RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I know some people on this board act like saying anything bad about another school is sour grapes and everything is always on the up and up and how dare anyone say anything bad about another school, but we can bash Iowa State all we want---it's one of Iowa State fans' worst traits.

But I will never be convinced that UNLV doesn't cheat. Hell, it's not even about Juiston, he's just a dumb juco player. But why on god's green earth do 5 star athletes commit there They always suck. It can't be fun playing for a losing team. And I know some people think Vegas is the end all be all. But basketball players can find alcohol, drugs, and girls in any college town, including Ames.

I don't know that it is UNLV directly paying players. But someone out in Vegas is paying people to go there. Shoe companies? Agents that are gambling? Who knows. But money changes hands.

if you are 18 or 20 and have a chance to live in the biggest party city in the world. that can be attractive.

also they did have the #1 pick in the draft a few years - so they can boast if you are good, the NBA will find you.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Anyone who doesn't think there is money/favors exchanging hands at unlv needs to get your head out of the sand. Not specifically juiston or vaughn. This isn't sour grapes. However when year after year unlv, coming off horrendous under performing seasons, playing in front of hundreds of fans, continues to win recruiting battles with the likes of kansas and arizona I'm not seeing how you can deny it.

Totally agree.....as long as people understand that we are not above doing this as well.
Its horrifically naive to think we wouldnt.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
This is the same thing said by the jilted fan base of every recruiting decision that results in a kid going to what those fans see as a "lesser" program. It's as reliable as fans claiming the fix is in with the refs if their team loses a close game and their team doesn't shoot as many free throws.

And for the record, plenty of people go to UNLV basketball games. Not as many as Iowa State but still Top 35 in the country: http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/defa..._release_mens_basketball_attendance_final.pdf
Make sure you don't confuse tickets sold with actual butts in the seats.

• Informative
Reactions: WastedTalent

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
No it's not the same. When a player picks a lesser school over my program it's simply disappointing. When SEVERAL players pick the SAME lesser program over many different top 25 caliber teams it becomes a little fishy I'd say.
The kid will play in relative obscurity on a losing team in a second or third tier conference against lesser competition. Perhaps other factors make it worthwhile to him to be there (other than money or the ever popular hookers and blow). Maybe the genius UNLV website guy has it right--he was practically laughing at the fact that he thought UNLV would land the kid even though the program currently stinks. Free choice baby! You are who you choose to be. On to the next kid who chooses to be a Cyclone.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree...the decision not to commit after visiting was a big sign even though he still had additional visits to other schools planned. Moving on to the next guy...
At that point I wonder if the staff started seeing if it was too late to get guys like Thornton in for a visit? I don't know what Juiston was telling the staff in private, but his actions were definitely telling us to ramp up the recruiting of others.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
At that point I wonder if the staff started seeing if it was too late to get guys like Thornton in for a visit? I don't know what Juiston was telling the staff in private, but his actions were definitely telling us to ramp up the recruiting of others.

The all-in strategy worked for Wigginton but this is a prime example that it can backfire too.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Hoping Lard is spectacular.

I have been thinking about this for awhile that I think this is true. I think Juiston came in and while he was practicing/playing with the team like recruits do. He saw that Lard and Young where better than him and he would come in as a role off the bench and not starting like he wanted.

I know this is hoping but it is very logical that is did happen.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Well...........hookers are legal there.
This has been stated a few times now. Prostitution IS NOT not legal in the county in which Las Vegas resides. Much of the rest of the state has legal prostitution, but hookers, as most might imagine as independent contractors aren't really allowed. Counties are allowed to license brothels, of which there are 19 in 8 of the 16 counties, typically a little way away from population centers in Nevada. The two closest brothels in Nevada are about 1.25 hours away from UNLV's campus. Not a long ways, but not IN Las Vegas either.

When we are slamming a young man for choosing another school over ours, we should make sure we are accurately representing the illegal activities that school is likely conducting because he did not smartly choose ours.

If they are providing hookers in Las Vegas, then it is against the law. If they took him far out of town to a brothel, it may be against NCAA rules, but not against the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Cyched and ZB4CY

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
6 hours away is nothing for UNLV to take him up north!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    184.4 KB · Views: 19

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I watched the UNLV coaching staff up close and personal this season. Based on what I saw, the results will be the same.

Menzies coached New Mexico State for a long time and did a good job there. I'm disappointed about Juiston but it's done. We need to regroup obviously with Beverly, pray we get brown or alstork, get Morrow and just cross the fingers and hope we make the tourney next year.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I feel bad for the coaching staff. This is one of the reasons Hoiberg went to the NBA. Recruiting is one of the hardest parts of college sports.

