POLL: Do you want to keep playing Iowa?

Do you want the Cy-Hawk football series to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 402 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 122 23.3%

• Total voters

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Why do I want to keep playing Iowa, just to piss them off?

eaQvGdK.gif

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Ever since ISU went to 9 conference games I've been outspoken in my desire to drop Iowa from the schedule and buy some easy wins.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Iowa game but the 1 big game doesn't outweigh what an easy W every single year could do for the program.

Who would be an "Easy W"? UNI? Toledo? NDSU? Tulsa?

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
I want it to continue because it's always been a fun weekend to go back and visit Ames.

I do wish ISU would schedule another P5 team for the first game of the year and get rid of UNI. It'd be fun to get tough competition right away...especially if we're just going to go lose to UNI ever other time.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

This is my argument. We are ISU, no game is a gimme. If we are going to lose, it does look better losing to Iowa than it does UNI, Tulsa, Toledo or name any other team not P5. And when we win, it looks better for us than a non P5.

I hate to admit it, but I do see Iowa's point. This game really is a lose lose for them. With our football history, it's never a quality win for them. And when we beat them, more than not, it just looks bad on their resume.

That being said, Unless either team was going to schedule a top team from another P5 conference, playing each other generates more buzz than just about any other game would. I would much rather play Iowa than set up another home and away game vs. a Tulsa or Middle TN St. , that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I rarely visit Hoknation, but a friend suggested I go over there to read the piece about FB scheduling. I couldn't believe the propaganda in that piece (notice I didn't refer to it as an article - just a "piece" as in piece of ****). Supposedly it is ISU that is hamstringing them, it is our "fault" for their scheduling problems. Hey Suckeyes, your schedule 2 years ago allowed you to be a football's length away from gaining a college playoff berth. As a viewer of a number of your games that year, yes, I believe that your scheduling hamstrings you. SO, stop scheduling the UNIs of the world, replace them with the Alabamas & OUs, and demand that the B1G switch your conference division assignment so you play Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State EVERY YEAR. Even if you get "Stanforded" in each of those games, at least you can brag how nationally relevant you are to be able to play in "marquee games."

Reactions: khardbored

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
In the P5 there are 7 states that have two or more schools in separate conferences: Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas. Neither Texas or Indiana have on-going non-conference, in-state rivalry games; Texas and TAMU are still pissy with each other, and Notre Dame does whatever they feel like.

The other 5 states all maintain yearly rivalry games between out of conference opponents. UL v UK, PSU v Pitt, SC v Clemson, and FSU v Florida are all scheduled for the last week of the regular season. Only Iowa v Iowa State is scheduled so early in the season.

I would venture that the weather a driving factor for it being early, but I would love to see Iowa-ISU moved to the Thanksgiving Game and be part of the Rivalry Weekend. I say keep the game, but move it in the schedule.

As far as perception of the game, rivalry games are often given less weight by the committees anyway, and I think the value these games add for players, fans, and the state in general far outweigh a potential free win over some cupcake school.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

Whenever asked this question, I always go back to Baylors schedule. Look at how they started scheduling in 2012. They bought wins when they were a terrible program trying to get easy wins and build confidence. SOS is irrelevant in college football unless you are a top 10 team trying to make the BCS playoff picture. We aren't even close that conversation, so might as well go and schedule the 3 easiest teams money can find.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Whenever asked this question, I always go back to Baylors schedule. Look at how they started scheduling in 2012. They bought wins when they were a terrible program trying to get easy wins and build confidence. SOS is irrelevant in college football unless you are a top 10 team trying to make the BCS playoff picture. We aren't even close that conversation, so might as well go and schedule the 3 easiest teams money can find.

And Kansas St. in the early to mid Bill Snyder years

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Should just play it during championship week. If either team makes their conference championship game then the rivalry game is off.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Look up the "I Think" segment of SoundOff. He just couldn't get out of his own way and his black & gold flag was flying. Murph tried walking it back a couple of times, unsuccessfully.

Personal bias, I suppose - the smarmy little twerp has annoyed the crap out of me ever since he called us the CyClowns on air during a sports segment on the evening news.

*going back to my corner to knit again*
OK, thanks, I get it. Living in Omaha I have escaped the pro-Hawkeye bias of Iowa sportscasters and writers. And yet I am still within driving distance to Ames, so it all works out. Now, as I have mentioned, my wife has her degree from Iowa but fortunately she is not really a typical Hawkeye fan. Whenever she claims to be a Hawkeye, I ask her to name 5 players on their team and her standard answer is, "Well of course there's Smith.... and Johnson, and then the other Smith.... and obviously Jones... and naturally Ferentz! There's always a Ferentz." So she is a good sport and actually supports the Cyclones I guess mostly for my benefit. But I lived in Iowa my first 30 years and am well aware of the unsportsmanlike conduct that goes on.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

Exactly.

I like playing Iowa. A lot.

BUT, 3 easy non con games = wins (should at least)...... which equals confidence, learning how to win, easier path to a bowl game, momentum within the program, easier to sell to recruits, etc etc.

Also your team isn't so beaten up come conference play. ISU has had AWFUL depth for years now. Trade out Iowa for Sam Houston State and you don't think our team is a bit more fresh come the grueling 9 game Big 12 schedule?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

And Gary Pinkel at Mizzou. I don't like the practice but it's hard to argue with the results.

The game really doesn't benefit either team all that much. It's for the state and the fans. Considering that, I don't see this game going away any time soon.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The game is fun and I like fun things so I don't know why we would get rid of it.

I think the P5 needs to migrate to an exclusive P5 schedule anyway.

Reactions: Doc

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Asking HawkeyeNation a policy about Hawkeye sports direction policy would be like asking emaw about a Kansas State policy. Both sides contain the extremist fans views.

If you asked random Hawk fans from around the state, the odds would be much, much closer.