‘We don’t need to wait another six years’: College football leaders ready to discuss eight-team Play

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Good system, but also add that the leagues second place team can not be a top 4 seed.

Good point -- putting some restriction on at-large teams that are not independents hosting a first-round game does make sense. Say Alabama had lost to Georgia and dropped to #4 a few weeks ago and had to pay a game in Norman or something.

I say back...

That sucks. Should have won your conference.
If you are as good as you say you are, you should be able to go into their house and win.

Eight teams starts to threaten to reduce the meaningfulness of regular season games, but the imperative of having a first-round home game helps restore that a little. The advantage having a home game in December for top-tier teams is going to be titanic.

Losing a game might not keep you out, but it makes your path much harder.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed on the eight team format, although I'm not sure it would solve the UCF problem. I don't think there should be an auto bid for a G5 program simply because there isn't necessarily a worthy team in that group every season.
And who's to say that by expanding the field to eight the committee wouldn't just continue to select one or two loss P5 programs over an undefeated G5 team? It wouldn't be that difficult for them to justify.

Undefeated: you're in.

Just asking: how often do non-P5 teams go undefeated, and how often do multiple non-P5 go undefeated in a season?

Edit: unless I guess you don't end up at the top 8 per the BCS formula.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Honestly, this probably has more to do with heading off the anti-competitve and collusion lawsuit that is rumored to be headed towards the CFP from the G5 schools.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of course on a Longhorn site some crap like this comes up:

As much as I'd like to see an SEC team, or a run & gun offense play a game in December in a northern host teams stadium; I've been to too many **** weather games in my lifetime. So I think that they need to make arrangements to have games played in fair weather cities or in domes.

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I knew this was going to gain momentum as soon as the Big 10 got left out. If the SEC had somehow been left out for even 1 year, we would have an 8 team playoff the next year.

That year. They'd find a way to expand it.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Just make the conference title games for P5 auto bid. Other 3 are at-large. There would have to be restrictions for the at-large teams such as they need to be in the top 12 in the rankings, 2 teams max from any one conference, G5 gets one spot as long as they are ranked high enough. First round games are either at on-campus stadiums or higher ranked team gets to pick the stadium (Northern teams could pick closest dome if they want).

That would work pretty well and the teams left out wouldn't have nearly the argument that UGA, UCF, tOSU have this year. I'd actually settle for 6 right now and let the top 2 teams get byes.

BTW, the ONLY reason this is coming out right now is that the Big 10 has been left out two years in a row.

Hadn't thought about that side of things. Let's say ISU keeps climbing. We win the Big XII and take a top 4 spot in that scenario. I'd love to have a playoff game at Jack Trice. But then, thinking of the Drake game, would we want an end of December game in Ames? NFL has had some ice bowl games, but pretty sure people won't stand for a playoff game on a icy/muddy/snowy/frozen field. On the other hand, we'd lose the advantage of hosting a game if we move it somewhere else.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't like the idea of just picking the Top 8 teams. I like the Conference Auto Bids and some at larges. Maybe use the P5 champions, UCF, and the top 2 teams left. Something like that.

You have to do an auto bid for league champs, otherwise its only going to be more controversial and we'll still continue to see the same 4 or 5 teams every year. This puts value on winning your league and if teams aren't worried about dropping a game or two, they may be wiling to schedule a more difficult non conference schedule.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
If the Big 12 champ did get an auto bid, I'd like to see the conference drop the championship game. Seems silly at that point since you already played a round robin. The only benefits I see from a conf champ game at that point is: potential for favored team to get a better seed and $$ for the conference.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don't like the idea of just picking the Top 8 teams. I like the Conference Auto Bids and some at larges. Maybe use the P5 champions, UCF, and the top 2 teams left. Something like that.
Not bad, but there will be an uproar that someone didn’t deserve the at large spot and someone else did.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Honestly 4 is good enough. Ohio State and Georgia didn’t do enough to get in this year. Georgia lost twice, and Ohio State got blown out by a 6-6 team. If we expand to 8 people will just ***** that #9 and #10 should be in.
I disagree. You can make very strong arguments for both TCU and Baylor in 2014 but neither of them got in. You could also make arguments that they both had a very real chance of winning it that year if given the chance.

Also, what happens if this 4 team playoff goes on for years and one year the champions of all 5 P5 leagues are undefeated. Who "didn't do enough" to get in? A "system" with holes that big isn't good enough.