Hatred for the Big 12

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
because we have 2 teams with 1 win on the season.... One of the 2 just got their first win a week ago again the other team.....

I do not judge conferences based on their best few teams.

"Strength" is exactly that -- top-to-bottom.

By that logic, the ACC was the best conference last year, because who had a better team than Clemson?

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Let's evaluate some rational statistical comparison between Herbie's boner conference and the Big 12.

Points per snap allowed (it's not that different between B12 and B10):

4. Penn State
5. Wisconsin (while playing absolutely nobody)

9. TCU
11. Iowa
13. ISU
17. Purdue
18. Michigan

26. Texas
29. Michigan State
31. Ohio State
33. Northwestern
34. Minnesota

43. Kansas State
56. Oklahoma State
70. Oklahoma

72. Rutgers
78. Illinois

81. WVU
90. Indiana
93. Nebraska (love this)

105. Texas Tech
111. Baylor

112. Maryland
128. Kansas (definitely the worst overall P5 team, maybe FBS)

Now let's see if offenses have a slight tilt toward B12 to offset how defense is just barely more efficient in the B10.

2. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma St

8. Ohio St
13. PSU
14. Wisc (against JV so far)

20. WVU
22. KSU
29. Texas Tech
34. TCU

40. Iowa
41. Iowa State
63. Maryland
65. Michigan
77. Nebraska

80. Texas
82. Northwestern
83. Minnesota
84. Purdue
92. Indiana
100. Michigan State

104. Baylor
116. Rutgers
119. Illinois

123. Kansas

Conclusion looks like the Big Ten plays just slightly better defensive football per snap while the Big 12 is scoring significantly more per play on offense. The Big 12 only has 30% of its teams playing below average offense while 72% of the entire Big Ten can be statistically described as below average offense. In comparison only 50% of the Big Ten's defenses can be described as "below average" while half of them are clearly "above average". B12 defense per play is likely very average, but not horrible when half of the teams rank above national average.

While it's true Oklahoma ranks a very poor 70th in defensive points per play...the leader of the Big Ten East right now is 100th in offense per play which is even more shocking.

How many snaps per game? That will also move these numbers.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What ESPN fails to realize is scoring is directly related to pace of play. Faster pace means more plays means more possessions means more points. This is true across college football and every conference provides examples.

Look at Alabama when they play fast paced Clemson...high scoring games.

tOSU is a faster paced offence in the big tin and their games are higher scoring. The ACC and PAC 12 are the same as the Big 12.

The other aspect is balanced offenses. People call the Big 12 "pass happy" even though they pass less than the PAC 12 and ACC. Fact is those three conferences aren't "pass happy" they run balanced offenses that can run as well as pass.

Meanwhile the big tin and SEC run and run and slow down the game. They choose to make themselves one dimensional which makes them easier to defend.

ESPN is a joke. There is a reason they have guys like Herbstreit, Pollack, Galloway instead of a guy like Joel Klatt. It is the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. They cater to population zones and ratings.

Not sure if on purpose but i like it. The rusty old Big Tin.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
In general I agree, but this year has the feel of being left outside looking in.... If OU or TCU make it through the year with 1 blemish only, this would in the end mean the team that wins this weekend would have to win again in B12 title.....

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
In general I agree, but this year has the feel of being left outside looking in.... If OU or TCU make it through the year with 1 blemish only, this would in the end mean the team that wins this weekend would have to win again in B12 title.....
Every year people get their panties in a bunch in weeks 10 and 11 and every year there is a ton of movement in the 3/4 spots. A lot of games left to be played. Oklahoma and TCU play each other and then possibly a championship game. Miami and ND play and then Miami and Clemsen. Clemsen has to beat a South Carolina team that has been playing well. Alabama and Georgia both have to play Auburn and Alabama has Miss St yet and then the Championship game. Wisconsin has to beat iowa and then still has to win the big tin championship. ND could easily lose to Stanford

Mighty ESPN rips on the Big 12 every day but the CFP committee didn't bite. I have no issue with the current CFP rankings. I even think they have iSu slotted correctly

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Not sure if on purpose but i like it. The rusty old Big Tin.
Been using big tin for two decades since living in big tin territory. I have never met more arrogant AND ignorant fans than big tin fans and I lived amongst Colorado Buffalo fans.. They are simply clueless to anything outside the big tin

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
So right now on ESPN they have Joey Galloway and Kirk Herbstreit just ragging and ragging on the Big 12 defenses and how awful they are. It's just disgusting because they are both Ohio State grads and they have nobody else on the panel. They were showing videos of OU vs. Okie State, and on nearly every highlight the WRs were covered really well, but the passes were just perfect. It's not like there wasn't anyone within 10 yds of them.

And doesn't Herbie realize what an awful Iowa offense just put up on his beloved Buckeyes? Talk about horrible defense.

I'm just getting really sick of ESPN and all their cronies, none of which played in the Big 12, just ragging on the Big 12 each and every single year and how they don't deserve to have a team in the playoff. And not only does ESPN not have anyone in support of the Big 12, but the CFP committee rarely does either. It's such a scam.
If Wisconsin gets a playoff birth after tcu didn’t last year I’ll be pissed. Wisconsin’s schedule has got to be one of the easiest