bigger problem. We moved in after my mom died to have some more room for the brood and bought out my siblings share. Siblings were happy about it as they got cash and didn't have to give up the house. My sister had all of this stuff she wanted to save for her, but she never takes it with her and we are just supposed to keep it for her. My brothers were much better about taking what they wanted. With a lot of siblings, we at least had no fights over stuff like my wacky in-laws had when husband's grandmother died. My sisters-in-law were surprised my sister and I agreed about Mom's rings. We kind of just looked at them, and I was thinking they had the best marriage I have been around, I would like to keep her wedding ring, and my sister was relieved because being a romantic, she wanted to have Mom's engagement ring. Husband's family still arguing over granny's paintings 20+ years later.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We actually live in the house I grew up in, so it makes a bigger problem. We moved in after my mom died to have some more room for the brood and bought out my siblings share. Siblings were happy about it as they got cash and didn't have to give up the house. My sister had all of this stuff she wanted to save for her, but she never takes it with her and we are just supposed to keep it for her. My brothers were much better about taking what they wanted. With a lot of siblings, we at least had no fights over stuff like my wacky in-laws had when husband's grandmother died. My sisters-in-law were surprised my sister and I agreed about Mom's rings. We kind of just looked at them, and I was thinking they had the best marriage I have been around, I would like to keep her wedding ring, and my sister was relieved because being a romantic, she wanted to have Mom's engagement ring. Husband's family still arguing over granny's paintings 20+ years later.

Well, my oft suggested solution to my mom's house, "burn it down", won't work for you since you live there! Seriously, I am tempted to just give my half of the house to my sister, just not sure it's worth my time and trouble at this point in my life. Guess I could give my half to ISU and pisss my sister off. :rolleyes:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't have a really good place to put this, so I'm going to post it here in the random thoughts thread.

I cured and smoked my own bacon this week for the first time. Took it and sliced it up last night and I'm really proud of how it turned out. I'm going to try some different rubs/cures/smokes moving forward to try some new things.

9_QKDK1TspBFh7plG2djxu0nzSvT8kjYlG-098zHYkDIvMOvNnQ12y8zpLWNdtUwDG4MLPqWX9cx-NtMHtS4n9SHjKKJvtxtAlQuzyB2UlnUwtjXzdUjOjD6fhK0X_3R3S6sV-OwmwFY1Q7ktjmortTG7nAD5eBgNhsK9UHIQgM6D32L0VxChpUpU6iv-8CQccLPwdNUv46YNKGkpZ3BOsxwLAGFLnDZvwwsehrsIbIe6AdJmxyr88Jd1oL4OPlTuH65Rmn-GaTqE3yl588KG_kOUv4Rugyb5wL8RCoHOx7_OlDoeldKX6X3ueQnEbU6e4yAAshO9Vtoasy7qQgr6YFEArp1s2IZJHidaUEOeJj4LM6JSVc0l4aE2hodliGpyeHEhDkkhtnYOlsDb_3hAzrp7c8fgBwN17Itjmr4VI8hXzBwiiQUkF23efkGYpaGCpeC1OF_swDDzdTcIDN088JmXJXYA6oyO4AxP0MeL9GXv0Nmdr5GhuIy64UtaF--b2SjmlEddXlLaIh4pdDXNSQOMyDtfL0ygjYXWdcHoVhWq7u4zmRJkdCEIzt8utf6AwrHkNhWqG2ANoPSLP4aJ4oxh6rsUcPF2Eam7ms81ECnW2OF-uc3=w503-h894-no

Being the only one that actually knows you I think I get first dibs.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Rulzz, I'm sure your Grandma is going to love that hug. I had one set of grandparents that kept all our letters and school pictures and such, we got those back (I have gone through and kept what I wanted). My mom was the oldest and she and her sister went through and divided everything out among all the grandkids. I have a couple boxes of hankies, costume jewelry, bolo ties, polished rocks, etc from those grandparents. My other set I don't have as much from, except my grandma was a quilter and have a few special quilts and blankets from her. Our oldest daughter inherited her original engagement ring since she was named after her--very neat looking ring from the 1920's.

After staying at my parents' over spring break (which also was my dad's birthday) the 5yr old wrote a nice birthday greeting for grandpa. I hope he keeps that for a little while, tells him how awesome he is with kindergarten spelling.

And because I know you all want to know, softball was cancelled for today. Going to try and get all teams 3 games tomorrow. And ouch on the ISU opener--TT put up 13 runs in the first inning and it took 3 pitchers to get out. Boxter's MN girl finally got them out of the inning.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Coming into MSP on I-35, a vehicle passes us and some kid throws half his body out the window and starts waving at us or so he vehicle beside us. Tried to figure out what his problem was. Youngest says that looks like "cousin". I said it wasn't. 2 minutes later my wife gets a text from my nephew saying they just passed us.

You Minnesota people are odd.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.