2018 Stock Prediction

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So... Um... This year kind of sucks.

I've been waiting for a selloff forever so I'm kinda happy. Of course I ended up putting some back in before this but it was never going to go down if I at least didn't dip a toe in the water.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Or the Democrats take the House bump. Lol Because look at the dates when the selloff started. Certainly not the only reason but it is a part.

Since you're a man of reason and fact, we'll assume you know markets fair better under democratic administrations. However, you also are aware over 50% of the SP500 is foreign funds, reasons for market turmoil are complex, and changing political policy has little to do with gain/loss.

So, while we can blame or give credit to partisan politics, the real answer is it simply doesn't matter.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Can’t wait to start dumping a bunch in my 2019 Roth’s. I’m sure most know but the yearly limit has been bumped up to $6,000 per year. I’m thinking I’m gonna dump some money into take two interactive (TTWO). Glad I dumped Under Armor at $22.50 about a month ago. Bought around $12/share thanks to the 2017 stock thread on here.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I don't understand people who say they are going to invest more when it pulls back? were they just sitting on cash for years?

i invest in my 401k every two weeks automatically and my roth ira every week automatically. i don't keep cash around. perhaps i should?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't understand people who say they are going to invest more when it pulls back? were they just sitting on cash for years?

i invest in my 401k every two weeks automatically and my roth ira every week automatically. i don't keep cash around. perhaps i should?

I think for the majority in this thread, this is money outside of retirement. So trying to best the market.

For my retirement accounts, I have a Roth where I invest in ETFs. I have a traditional where I invest in dividend stocks, do there are times, like now where I have some cash. Having a little bit of cash is not a bad thing sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy and mkadl

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I sucked at face book (bought @high still own) and killed it on (bought @ 99 sold my profit at 120 still own the balance.) Caseys oh well. My biggest plays of 2018.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Just building up dividend stocks right now. At worst I'll have a bunch of shares. Just as long as they don't become worthless!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Since you're a man of reason and fact, we'll assume you know markets fair better under democratic administrations. However, you also are aware over 50% of the SP500 is foreign funds, reasons for market turmoil are complex, and changing political policy has little to do with gain/loss.

So, while we can blame or give credit to partisan politics, the real answer is it simply doesn't matter.

They do tend to do best when Congress is split and nothing gets done. But nothing is typical this time, I think we can agree there as well. There is some worry about somehow dumping Trump.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just building up dividend stocks right now. At worst I'll have a bunch of shares. Just as long as they don't become worthless!

Quick preview but I may be picking a nice dividend MLP for next year. MLP's aren't for your IRA (ask a tax accountant) but I think that is a well run company who should see expanding earnings in the next 3-4 years.

Ooops forgot the name. Enterprise Products, EPD.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

You can move the money around in your k plan Roth’s you know? I sold stuff all the way to the top and parked it in a nice safe interest bearing account. I’ve got a bunch of dry powder in my retirement plans I’m waiting to dump back in when the time comes.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
You can move the money around in your k plan Roth’s you know? I sold stuff all the way to the top and parked it in a nice safe interest bearing account. I’ve got a bunch of dry powder in my retirement plans I’m waiting to dump back in when the time comes.

Awesome, can you let me know how you picked the top? Also, can you let me know when we hit the bottom?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's not about picking the exact top or bottom. It's more about money management. When you start feeling good, like too good, take some off the table. Never hurts to take profits. The buy and hold forever is just bunk.

• Funny
Reactions: clonedude

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's not about picking the exact top or bottom. It's more about money management. When you start feeling good, like too good, take some off the table. Never hurts to take profits. The buy and hold forever is just bunk.

Easier said than done. I felt pretty good after 25% returns in 2009, 15% in 2010, 16% in 2012, 32% in 2013, 14% in 2014, and 12% in 2016. Having a hard time deciding when I felt "too good". I've left probably 25% of my 401k in stuff that earns 1% for the last 4 years thinking that "It's too good to be true". Now I have to decide when to get back in. Maybe 25% of that 20% every 1,000 point drop? Looking back, I would have been better off just leaving it alone.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Awesome, can you let me know how you picked the top? Also, can you let me know when we hit the bottom?

I actually sold all the way up. Starting at about 19000 DJIA all the way up to 25k DJIA. I also work for a major financial firm and I know or follow our top market analysts and economists. You don’t need to find the top or bottom...you can make out very well just by being fairly close.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Easier said than done. I felt pretty good after 25% returns in 2009, 15% in 2010, 16% in 2012, 32% in 2013, 14% in 2014, and 12% in 2016. Having a hard time deciding when I felt "too good". I've left probably 25% of my 401k in stuff that earns 1% for the last 4 years thinking that "It's too good to be true". Now I have to decide when to get back in. Maybe 25% of that 20% every 1,000 point drop? Looking back, I would have been better off just leaving it alone.

You need to look at your allocations. Emerging market plays don’t behave like US LCs and US LCs don’t behave like US SC etc etc.

There are most likely deals to be had in emerging market stocks and mutual funds right now and they will in theory be the first to bounce back in an upturn.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I have cash in our emergency fund and a few K in checking, but I'm not sitting on 50k in cash to "time the market" or "jump in". I'll just keep on with my plan and hope it goes well over time.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl and Dopey

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Here is a good test. Think you'd be doing pretty good by owning the Dow Jones 30 companies from lets say 1947? Probably.

A few have survived and would have been great but you'd also own some of these.

Allied Can
American Smelting & Refining
American Tobacco
Bethlehem Steel
Corn Products Refining
Eastman Kodak
International Harvester
Loew's
National Distillers
Sears (took a long time to die)

Help Support Us

Become a patron