Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
2 weeks into class and I'm already considering switching major lol. I have absolutely no clue what to pick

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I feel terrible for them. I also feel bad that I'm struggling with what is a minor thing compared to those that you mentioned.

For the questions asked. Sounds like surgery and he's a junior, does have his senior year, but this was to be his building year to get college attention.

I do pray for Ava and your friend.

I would try to talk with someone in rehab first. Maybe when you break the news to him, you can also go over the plan to not only get back to normal, but to make it even stronger.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is surprising what you can teach yourself to do with your off hand. For example, when in college I had a job where I had to use a lefty's computer (the lefty is a friend of KC's). Some people who used it would move his mouse around and struggle with the buttons reversed. I decided right away to just use my left hand. It came in handy a few years ago when I got carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. I just switched my mouse around while my right hand was immobilized.

On a more humorous note, I have a coworker who is missing most of his left arm (congenital). He always blames his poor hand writing on him being "a natural lefty." :D The dude can do just about anything with one hand. Very impressive.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
MRI back. I'm sick. Complete ACL tear with partial MCL. School year gone. No football, almost a lock for state wrestling, state track in jeopardy. I haven't told him yet, not sure how.
That is not good. I'm sorry for your son and your family. If it helps, these are the things I learned from my ACL surgery. That knee is now way better than my other knee.

1. Do your extension exercises. I spent time almost every night for months with my heel propped on a pillow or soup can straightening my leg.

2. Once it's adequately healed, they'll ask him to build up his hamstring muscles. Walking, especially downhill, and curls will be recommended. I guess strong hamstrings help stabilize the ACL more than anything other muscle.

3. The surgery isn't terribly painful but there will be times in the couple of days afterward where it hurts pretty bad. Stay ahead of the pain with meds for those first few days. He shouldn't need more than ibuprofen after that.

4. The leg will heal to where he can walk pretty quickly. However, don't swim for quite a while.

5. I had a cadaver ligament put in my knee. My wife was pregnant at the time and I wanted to heal as quickly as possible. This allows you to heal just at the ACL. You can also take part of a ligament from elsewhere in the body (which would mean needing to heal in a second place). They may recommend he do this because there is no chance of rejection and it may heal better and stronger for somebody that plans to still be doing athletics competitively for a while. I was in my upper 30's and realized my Olympic dreams were dead.

6. It's kind of an arthroscopic surgery so the scars will be gone in about a year and they are pretty small.

7. When I had the surgery, I chose to be put under. In retrospect, I would think about staying awake for it and watching it on the screen.

Best of luck and, probably the most important thing is to listen to, and follow the instructions of, the physical therapist.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If people need other sad medical news, the parents of that sweet little girl CW did so much to raise money for just signed hospice papers for her a couple days ago.

The best man from my wedding has been fighting a cancer he really didn't have a chance of winning. Couple days ago, they got word that it reached his brain, and he probably has a matter of weeks before he goes home for good.
I'm sorry Erik. My thoughts and prayers are with your friend and you.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Stay ahead of the pain with meds for those first few days. He shouldn't need more than ibuprofen after that.

This is good advice in general. In addition to getting behind and not being able to catch up once acute pain kicks in, studies suggest that patients who are having their pain consistently managed heal quicker. I wonder if it has to do with the body taking measures to deal with pain rather than using those resources in the healing process. It might also have to do with people who laugh and smile healing quicker as well. It is hard to feel good about yourself when you are in acute pain.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So this happened to me as well last week. I'm right handed. Many things in life are impossible with your left hand. I'll leave it at that.

View attachment 49418
I recently had surgery on my right hand. Everything was difficult. I had a picc line in my left arm and a cast on my right hand.

When I showered, I had to put a bag over my right hand and "press and seal" plastic wrap on my left arm. I couldn't bend my left arm or grip with my right hand. It was like showering with a pliers and a baseball bat and was awful. It did heal though.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
5. I had a cadaver ligament put in my knee.

200.webp

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
2 weeks into class and I'm already considering switching major lol. I have absolutely no clue what to pick

Aren't you going to DMACC first? If so, declaring a major is pointless. Your AA is typically just a general degree unless you're going for something specific like nursing. I didn't declare a major until my first year at ISU.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hey, guys - what do you think about starting a X before the football season starts, so we don't jinx anything? We're getting close to needing to shut it down, regardless.

• Informative
Reactions: cyrevkah

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I feel terrible for them. I also feel bad that I'm struggling with what is a minor thing compared to those that you mentioned.

For the questions asked. Sounds like surgery and he's a junior, does have his senior year, but this was to be his building year to get college attention.

I do pray for Ava and your friend.
As someone who's been through post-surgical rehab way too many times, here's my 2 cents of advice for him even though neither of you asked for it! ;)

PT rehabbers KNOW what they're talking about, and they don't hate you or want to hurt you, even though sometimes it may feel that way. You may hate them, but do what they tell you to nonetheless. And if you can safely do more, DO it. Full function doesn't come back without hard work.

That said - I hope the surgery and rehab are both successful. Good luck on the journey...

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My son (with some special needs) has for the third straight year gotten a teacher who is brand new to the school. The last two have worked out fine but Mrs. Velo is very concerned about this one. She said about two words to him at orientation the other night, and doesn't seem to have very many social skills for leading a classroom of fourth graders. She has a totally open classroom with the closest thing to a traditional setting being one low table with pillows to lounge on when my kid needs a lot of structure and reduced distractions to be successful. He had such a great year and connected so much with his teacher last year. I'm fearful that this year will be a disaster.
In my wife's position, one of her biggest challenges is getting some teachers to incorporate more structure and better classroom management skills into their classrooms.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So this happened to me as well last week. I'm right handed. Many things in life are impossible with your left hand. I'll leave it at that.

View attachment 49418
Yay for red fiberglass casts! I sported one from toes to knee for six weeks about 18 months ago. I'm so glad we can choose bright colors now.

Flip side: Boo for casts on right hand - had to break down & buy an automatic to get me to work because my car was a stick. That's probably not the kind of stick you're fretting over, however. :D

• Agree
Reactions: snowcraig2.0
Status
Not open for further replies.