I hope this motivates Cam Lard. He has a huge opportunity in front of him right now. Have a good off-season and a starting spot could be his. If Lard didn't have academic red flags during his high school recruitment he likely would have been pursued by some blue bloods.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think there's maybe some reason to question UNLV, even though there are plenty of reasons a kid would love to spend a couple years in Vegas. I think the embarrassing thing is that we often pull out the "he got paid" card.

"How could Kam White not want to play in his home state instead of a program up north that's won 11 games in 4 years? Obviously Ole Mi$$ paid him." Diallo to Kan$a$. Chandler to the $EC. It goes on and on.

There are a lot of reasons Ames is a tough place to recruit to. It's not always $.

Playing in your home state for an SEC team vs ISU is not in anyway comparable to playing for UNLV in basketball. They aren't relevant in the past 10 years, ISU is, far and away, the better basketball school in recent history. Kam White going to Ole Miss is like a kid from Ankeny deciding to stay home and play for the Hawkeyes after committing to Vanderbilt. Juiston committing to UNLV makes zero sense from a basketball perspective. There is no question Vegas is more exciting for a 20 year old. No one is dumb enough to think that. But if you are going somewhere for basketball and basketball only ISU and UNLV don't compare. You think Lawrence is a mecca of culture?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
This is the same thing said by the jilted fan base of every recruiting decision that results in a kid going to what those fans see as a "lesser" program. It's as reliable as fans claiming the fix is in with the refs if their team loses a close game and their team doesn't shoot as many free throws.

And for the record, plenty of people go to UNLV basketball games. Not as many as Iowa State but still Top 35 in the country: http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/defa..._release_mens_basketball_attendance_final.pdf
No, not every fanbase suspects players get paid to go to a lesser program in every case.

But when it comes to UNLV....There's a reason people believe players get paid to go to UNLV. It's because they do. In a way, I envy your innocence. But you shouldn't go out of your way to display it.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I feel bad for the coaching staff. This is one of the reasons Hoiberg went to the NBA. Recruiting is one of the hardest parts of college sports.

I hope this motivates Cam Lard. He has a huge opportunity in front of him right now. Have a good off-season and a starting spot could be his. If Lard didn't have academic red flags during his high school recruitment he likely would have been pursued by some blue bloods.

Time will tell on Lard but I think we would be hearing more about him if he was capable of starting next year.

I'm excited to see how he looks in the Cap City league this summer.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Remember last year when we wanted Cheickna Dembele and he chose UNLV over ISU, Missouri and NC State while also getting interest from Michigan State and Syracuse?

His averages last year: 16 games played, 3.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.4 blocks.

You could say the same about Darien Williams. Everyone was pretty mad when Abdelmassih took him to St John's but he was completely underwhelming and is on the transfer market right now.

Something will work out for us. Whether it's Lard, Beverly, a new name popping up in May, etc.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have been thinking about this for awhile that I think this is true. I think Juiston came in and while he was practicing/playing with the team like recruits do. He saw that Lard and Young where better than him and he would come in as a role off the bench and not starting like he wanted.

I know this is hoping but it is very logical that is did happen.

All I know about Lard is that Baylor wanted him and we have been jealous of Drew's ability to get to those long athletic types that have given us fits. Will he be raw? Probably, but when I see a guy with Lard's build and I see that Baylor wants him i'm even more thrilled that he chose to be a Cyclone.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This has been stated a few times now. Prostitution IS NOT not legal in the county in which Las Vegas resides. Much of the rest of the state has legal prostitution, but hookers, as most might imagine as independent contractors aren't really allowed. Counties are allowed to license brothels, of which there are 19 in 8 of the 16 counties, typically a little way away from population centers in Nevada. The two closest brothels in Nevada are about 1.25 hours away from UNLV's campus. Not a long ways, but not IN Las Vegas either.

When we are slamming a young man for choosing another school over ours, we should make sure we are accurately representing the illegal activities that school is likely conducting because he did not smartly choose ours.

If they are providing hookers in Las Vegas, then it is against the law. If they took him far out of town to a brothel, it may be against NCAA rules, but not against the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada

This is akin to fireworks being illegal in Iowa, but every 4th of July half the homes on my street have huge trunk loads they bought from Missouri.

I've been to Vegas a few times, been walking down the strip, seen cars pull up and scantily clad women get dropped off at the nice hotels. Prostitution may be illegal, but it's certainly not enforced.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I think fast and relentless, along with long and athletic, are the exact " talents" or "skills" that we need next year. I'm as butt hurt as any cyclone fan about not getting Juiston, but I'm hoping Cam steps up after a partial year in the system and shows us some of the things we were hoping to get from Juiston.

There just isn't a lot of good observable inforomation on Lard, but from what I can tell he is long, and relentless, but lacks any ball skills and is an average to below average athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.