POLL: Do you want to keep playing Iowa?

Do you want the Cy-Hawk football series to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 402 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 122 23.3%

• Total voters

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I want us to be a consistent bowl team.

Realignment is not over. We have until 2024. We know our TV market sucks. We need to have something to sell people to stay in a conference flush with cash and IMO playing Iowa hurts us in that goal. I want winning records, bowl appearances, and good fan support.

I'm all for doing anything possible to avoid playing in the AAC in 7 years.

Reactions: YeahBuddy

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Does anyone know what Iowa Corn pays us for the game? What they pay Iowa?
Would either team get a corporate sponsor for a different opponent?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The one key from the ISU side of the equation...pretty sure it's a B12 rule now that one of the OOC games has to be P5. So, it's not like we would be replacing iowa with a Sunbelt or MAC school. In recent history, name a P5 school that ISU would have beaten more often than iowa. There isn't very many. I'm guessing teams like WF, Rutgers, BC, Vandy, IL, Purdue, WSU are in pretty high demand from the big boys looking for a P5 OOC.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
This is a silly question. Who WOULDNT want to play their biggest rival? Any Iowa fan who says "Iowa State isn't our biggest rival" is a g dang liar. It's the biggest game for the state in terms of bragging rights and something I know both teams & fan bases look forward to every year.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
This is a silly question. Who WOULDNT want to play their biggest rival? Any Iowa fan who says "Iowa State isn't our biggest rival" is a g dang liar. It's the biggest game for the state in terms of bragging rights and something I know both teams & fan bases look forward to every year.

I agree with what youre saying but I dont look forward to it every year. This game annoys me so much.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Realignment is not over. We have until 2024. We know our TV market sucks. We need to have something to sell people to stay in a conference flush with cash and IMO playing Iowa hurts us in that goal. I want winning records, bowl appearances, and good fan support.

Our TV market sucks but our future ranking of # of people who will buy an online subscription to watch our games live is probably somewhere right around the midpoint of the current 65 P5 teams. Things like actual attendance for football and basketball, enrollment size, already having a subscription service for just our program, and lack of pro sports in the region all make ISU more attractive in the new Netflix/Amazon dominated world than we were in the ESPN model world where Rutgers is New York City and Northwestern is Chicago.

Agree with you though that success on the field is what grows that for us further. I think Jamie and our core fans have grown it as much as possible without a breakout season.

• Winner
Reactions: jkclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I proudly have an ISU window sticker in my car now because I moved to California. I'd have never in a million years have put that sticker in my car the 37 years I lived in Iowa and Chicago for fear of what drunk Hawkeye fan would do to my car...that's how I know in my heart ISU is Iowa's rival.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I voted no. I hate the game personally. It's always a giant week of annoyance, and it really doesn't help us much, even though we have been 50/50 with them for the past 20 or so years. I'd take easier competition or even someone with a bigger number next to their name. I realize I'm in the minority but I hate Iowa fans so much, I'd rather never have to talk to them.

In the end the business of the situation just makes sense. In-state, means less travel money, and means a huge week of hype leading to a competitive game that has few which rival it in the new age of college football.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agree with you though that success on the field is what grows that for us further. I think Jamie and our core fans have grown it as much as possible without a breakout season.

I would argue that our success on the field has peaked if we don't start winning. We cannot continue to be sub-.500 and even maintain our current level of support IMO.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I used to be more about it but it would be nice to play other power 5 teams in their place. Iowa doesn't bring much of any national eyeballs to the game which is probably the same argument they make about us. Anymore, I could care less.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Best case is Iowa and Iowa State in the same conference, then there is no more complaining about conference strength and the game would go on each year as a protected rivalry. Then, both institutions can schedule anybody they want in the non-con. Iowa can try to get their place at the big boy table by scheduling Alabama, Oklahoma and Western Kentucky and Iowa State can rack up easy wins against Alaska Tech, NJIT and Upper Iowa. Everybody wins!

Basketball would be cool too, home and away series each year.

Yes, I know this will likely never happen, but it would be best case on both sides.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Th entire sports network landscape is going to be so different in 7 years that market size may not matter at all. ISU has a passionate fan base that is of decent size, and cares about their team even when they suck. I think by 2024, that will mean more than market area.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I say keep playing them until we get three or five years of beat downs (Cyclones winning by 15+ points), and then drop them saying, 'they're no longer competitive."

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
In the P5 there are 7 states that have two or more schools in separate conferences: Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas. Neither Texas or Indiana have on-going non-conference, in-state rivalry games; Texas and TAMU are still pissy with each other, and Notre Dame does whatever they feel like.

The other 5 states all maintain yearly rivalry games between out of conference opponents. UL v UK, PSU v Pitt, SC v Clemson, and FSU v Florida are all scheduled for the last week of the regular season. Only Iowa v Iowa State is scheduled so early in the season.

I would venture that the weather a driving factor for it being early, but I would love to see Iowa-ISU moved to the Thanksgiving Game and be part of the Rivalry Weekend. I say keep the game, but move it in the schedule.

As far as perception of the game, rivalry games are often given less weight by the committees anyway, and I think the value these games add for players, fans, and the state in general far outweigh a potential free win over some cupcake school.

Georgia

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron