‘We don’t need to wait another six years’: College football leaders ready to discuss eight-team Play

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Honestly 4 is good enough. Ohio State and Georgia didn’t do enough to get in this year. Georgia lost twice, and Ohio State got blown out by a 6-6 team. If we expand to 8 people will just ***** that #9 and #10 should be in.

I think it's a lot easier to justify leaving the #9 team out than it is leaving the #5 team out.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Definitely like conference winners getting auto-bids because it removes committee bias. However, conferences should then be required to remove division formats and match up their top two teams. I don't want to see a 4 loss northwestern/pitt team slipping in because they were in a weak division and upset the best team in their conference. Also a firm believer that any undefeated FBS school gets an autobid. Don't care if they are in the SunBelt. If they won all their games, they get a chance. Its not like it happens that frequently. Even Boise State seems to accumulate at least 1 loss every year.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think it's a lot easier to justify leaving the #9 team out than it is leaving the #5 team out.
We say that but every year I hear a huge uproar about some #1 seed in the NIT being left out of the NCAA tourney which fields 68 teams. Just think the complaining will always be there. I can live with an 8 team playoff, but I would be really disappointed if it ever grew beyond that.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Why not totally realign college football so that all 130 FBS teams are organized into balanced and generally similarly competitive "conferences or divisions" of 13 teams (10 confernces/divisions)? All teams in the conference/division play each other. Winner of each conference/division gets auto bid to playoff. Top 6 conference winners by some BCS-type formula get first round byes and the others play a first round.

Yes, that does away with some rivalries, but tradition has been moot for years.

I also like the way the NFL re-brackets their playoffs after each round. Seems as though college football could do the same.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
  1. Go to 12 teams. Keep incentives for top teams to play all out. Top four seeds get a bye. You can guarantee 5 spots to conf champs, 2 spot to top G5 teams and then have 5 selects by committee. Max 3 per conference room at

• Disagree
Reactions: GT25Ump

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Just add the first round of the playoffs after conference championship weekend. 1 game Friday night and 3 on Saturday. Army/Navy moves to the first game of season instead of the last. Losers get sent to the NY6.

It would only add one more game for 2 teams.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
And while we are possibly changing the playoff and all of college football, let's also change the requirements for being an FBS school. Maybe average home attendance should move up to 25k or 30k from 15k and then there would be something like 75 teams (and Kansas would probably be like 75th). That may be a way to make for 8 conferences of 9 or 10 teams. All with conference champs with auto bids to an 8 team playoff.

Last edited:

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I am happy we are talking, but I don't think they are going far enough. To be fair I think it needs to be 16. The G5 has to have a better shot at competing in the tournament, or what is the point of them being in FCS football? If you want an 8 team playoff, the P5 should break away from FCS and form their own thing.

Plus in my opinion, more college football is better than less college football. So maybe I am being selfish.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Round 1
#5 seed Georgia vs 12 seed Fresno State
#6 Ohio State vs 11 Penn State
#7 Michigan vs 10 Florida
# 8 UCF vs 9 Washington

Round 2
winner of Georgia/Fresno vs Oklahoma
Winner of Ohio State/Penn State vs Notr Dame
Winner of Michigan/Florida vs Clemson
Winner of UCF/ Washington vs Alabama

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Round 1
#5 seed Georgia vs 12 seed Fresno State
#6 Ohio State vs 11 Penn State
#7 Michigan vs 10 Florida
# 8 UCF vs 9 Washington

Round 2
winner of Georgia/Fresno vs Oklahoma
Winner of Ohio State/Penn State vs Notr Dame
Winner of Michigan/Florida vs Clemson
Winner of UCF/ Washington vs Alabama
Not a bad idea at all here, but why not have the #1 seed play the lowest remaining seed in round 2? With a week or more between games, a basketball-like bracket is not really needed.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
We say that but every year I hear a huge uproar about some #1 seed in the NIT being left out of the NCAA tourney which fields 68 teams. Just think the complaining will always be there. I can live with an 8 team playoff, but I would be really disappointed if it ever grew beyond that.

**** Iowa

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Just add the first round of the playoffs after conference championship weekend. 1 game Friday night and 3 on Saturday. Army/Navy moves to the first game of season instead of the last. Losers get sent to the NY6.

It would only add one more game for 2 teams.

I'd have a hard time moving that Army/Navy game. Play the others around it if you want but that is one tradition I tune in for every year. That just screams cold weather game. It's also well suited to their playing style.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I disagree. You can make very strong arguments for both TCU and Baylor in 2014 but neither of them got in. You could also make arguments that they both had a very real chance of winning it that year if given the chance.

Also, what happens if this 4 team playoff goes on for years and one year the champions of all 5 P5 leagues are undefeated. Who "didn't do enough" to get in? A "system" with holes that big isn't good enough.

That's easy; the B1g gets left out because they suck.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
the biggest issue with 4 is that regardless of what the committee says, preseason rankings have way too much of an impact. That's the biggest reason we see the same teams over and over again. A team could be better than say, Bama or Clemson in every measurable category, play a tougher schedule etc..but if they don't finish with a better record, they'll never unseat teams like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I'd have a hard time moving that Army/Navy game. Play the others around it if you want but that is one tradition I tune in for every year. That just screams cold weather game. It's also well suited to their playing style.

Maybe move it to Thanksgiving night then? Idk. It needs to stand alone, but there is a reason the game is played on a weekend where no other teams play.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I like the 8 team playoff but please include the top FCS school. Part of what makes March Madness fun is the potential for the Davids to defeat the Goliaths. If you're the number 8 P5 team that means you didn't win your conference so you have no real claim to ***** about someone else getting in with an undefeated season.

Edit, Meant G5 school, not FCS. Brain fart.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: HoopsTournament

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The 8 team playoff needs to guarantee a spot for at least one G5 team. I think just for competitive fairness every team needs to know they have a chance to win a national title.. That's not the case now, and its kind of ridiculous.

5 P5 winners.
1 G5
2 At large, which could include a 2nd G5 or independents.