ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Are people really that thin skinned that they can't handle Hassel making light hearted jabs at ISU. (He does at Iowa as well)

Hassel is awesome. If you can't get over that "he's a hawk dousche" than that's a you thing.

I just remember a couple of years back when Iowa had a huge halftime lead on ISU and Niang and Co came back and won the game. Hassel not only owned it on air (and he wasn't even on at that point), but he did it with humor. Can't find the video on YouTube.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Don't care if someoen is a hok shill or not - celebrating someone losing their job is bad form. Hope you don't lose yours one day and someone conveniently has this post bookmarked.

You know, this is a great point. If I got canned the first thing I would do is take to Twitter to cry about it. Then, I'd come here to cry about it. And when you saw me crying about it you could say, "Hey, remember when you were so mean to Danny Kannell and Chris Hassel? Well, how does it feel NOW?!?"

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
You know, this is a great point. If I got canned the first thing I would do is take to Twitter to cry about it. Then, I'd come here to cry about it. And when you saw me crying about it you could say, "Hey, remember when you were so mean to Danny Kannell and Chris Hassel? Well, how does it feel NOW?!?

I never watched Hassel much, wasn't a big part of his shtick making fun others as "white trash?" He never seemed overly compassionate.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Wait a minute! All of these personalities losing jobs are real-life people with families and responsibilities? Even the ones who are openly fans of teams I don't care for? MIND=BLOWN

It's darn sad to see a spectacle like this where people just trying to get by (the folks we are talking about here) are drug publicly through a ringer like this.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the list of execs that signed a bunch of bloated contacts with leagues and who had too little vision to see a invention-of-the-printing-press type disruption rolling through media and journalism (AKA their business).

You do realize these are the actual people putting this out on twitter right?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I never watched Hassel much, wasn't a big part of his shtick making fun others as "white trash?" He never seemed overly compassionate.

No comment. Just thought I'd bold that and think about it for awhile and ponder what in the world that has to do with the price of tea in China.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'm not a Hassel fan by any stretch of the imagination, but how are these not "real jobs"? Most of these guys and gals work awful hours and live in Bristol, CT. And no, you and your buddies are not capable of recreating what they do on television. It takes hard work, practice and talent to be on camera. Hassel is especially good at being most comfortable when the lights go on.
In Hassel's case I know it's not a real job because it no longer exists. ESPN decided it's not a real job.

TweezerReprise

Mar 27, 2017
LOL! Suck it hawk doosh. Thankfully making dickhead comments about ISU on Twitter is free, well, as long as he can afford a phone...

Dam dude, hes a doosh but you follow him on Twitter? Gotcha. The guy was sports comedy gold when he worked in Des Moines. You cant tell me you didnt laugh at his sound off stuff? Especially the Nebraska skits, of course you probably went and saw Paul Blart in the theaters twice.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
SportsCenter stopped being relevant when somewhere along the line it stopped being about entertainment and started being about wanting to be a "legitimate" news broadcast.

20+ years ago you had Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman, Stuart Scott and Rich Eisen, Kenny Mayne, Craig Kilborne, Scott Van Pelt - they were all entertaining as hell. Even Linda Cohn was watchable back then. While you were sitting there for your own team's highlights to come on, you were engrossed in the other highlights because the anchors captivated you. Then somewhere along the line that all changed because it got "serious". Then this version of SC got rendered obsolete because of the internet. I don't think internet highlights could have replaced SC from 20 years ago.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just trying to get by??? These guys get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to talk about how ISU should get relegated or about their fantasy football teams...now we're crying profusely for them because they might have to *GASP* get a real job?...or *DOUBLE GASP* take less money?

Yeah, I highly doubt Hassel was making $100k, let alone "hundreds of thousands".

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You know, this is a great point. If I got canned the first thing I would do is take to Twitter to cry about it. Then, I'd come here to cry about it. And when you saw me crying about it you could say, "Hey, remember when you were so mean to Danny Kannell and Chris Hassel? Well, how does it feel NOW?!?"

You're right - people NEVER come onto CF and tell their friends on this site that their personal life went to hell because they're getting laid off from their job - oh wait, someone just did that this week.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How many of these people actually talked about how ISU should be relegated? I'm guessing the hockey guys or MLB guys or the anchors didn't.

Don't care if someoen is a hok shill or not - celebrating someone losing their job is bad form. Hope you don't lose yours one day and someone conveniently has this post bookmarked.

To be fair, Kanell probably indirectly cost ISU quite a bit of money over the years by ALWAYS talking down the Big 12 in football and basically calling them a joke of a conference. Definitely had a bit to do with Ohio State getting in the playoffs over TCU a few years ago.

Kanell hated the Big 12. As did Herbstreit, and most of ESPN analysts.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, I highly doubt Hassel was making $100k, let alone "hundreds of thousands".

I do too. You've quoted a response to a Twitter post by Danny Kanell who was making $95K. So over the course of his ESPN career he did indeed make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
It's one thing for someone to get fired because they're bad at their job or messed up big time with something but the only mistake Hassel and others made was making a life changing decision to work for ESPN. They trusted the company and now they're without jobs.

Like others have said, regardless of fandom I feel bad for Hassel. I liked him here and I liked him at ESPN. Good luck to him and others affected.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's one thing for someone to get fired because they're bad at their job or messed up big time with something but the only mistake Hassel and others made was making a life changing decision to work for ESPN. They trusted the company and now they're without jobs.

Like others have said, regardless of fandom I feel bad for Hassel. I liked him here and I liked him at ESPN. Good luck to him and others affected.

I guess I feel for these people sure, but many more people lose jobs every single day that are making FAR less and struggling a LOT more than these personalities. If these people are intelligent at all they should have quite a bit of money put away and they will land on their feet just fine. Still stinks for them, but it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

When someone at McDonalds making close to minimum wage gets laid off, people will say "well, I guess they weren't needed".... but somehow we're supposed to feel differently about these ESPN personalities? Obviously they weren't needed either when it all came down to it, right?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I guess I feel for these people sure, but many more people lose jobs every single day that are making FAR less and struggling a LOT more than these personalities. If these people are intelligent at all they should have quite a bit of money put away and they will land on their feet just fine. Still stinks for them, but it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

When someone at McDonalds making close to minimum wage gets laid off, people will say "well, I guess they weren't needed".... but somehow we're supposed to feel differently about these ESPN personalities? Obviously they weren't needed either when it all came down to it, right?

I don't feel differently about either. It sucks. I'm not going to dance in their grave.

These ESPN folks now have an unknown future with very real possibilities of pay cuts or long term unemployment. So what if they make more.

Financial hardship isn't fun for anyone

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and brentblum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron