‘We don’t need to wait another six years’: College football leaders ready to discuss eight-team Play

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Honestly 4 is good enough. Ohio State and Georgia didn’t do enough to get in this year. Georgia lost twice, and Ohio State got blown out by a 6-6 team. If we expand to 8 people will just ***** that #9 and #10 should be in.
With the current 4 team format, The chances of Iowa state getting in after winning the big 12 are slim to none

• Winner
Reactions: TykeClone

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I like the 8 team playoff but please include the top FCS school. Part of what makes March Madness fun is the potential for the Davids to defeat the Goliaths. If you're the number 8 P5 team that means you didn't win your conference so you have no real claim to ***** about someone else getting in with an undefeated season.

I thought this too, but FCS already has a 24 team playoff system. Now a team like NDSU would be looking at 11 regular season games, 3 playoff, and an additional 3 more playoff games.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Texas won't have to worry about coming up to Iowa for the playoffs - I doubt that they would match conference teams in the first round.

No way Alabama allows northern teams to get home games in December or Jan. When was the last time Bama played at a northern home stadium past october?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This is all so f*cking dumb.

We've had an eight team playoff in front of us for decades;

Rose Bowl (Pac/Big Ten)
Orange Bowl (Big 8 / ACC)
Sugar Bowl (SEC / SWC or at large)
Cotton Bowl (SWC / at large)

We could simply go back to the traditional Bowls and a plus 2 (or honestly a vote and a plus 1)

Rose (Pac 12 / B1G)
Orange (Big 12 / ACC)
Sugar (SEC / at large)
Cotton (AAC / at large)

Realignment and this stupid playoff committee bullsh*t sucks for CFB.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
BTW, the ONLY reason this is coming out right now is that the Big 10 has been left out two years in a row.
Probably why Bowlsby is outspoken on this now. Didn't hear a word out of him when the B12 was left out...Once a Hok, always a Hok.

• Agree
Reactions: weR138

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Probably why Bowlsby is outspoken on this now. Didn't hear a word out of him when the B12 was left out...Once a Hok, always a Hok.
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his complaining fell on deaf ears at that time but now there are enough others shouting to be heard.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like the 8 team playoff but please include the top FCS school. Part of what makes March Madness fun is the potential for the Davids to defeat the Goliaths. If you're the number 8 P5 team that means you didn't win your conference so you have no real claim to ***** about someone else getting in with an undefeated season.

Not sure if I'd go the FCS route...they already have their playoffs/championship.

I think the G5 schools are the cindarella of football.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I don't think the Big 12 would ever get an automatic bid unless the playoff was expanded to 12 or more teams. All things being equal, each team in the Big 12 would have around a 40% better chance of getting an automatic bid than the 14 teams in the Big 10 or SEC.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is all so f*cking dumb.

We've had an eight team playoff in front of us for decades;

Rose Bowl (Pac/Big Ten)
Orange Bowl (Big 8 / ACC)
Sugar Bowl (SEC / SWC or at large)
Cotton Bowl (SWC / at large)

We could simply go back to the traditional Bowls and a plus 2 (or honestly a vote and a plus 1)

Rose (Pac 12 / B1G)
Orange (Big 12 / ACC)
Sugar (SEC / at large)
Cotton (AAC / at large)

Realignment and this stupid playoff committee bullsh*t sucks for CFB.

So with this does the season extend to late January? Viewership wise I'd think there'd be conflict with the NFL playoffs or NFL interest.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think the Big 12 would ever get an automatic bid unless the playoff was expanded to 12 or more teams. All things being equal, each team in the Big 12 would have around a 40% better chance of getting an automatic bid than the 14 teams in the Big 10 or SEC.

If you're going to put those stipulations on, then let's also require a 9 game conference schedule. The SEC only playing 2 inter division games is ridiculous.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Two points:
1. Anyone wanting to go back to the exact BCS formula is off-base, in my opinion. Remember, the BCS used the Harris Poll (garbage) and the USA Today Coaches Poll as the “Human Element” and was often the cause for all of its controversial ratings in picking two teams. Computers will do just fine with more teams to put in the playoffs.

2. Tinfoil hat here, but does anyone else think the selection of 4 teams was heavily advocated by ESPN, and set with a long term contract, to precipitate the final grand realignment into 4 conferences (Big 10, ACC, SEC, PAC 12)? Is expansion met with such resistance based on that goal, where some of these obviously better systems haven’t been considered? I also wonder how successful that strategy is, if in fact it is the goal. Or will going to 8 have some detrimental effect and cause more realignment?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron