ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I am amazed at how many people claim not to watch ESPN. Do you never watch Iowa State conference road basketball games?

I don't think anyone says they don't watch live sporting events on ESPN. They say they don't watch anything outside of that. Of course people still tune in for games considering the amount of contracts they have for live-programming inventory.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think anyone says they don't watch live sporting events on ESPN. They say they don't watch anything outside of that. Of course people still tune in for games considering the amount of contracts they have for live-programming inventory.

then it is not a boycott, is it?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Interesting stuff, except he says that he started looking around for other opportunities at the time ESPN started signing all those bloated contracts. I'll go ahead and call BS. He was forced out. Nice try Colin.

Turns out saying baseball isn't complex because even people from the Dominican Republic could pick up the game wasn't a wise career move. Who knew?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
In Hassel's honor, I'll visit the Stivers Ford website.

Hopefully, we see him around here again, or something similar. The guy had a golden comedy touch for sports.

I always thought ESPN was a bit of an odd fit for him. He's funny enough that he could probably do comedy.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm guessing Hassel ends up somewhere national like NBC, CBS, Fox, ect.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
LOL! Suck it hawk doosh. Thankfully making dickhead comments about ISU on Twitter is free, well, as long as he can afford a phone...

So can we all make fun of you when you lose your job for making dickhead comments about Hassel?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so sorry if this has been covered, but is Golic Jr. gone? I hope so. People getting jobs they have no business getting only because their family member works there infuriates me.

I'm guessing his daddy made sure he stayed on though. Golic Sr. just had to threaten to leave I suppose for them to leave little Golic alone. Heck, they both could go and I wouldn't miss them.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So can we all make fun of you when you lose your job for making dickhead comments about Hassel?
I'm not sure why I'd lose my job over Hassel but sure, go for it.

The outpouring of sympathy for a hawk shill hack like Hassel is remarkable. Especially here.

I don't use my professional position to run down ISU athletics. Not sure why your heart bleeds so badly for someone who does.

EDIT: did

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts

Wait a minute! All of these personalities losing jobs are real-life people with families and responsibilities? Even the ones who are openly fans of teams I don't care for? MIND=BLOWN

It's darn sad to see a spectacle like this where people just trying to get by (the folks we are talking about here) are drug publicly through a ringer like this.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the list of execs that signed a bunch of bloated contacts with leagues and who had too little vision to see a invention-of-the-printing-press type disruption rolling through media and journalism (AKA their business).

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I'm not sure why I'd lose my job over Hassel but sure, go for it.

The outpouring of sympathy for a hawk shill hack like Hassel is remarkable. Especially here.

I don't use my professional position to run down ISU athletics. Not sure why your heart bleeds so badly for someone who does.

EDIT: did
Because we don't have cold, calloused hearts?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It's darn sad to see a spectacle like this where people just trying to get by (the folks we are talking about here) are drug publicly through a ringer like this.

Just trying to get by??? These guys get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to talk about how ISU should get relegated or about their fantasy football teams...now we're crying profusely for them because they might have to *GASP* get a real job?...or *DOUBLE GASP* take less money?

Reactions: Rural and JBone84

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
ESPN business model is not good, feel for those who lost their job, but I can't stand espn. As for Hassel...........I will never look at Stivers Ford the same, funny guy he'll be alright.

• Creative
Reactions: cyclone83

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Just trying to get by??? These guys get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to talk about how ISU should get relegated or about their fantasy football teams...now we're crying profusely for them because they might have to *GASP* get a real job?...or *DOUBLE GASP* take less money?

How many of these people actually talked about how ISU should be relegated? I'm guessing the hockey guys or MLB guys or the anchors didn't.

Don't care if someoen is a hok shill or not - celebrating someone losing their job is bad form. Hope you don't lose yours one day and someone conveniently has this post bookmarked.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I'm not a Hassel fan by any stretch of the imagination, but how are these not "real jobs"? Most of these guys and gals work awful hours and live in Bristol, CT. And no, you and your buddies are not capable of recreating what they do on television. It takes hard work, practice and talent to be on camera. Hassel is especially good at being most comfortable when the lights go on.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
ESPN has been bloated with on-air talent, though. They had so many people who did basically the same thing. Regardless of if they could have saved the jobs, would they have? You can make and argument that they should have purged some talent for a while now.

This - every show was basically the same thing to me. People arguing over issues that twitter had talked about hours earlier.