NBA: Micheal vs Lebron

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some more objective comparisons than "you're too old so you're wrong" which the thread is mostly based on:
http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/lebron_james_vs_michael_jordan.htm

Finals #s includes Kobe, pretty obvious 1 - 2 - 3 there for any objective person.

I'll also add that this became a very fun conversation worth arguing the minute LBJ led that insane comeback over that 73 win warrior team. Before that the Finals performance it was a very easy argument. To me that performance in that series by LeBron is probably the pinnacle of individual achievement in basketball...but over his career MJ had more of those playoffs moments to edge him.

The reddit link dispels the common ignorance of young fans that LeBron is always running into the best team in the finals and Jordan always played scrubs. I'd also add that the East was usually the tougher conference to get through in Jordan's career and it's undeniably the much easier one to get through in LeBron's.

MJ faced the #1 offensive team in the NBA 2 out of 6 times in the Finals and the best defensive team once, that's half of his performances and went 3-0 against them, arguing he played scrubs in the finals means you are stupid. LBJ face the #1 offensive team in basketball the same two times in the finals and the best defensive team the same 1 time in the finals...over 8 years and went 1-2 (basically until this Warriors trilogy he was playing slightly easier Finals opponents and now he's playing better). The quality of Finals opponent is likely a push with LeBron catching both the toughest opponents and the easiest. The Mavs who beat LeBron's super team the year LeBron played bad in the NBA finals were only ranked 8th and 8th.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm not a Laker fan. I'm not a Kobe fan. I just give credit where I think its due. I think Tom Brady is the best QB of all-time also and don't like the Patriots. It was a personal choice and I take Kobe. If you like MJ that's cool.

Kobe, behind Duncan and prime Shaq, was the best player of his generation. He also took a huge contract to ensure that the team would not compete and crater leaving them in a rebuild that is still going on 5 years later.

People like melo refused to go to LA because they didn’t want to play with Kobe. Christ, had the league not pushed through the Memphis trade for pau, they wouldn’t have had their second run.

• Friendly
Reactions: deadeyededric

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People forget the roster he won his first ring with.

Second, Parrish was considered a bust with golden state. Red wanted mchale over joe barry carrol, so he made that trade. To get a project center and a guy that not everyone was convinced was athletic enough tony be an all star

He won his first ring with Kevin McHale, and Robert Parrish, Hall of Famers.

Yeah, busts, haha.

Good lord.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think you’re on to something here, I love watching old bird videos. But yeah, he gets a lot of love due to how he looked.

He is a top five player in terms of creativity, to me that's where he stands out. Whether he has the all time passing numbers or not he made assists where others including some of the top point guards of all time would not have made the play. It was an incredible era in that buildup to the Jordan years where you had two big guys who were the two best passers in him and Magic.

I'll watch highlights of him passing occasionally, there's not many players of any color that can replicate it. In numbers they can, but not artistry.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He is a top five player in terms of creativity, to me that's where he stands out. Whether he has the all time passing numbers or not he made assists where others including some of the top point guards of all time would not have made the play. It was an incredible era in that buildup to the Jordan years where you had two big guys who were the two best passers in him and Magic.

I'll watch highlights of him passing occasionally, there's not many players of any color that can replicate it. In numbers they can, but not artistry.

And his trash talking and his ability to back it up

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Did I miss something? I was under the impression that Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Robert Parrish, Bill Walton, etc. were all pretty good players around Bird. And I think Bird is one of the all time greats. Talk about bat**** crazy competitive and clutch.

Why include Walton on there?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You could probably make the case Pistol Pete was the best white guy ever. Seems like Bird just played on better teams.

Dirk is in the discussion for that title too, he'd have two championships if not for the worst officiated Finals I've ever watched. I watch Pistol Pete highlights all the time and wish I could have watched that era of basketball to better judge him. I know from reading stories he was hampered by injuries after just a few years of pro basketball.

People don't realize Dirk is 6th in NBA in scoring...all time. He'll pass Wilt Chamberlain for sure next year if he's healthy...but LeBron will pass him. Would need a slightly better season than this year to pass MJ but that's possible too.

Reactions: deadeyededric

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Kobe should not even be mentioned in this thread; he rarely cracks top 10 lists put together by anyone outside of a 300 mile radius of LA.

MJ is #1 and Lebron is a consensus 2nd-4th of all time. That said I think Lebron is better than MJ overall, including off the court. Could you imagine if Twitter was around when MJ was drinking and gambling into the late hours of the morning? Not to mention all of the infidelity swirling around. Nike PR did an incredible job of protecting that image to sell shoes.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I love these arguments. Fast forward 10 years and the argument is going to be "Who's better, LeBron or (insert best player of the 2020s)?"

Each era always has its greats. Instead of getting into a pissing match just sit back and watch the great players while you still can. :)

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Lebron was also never secretly kicked out of the league for two years