ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Meh? DBag? These are PEOPLE. With FAMILIES to support. Wow. I think some folks here need to step back and think about Mike Golic Jr.'s future. I pray that Mike Jr. keeps his job. Think of the children.

Any word on Danny Kanell's status? Hopefully his kids won't go to bed hungry tonight.[/QUOTE]

Apparently these folks not as angelic and kind as Cooter Ray.

Reactions: Knownothing

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I am really surprised ESPN let Katz go. He seemed to be the voice of college hoops! He was a good analyst. Also, Eammon Brennan's departure is surprising. I wonder if they are going to be shrinking the college basketball online content? Those guys were key contributors.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Also, I have read that ESPN is releasing some of them with the hopes of signing some of them back at a reduced price. Hopefully Katz and Eammon are two of them.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I would love to see Katz at CBS. It's one thing to fire a bunch of guys that don't add. Katz is the one person I go to for college basketball that does not seem to be a real homer for a conference or a team.
As folks on twitter are saying, they fire Katz and keep Joe Lunardi? OK...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

The liberal angle is just bogus. If that were the reason that ESPN was failing, wouldn't you expect it to only affect them? It's not though. Their competitors are seeing big dropoffs as well. FS1 is down lots of subscribers, too. They just had a big employee layoff about a year ago. Cable subscriptions are down across the board. Unless your theory is that viewers are so angry at ESPN's liberal view that they're cancelling their entire cable subscription in protest, then that angle just doesn't hold water.

There are legitimate reasons why ESPN is not doing as well as they were (and to be clear, they're still very, very profitable). Being too PC/Liberal is way, way far down the list.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The liberal angle is just bogus. If that were the reason that ESPN was failing, wouldn't you expect it to only affect them? It's not though. Their competitors are seeing big dropoffs as well. FS1 is down lots of subscribers, too. They just had a big employee layoff about a year ago. Cable subscriptions are down across the board. Unless your theory is that viewers are so angry at ESPN's liberal view that they're cancelling their entire cable subscription in protest, then that angle just doesn't hold water.

There are legitimate reasons why ESPN is not doing as well as they were (and to be clear, they're still very, very profitable). Being too PC/Liberal is way, way far down the list.

I doubt there is a lot of direct cause and effect but I know the politicization of sports has really turned me off in general. We cancelled our DirecTV last month as I couldn't justify it any more.

Sports should be an escape from politics.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009

It sucks, but I am sure his bracketology page brings more page views during the lead up to the tourney than all of Katz's articles does all year.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I doubt there is a lot of direct cause and effect but I know the politicization of sports has really turned me off in general. We cancelled our DirecTV last month as I couldn't justify it any more.

You cancelled Direct TV because of politics in sports?

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
You cancelled Direct TV because of politics in sports?

That's not what I said. I hope you aren't naive enough to believe that people make entertainment purchasing decisions in some sort of vacuum. Lots of factors go into those decisions, many of them subconscious.

Sports was an escape for me from the grind of life including politics. Less interest in sports, less time to watch and a $140 monthly bill were some of the factors that led me and my wife to cancel. We had RCA/DirecTV/AT&T since 1998.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I believe Lunardi is a freelance guy. He has a full-time job as a VP of Marketing at St. Joseph's University. So he's probably getting paid by ESPN on a contract basis with no benefits.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and 3GenClone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Politics has been a part of sports since sports have been around

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
The thing about people saying Politics mess up sports in my experience only say that because their politics is being challenged or not talked about heavily

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's not what I said. I hope you aren't naive enough to believe that people make entertainment purchasing decisions in some sort of vacuum. Lots of factors go into those decisions, many of them subconscious.

Sports was an escape for me from the grind of life including politics. Less interest in sports, less time to watch and a $140 monthly bill were some of the factors that led me and my wife to cancel. We had RCA/DirecTV/AT&T since 1998.

I was looking for clarification, because your post wasn't exactly clear on your reasoning for cancelling Direct TV. You wrote "I know the politicization of sports has really turned me off in general. We cancelled our DirecTV last month as I couldn't justify it any more." That's ambiguous at best.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron