POLL: Do you want to keep playing Iowa?

Do you want the Cy-Hawk football series to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 402 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 122 23.3%

• Total voters

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I have some douche **** Iowa fan friends tbat would be a lot less douche if we didn't play. If they don't want to play fb every year then cancel bb too, unless they want to play in Hilton every year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I literally cannot understand the people in here saying that we should not schedule Iowa for some reason, particularly to play some cupcake.

I, as a fan, would rather a competitive game played over one of the best rivalries in college football instead of a boring "auto-win," even if Iowa State has a rather poor history of even winning those automatic games that we are supposed to have.

Say our win expectation against a cupcake is 0.8 and against Iowa it is 0.4 or so. I would gladly pay what damage that 0.4 win expectation downgrade does to our bowl chances for the fun of playing Iowa. Come on, people, it is good for the state.

Playing another MAC school or Tulsa again in some lame bowl just does not compare.

There have been countless traditional, glorious rivalries disrupted and ruined by the shifting of conferences -- Pitt and West Virginia, Texas and Texas A&M and/or Arkansas, Florida and Miami, Oklahoma and Nebraska, Utah and BYU, Cincinnati and Louisville, to just name a few. There are dozens of them. It is a huge stain on the sport, to me.

That somebody would voluntarily want to do the same to ISU and Iowa is just terrible.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
With Veishea gone, the ISU-Iowa football game at JTS is easily the top event on the Iowa State campus, even if only every other year. Yeah, makes sense to consider cancelling...

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I literally cannot understand the people in here saying that we should not schedule Iowa for some reason, particularly to play some cupcake.

I, as a fan, would rather a competitive game played over one of the best rivalries in college football instead of a boring "auto-win," even if Iowa State has a rather poor history of even winning those automatic games that we are supposed to have.

Say our win expectation against a cupcake is 0.8 and against Iowa it is 0.4 or so. I would gladly pay what damage that 0.4 win expectation downgrade does to our bowl chances for the fun of playing Iowa. Come on, people, it is good for the state.

Playing another MAC school or Tulsa again in some lame bowl just does not compare.

There have been countless traditional, glorious rivalries disrupted and ruined by the shifting of conferences -- Pitt and West Virginia, Texas and Texas A&M and/or Arkansas, Florida and Miami, Oklahoma and Nebraska, Utah and BYU, Cincinnati and Louisville, to just name a few. There are dozens of them. It is a huge stain on the sport, to me.

That somebody would voluntarily want to do the same to ISU and Iowa is just terrible.

Agree, this topic comes up every off season and it is as dumb as the first time it came up. Besides message board hero's don't decide whether this game should continue. It will continue so this topic is stupid.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that the 'cyclowns' slip up wasn't at all an accident. And it was all the more maddening when they wouldn't admit that it wasn't.
Maybe that's a pretty good sign it was just an accident. I must be the only person who misspeaks; if you put a camera/mic in front of my face and had me say "cyclones" over and over again there would probably be a time when I said cyclowns or something that sounded like it

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Agree, this topic comes up every off season and it is as dumb as the first time it came up. Besides message board hero's don't decide whether this game should continue. It will continue so this topic is stupid.

True enough. CW and his clickbait, right?

I am glad both respective ADs and the Regents seem committed to the game.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I laugh at the Iowa fans that want to drop ISU with the thinking they will schedule some top 30 P5 school in our place. You seriously believe that? Because if you drop ISU, I can guarantee you Barta will be adding another MTSU type school to your schedule, not Auburn or someone like that.

If you think ISU wins too often against you, why would you replace us with someone you will lose to 8 out of 10 times instead of just half the time?

