POLL: Do you want to keep playing Iowa?

Do you want the Cy-Hawk football series to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 402 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 122 23.3%

• Total voters

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I wish the game was at the end of the season rather than the beginning. Every state has their in-state rivalry game and this one should continue. Even with as much as I hate Halkeye fans, it'd be stupid to end it.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I like the rivalry aspect of college sports. I voted to keep it. Plus, having to endure that horrible stretch with Walden, I feel a little entitled to keep the rivalry going now that things are beginning to balance out.

Disclaimer - I don't have to deal with their fans since I live out of state. It makes the decision MUCH easier.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'd enjoy a series with Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, etc over playing Iowa. Losing to them is miserable and beating them is never an accomplishment they will admit to losing. I'd rather play an educated fan-base that I don't have to run into daily.
I agree with you but I think they'd all be as afraid to come to JTS as Iowa is. We could be forced into scheduling cupcakes looking for a payday...which I wouldn't mind either...

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm all for playing them semi annually or something similar but no point playing them every year.

Twice a year!?!?

oh-hail-no.jpg

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
They want to drop the game as soon as ISU starts to become more competitive, they'll replace us with KU so they can say they're playing a P5 team

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
IF, and its a huge if, they would actually schedule a marquee Power 5 team in our place - I could see why fans would want to replace the game. Otherwise, it's solely the fact that they don't want to lose to us. But I HIGHLY doubt they would do that. And they've shown they can schedule moderately successful teams like Pitt and Arizona AND play Iowa State.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
They don't want to play us for the same reason we don't want to play UNI. They gain nothing.

They gain nothing by playing NDSU. Or Miami (OH). Or Central Michigan. Or Eastern Michigan. But they still do it - like all teams do.

There is some fantasy out there that dropping games against lower teams you've lost to would be replaced by games against top level Power 5 teams. But that isn't happening.

Just like with Iowa State and UNI, if you don't like playing (and losing) to "lower" teams - DON'T LOSE TO THEM.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and jbindm

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I actually want to see it continue because it's good for the state. It's pretty unique for a state the size of Iowa to have 2 power 5 schools and IMO it would be a shame if Iowa walks away from it because they have a history of losing to us. If the series goes to 2 on 2 off I would be ok with it but I think the rivalry loses some of it's sizzle then.

Mission accomplished Cowherd! Mission accomplished!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
It is somewhat disappointing that every year we have only two games to schedule that are not automatically set in stone already. But as a Cyclone now for over 40 years I would say there are no other teams I would rather schedule that would raise the same level of interest for me. Of course it probably is an influence the fact that my wife is an Iowa graduate. We have end zone seats and she wears the Cardinal and Gold and actually follows and cheers for both the football and basketball teams. But she does put on her Iowa shirt (that I bought for her) when the two teams play each other. So I'm not an Iowa "hater" like some fans seem to be. But when you have two major universities in one state that belong to different conferences, that is somewhat rare in the Midwest and I think it is best for the State and for the fans that they play every year.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
They want to drop the game as soon as ISU starts to become more competitive, they'll replace us with KU so they can say they're playing a P5 team
The problem is, the "big boy's" in college football don't see Iowa as a "big boy". Why would they want to play an Iowa team? They wouldn't gain anything from beating them, and would lose more by losing to them (much like Iowa views ISU).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I want keep playing them just to piss of Iowa fans now. We are pretty competitive with them lately and I think as the team rebuilds and Kirk treads water, we can piss them off even more in the future.

Reactions: JM4CY and NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
After last night, I would cheerfully take the game, the tradition, the other team, the other fanbase, and that poll on that other site, and shove them ALL up John Sears' posterior. I'd use the trophy to make it fit.

I'll be a nice little granny now and go sit in my corner and knit...