POLL: Do you want to keep playing Iowa?

Do you want the Cy-Hawk football series to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 402 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 122 23.3%

• Total voters

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Play with their mind maybe. Too nerve-racking, but if we win there is nothing more satisfying.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
And remember they have that view of our game after absolutely killing us last year. The poll would be tipped even further in a year after we beat them I would assume.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Iowa State could make the same argument in basketball that Iowa is making in football. Do we drop Iowa in BB cause we're a way better program but lose sometimes cause it's a rivalry game?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
After last night, I would cheerfully take the game, the tradition, the other team, the other fanbase, and that poll on that other site, and shove them ALL up John Sears' posterior. I'd use the trophy to make it fit.

I'll be a nice little granny now and go sit in my corner and knit...
I'm unaware of what happened "last night." Care to explain?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Ever since ISU went to 9 conference games I've been outspoken in my desire to drop Iowa from the schedule and buy some easy wins.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Iowa game but the 1 big game doesn't outweigh what an easy W every single year could do for the program.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm unaware of what happened "last night." Care to explain?
Look up the "I Think" segment of SoundOff. He just couldn't get out of his own way and his black & gold flag was flying. Murph tried walking it back a couple of times, unsuccessfully.

Personal bias, I suppose - the smarmy little twerp has annoyed the crap out of me ever since he called us the CyClowns on air during a sports segment on the evening news.

*going back to my corner to knit again*

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They gain nothing by playing NDSU. Or Miami (OH). Or Central Michigan. Or Eastern Michigan. But they still do it - like all teams do.

There is some fantasy out there that dropping games against lower teams you've lost to would be replaced by games against top level Power 5 teams. But that isn't happening.

Just like with Iowa State and UNI, if you don't like playing (and losing) to "lower" teams - DON'T LOSE TO THEM.

This is where I lose the argument Hok fans might have for dropping the game. Just be honest. You don't want to schedule another P5 program that's better than Iowa State. You want to add another directional school cupcake to fatten up on before you hit that meat grinder of a conference schedule :rolleyes:. If that's what they want then more power to them. Otherwise, shut up, suck it up, and play the damn game.

• Creative
Reactions: abd4cy and Go2Guy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yes. Let's be honest. Iowa is a small state with a stagnant population.

Iowa needs events like this to juice up excitement. Keep the game

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
A poll over on Hawkeye Nation has an 81-19 vote right now on dropping Iowa State! Seems insane to me. Wanted to get this fan base point of view.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/vote-give-isu-game-play-different-power-5-school

I agree; it seems insane to me and I don't understand how any Iowa State, or Iowa fan would want to drop the most exciting game on each non-conf schedule. Especially for Iowa State fans who feel it would help our chances to gain a 6-6 bowl invite; how stupid !!
I attended the 1977 game - the first game since the series was suspended after 34-years. I remember when we didn't have Iowa on the schedule and the arrogant Board of Regents and majority of Hawkeye fans who felt they had nothing to gain. When the series did resume, it was under the condition that a) ISU build a new stadium and b) the first three games would be played in Iowa City. We give up this series then we may never have the leverage to get it back. I never want to relive a season where we don't play Iowa.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Look up the "I Think" segment of SoundOff. He just couldn't get out of his own way and his black & gold flag was flying. Murph tried walking it back a couple of times, unsuccessfully.

Personal bias, I suppose - the smarmy little twerp has annoyed the crap out of me ever since he called us the CyClowns on air during a sports segment on the evening news.

I haven't seen it but I don't need any more reason to hate that douche.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I say keep it but we all need to bring Preparation H to the games because they are obviously all butt-hurt about everything.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that the 'cyclowns' slip up wasn't at all an accident. And it was all the more maddening when they wouldn't admit that it wasn't.

The whole argument idea that suddenly Iowa would be respected if they traded out Auburn for Iowa State is ******** anyway. MOST years that Iowa State beats Iowa, I'm firmly convinced that Iowa State is the better team. I don't give a **** if Iowa wins 9 games and Iowa State wins 4. There haven't been many flukes in that series and the difference in wins is usually because one team plays a hard schedule and one doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Besides bragging rights for some, there isn't really an upside to this game. Drop it and schedule an easy win and get halfway to 6 with your non-con.

It would also drive the hawk fans crazy, so that would be a plus.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Absolutely. It's far far the biggest game in the state. You don't have insurance agencies having lunch tailgates for the NDSU game or cubicle decorating contests for Central Michigan.

I enjoy seeing the increased amount of school pride that week. Or t-shirt pride in the case of Iowa fans ;)

In the spirit of 9 conference games I could almost stomach doing it not every year. But I think that would still be a shame. For the fans.