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I for one would vote for two on two off. Schedule cupcakes until ISU FB is on its feet and then start mixing in MN, NU, IL in the off years. I really don't care to see those guys in our tailgate lots.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well I'm old school and really don't get fired up about a 6-6 team making the Boise bowl. Congrats to the team but I'm not going to travel to support that. Iowa is P5 and think way too much of themselves so keep them on the schedule and get good enough to beat them like a drum and enjoy the hawkeye tears. Hell we haven't been all that good in FB and we are basically .500 against them in the last 15 years. It gives the casual fans something to get excited about for a week and have some fun. Plus it makes a boatload of money for whichever town is hosting that year. It also makes some extra money for whatever towns host RVTV that week. If CMC gets to where he is consistently at .500 or better in the B12 we'll be beating Iowa 2/3rds of the time or more anyway.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
They view the (many) losses to us the same way we view our losses to UNI. That's not a good thing.
But it's not the same. UNI isn't a threat to our superiority. That's what we are to Iowa, and they're desperate to maintain the status quo. And now I'm about to go on a political tangent, but I'll hold my tongue.

• Funny
Reactions: AltHawk

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Maybe that's a pretty good sign it was just an accident. I must be the only person who misspeaks; if you put a camera/mic in front of my face and had me say "cyclones" over and over again there would probably be a time when I said cyclowns or something that sounded like it

F*ck that Woo, his "reporting" is so biased you can hear it in any feature he does, smarmy as all get out if it's an ISU feature and fawning when it's a Iowa feature, his ass should have been fired when he did it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
A poll over on Hawkeye Nation has an 81-19 vote right now on dropping Iowa State! Seems insane to me. Wanted to get this fan base point of view.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/vote-give-isu-game-play-different-power-5-school

snowflakes_PNG7545.png

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Can someone explain to me how many times the game has "hurt" Iowa? I can think of only one time...2002. Unless I'm missing something, it has literally never had a negative impact to the end of their ******* season.

I voted "yes"...keep the game. If we lose the game and needed it to gain bowl eligibility, we didn't deserve to be in a bowl game anyway...at least in my opinion. For going on 20 years, with a few season exceptions where we are a better team than historical norms, this has been one of the very few winnable games on our schedule.

• Agree

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Look up the "I Think" segment of SoundOff. He just couldn't get out of his own way and his black & gold flag was flying. Murph tried walking it back a couple of times, unsuccessfully.

Personal bias, I suppose - the smarmy little twerp has annoyed the crap out of me ever since he called us the CyClowns on air during a sports segment on the evening news.

*going back to my corner to knit again*
And yet he is the one that Murphy (who is so well liked by many on this board and thought to be neutral) continually assigns the jerk to cover Iowa State

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
But it's not the same. UNI isn't a threat to our superiority. That's what we are to Iowa, and they're desperate to maintain the status quo. And now I'm about to go on a political tangent, but I'll hold my tongue.

Agree we have passed them in enrollment, and our fan base seems much more engaged overall about sports and the school itself. ISU is trending upward while Iowa is trying desperately to hang onto the past both academically and in sports (but only since the Fry era.) Slowly but surely we are gaining ground through out the state and legislatively to protect ISU's gains that we have made.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Can someone explain to me how many times the game has "hurt" Iowa? I can think of only one time...2002. Unless I'm missing something, it has literally never had a negative impact to the end of their ******* season.

I voted "yes"...keep the game. If we lose the game and needed it to gain bowl eligibility, we didn't deserve to be in a bowl game anyway...at least in my opinion. For going on 20 years, with a few season exceptions where we are a better team than historical norms, this has been one of the very few winnable games on our schedule.

Since 1998, we've "hurt" them 10 times. Hoks have an extremely fragile ego and would rather lose to Rutgers, a team that actually would hurt them, than us.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Does anyone realize that Cowerds comments weren't specifically bashing Iowa's schedule, but the fact that they whined and complained when they didn't get to play varsity because they played a JV schedule? If they didn't whine and *****, this conversation wouldn't be happening. Playing or dropping ISU won't change the fact that they are delusional and an uneducated fanbase

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Other than the money aspect of a home game Iowa has zero real legitimate reason to want to axe the game. We are just as good if not almost certainly better than the teams they would replace us with. They don't need an easy win. They need a hard schedule.

We have more reasons to get rid of the game but should still keep it. I completely am with people who say we need to buy wins against bad teams. The big 12 is a meat grinder and we can't play 11 and 12 tough games. With that said we need to start this by actually doing that with the other two games. I feel confident we only need the two buy games. That means no more UNI or good MAC teams. We need bad teams.

• Funny
Reactions: AltHawk