NBA: Micheal vs Lebron

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Maybe it's just me but I don't think Larry Bird is ranked nearly as high if he isn't white.
Hi there! I apologize for being a white man that thinks Bird is slightly overrated. I know I'm a traitor.
Out trolling for Klansmen? this seems a somewhat strange place to look for those goobers.

• Disagree
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I've seen them both play. Obviously you haven't. I hated Bird because he was so good and had the killer instinct. Lebron is a physical specimen playing in a watered down conference.
I've seen them both play. I think the numbers speak for themselves. There is a reason Lebron James is in the same conversation as Jordan. You are certainly entitled to your opinion though.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Its absolutely ******* laughable that anyone would put Bird over Lebron James. It isn't even close. I'm sorry it is absolutely due to race. I wouldn't take Bird over Dr. J let alone Lebron.
I wasn't making a statement about Larry or LeBron. Perhaps I missed the post you were reacting to--it just seemed strange to be bringing up Larry Bird and race and all in a thread that is supposed to be about Michael and King James.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Its absolutely ******* laughable that anyone would put Bird over Lebron James. It isn't even close. I'm sorry it is absolutely due to race. I wouldn't take Bird over Dr. J let alone Lebron.
"You can't say he's the best because he's white!" Like, wtf... that has nothing to do with anything. The constant hunting for anything that one can spin as racist has grown old.

Larry Bird was a good player; I mean, he averaged a double-double for his career, won three rings, good defender, good rebounder, could take over a game, multiple MVPs. I don't think it's "******* laughable" that he is compared to the best of the best. He's for sure top 10. With that said, I agree - LeBron James is way better and Bird shouldn't be anywhere near GOAT status. Just stop with this "It's 'cuz he's white" crap. And Bird is definitely better than Dr. J.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why include Walton on there?

He came in and was the 6th man of the year in a bit of a 'rebirth' with the Celtics and was pivotal in their last championship. Just saw a 30/30ish type of things recently that featured his time in Boston.

I think him and Bird actually played really well together, not surprisingly.

FWIW some of the Celtics' players chiding of Walton and McHale's impersonation are really funny.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don’t think Jordan in his prime would be the best player on the court tonight. Maybe not even 2nd best. The game has just advanced so much. Jordan was definitely greater relative to the rest of the league, but Bill Walton was maybe the same way.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Let's see, 6 rings in 6 tries. End thread.

He played 15 seasons, so 6 rings in 15 tries.

Robert Horry: 7 rings in 17 tries.

Bill Russell: 11 rings in 13 tries. End thread.

I never got the Michael Jordan 6/6 argument. What about the 9 times he LOST before the finals?

If the argument is only about rings, then Jordan is tied for 10th all time.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
He played 15 seasons, so 6 rings in 15 tries.

Robert Horry: 7 rings in 17 tries.

Bill Russell: 11 rings in 13 tries. End thread.

I never got the Michael Jordan 6/6 argument. What about the 9 times he LOST before the finals?

If the argument is only about rings, then Jordan is tied for 10th all time.

Yeah, the rings argument is terrible.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I don’t think Jordan in his prime would be the best player on the court tonight. Maybe not even 2nd best. The game has just advanced so much. Jordan was definitely greater relative to the rest of the league, but Bill Walton was maybe the same way.
Well yeah, I mean that's true for every sport though. Science evolves. Players train better, eat better, and analytics are half of everything now. Babe Ruth probably couldn't touch any of the top tier aces in MLB today, doesn't mean he isn't arguably the best power hitter of all time.

I'm still in the camp of MJ > Lebron; if I have to win one game that my life depends on I'm picking MJ. That said, I saw this video on reddit a little bit ago that shows just how smart and how well the elite, elite guys see and understand the game. How they learn on the fly and anticipate what will happen next based off what they've seen in the past is incredible. LeBron certainly isn't lacking in the basketball IQ department. Smart dude, take a look...

Edit: Meanwhile, I can't remember where I put my phone 5 minutes ago.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It is hard to compare but I still give a slight edge to Jordan but Lebron is #2. Lebron to me is a modern day Wilt. He is just a physical and athletic freak. Also a freak in terms of his health.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Bird is a top ten player and is better than Dr. J in his prime. Bird in his prime was ridiculous. The problem Bird had was his injuries.

mschmitty17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2017
Des Moines
Uh, no, not a joke.

This is the first time I've heard this name. Was he a good player with Lebron, i.e. effective and relatively well known during his time?

Compared to Luc Longley, Jud Buechler, Randy Brown, etc. who were memorable players on the Bulls but unheard outside of it.

Lebron made it to the finals despite being surrounded by those players, but I've never found him to be someone who made others better in a way that they were renowned.

Does a player like Kyrie Irving leave the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan?

-Big Z was decent, but it is ridiculous that LeBron took that team to the Finals, seriously, look at that roster. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Cleveland-Cavaliers/5/Rosters/Playoff/2007

-LeBron has consistently made teams better than they should be, which is one of the reasons he is 3-5 in the Finals, his teams have overachieved because of his individual greatness. Honestly, this year's Cav's team has overachieved greatly. If LeBron wasn't on this team, they'd be in the bottom 5 of the league.

-I believe Jordan is definitely the better scorer than LeBron, and probably a more consistent defender, although LeBron is a more efficient shooter and can guard positions 1-5. The NBA is also so different now as teams spread the floor way more than when Jordan played, and a lot of teams don't even play a traditional center.

-The reason Kyrie left, was because he wanted to be a superstar, he didn't want to be a Scottie Pippen to LeBron. LeBron had no control over that as he is a ball-dominant superstar. Kyrie also just didn't really fit with LeBron as he is a score-first pg who only averages about 5 apg, so you can't fault LeBron for Kyrie leaving.

-I am a believer that LeBron is the greatest of all time because of how well-rounded he is, along with how much he improves the teams he's on. MJ is definitely a better scorer, and has won more rings, but he also had consistent help each year, unlike LeBron.
The rings argument is dumb because LeBron has faced arguably one of the greatest NBA dynasties of all time in the Warriors, along with the Spurs (who have won 50+ games for 20 years, which is insane). Bill Russell also has 11 rings so if that's the argument then he wins.