Pat Forde on Kansas' hoops recruiting (FBI-related)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Getting benefits from a booster is a violation.

But it's only like manslaughter not real murder. :rolleyes:

I occasionally unignore a post or two from our resident KU pimp just to see what you guys are all replying to. Funny stuff. Not sure why he's all puffed up, nothing is going to happen. The North Carolina's and Kansas's are built on cheating and it's paid off for the NCAA and them big time. Some school have individuals that cheat, the Kansas's have institutionalized cheating and now it's gone corporate with the shoe companies. I mostly stopped watching the NCAA tournament years ago except for the ISU games. I won't watch a NC or KU game at all. I am kinda at the point of thinking they should just kill NCAA basketball in it's entirely.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Well, Kansas has already been punished by not being allowed to play Preston at all and having to be without DeSousa for an entire season.

What punishment should Kansas face for a coach saying he'd have to look into cheating if a recruit chose them and then the recruit doesn't choose them so they don't end up cheating?
Based upon his actions last year, I'm pretty sure KU would have been quite happy to have not had DeSousa back ever again.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Well, Kansas has already been punished by not being allowed to play Preston at all and having to be without DeSousa for an entire season.

What punishment should Kansas face for a coach saying he'd have to look into cheating if a recruit chose them and then the recruit doesn't choose them so they don't end up cheating?
Who sat Billy after "car crash gate", KU or the NCAA?

(hint: we know the answer)

kcbob79clone

Desperate? For what? This whole thing is a long way from a conclusion. And if the worst possible case happens (Self fired and KU on probation) then so be it.

KU is an elite job and they can get another good coach and if they miss the tourney for a year due to sanctions, there will always be the next year. They aren't going to shut down KU's basketball program forever.

Everybody has known for years that @KUHoops has been paying players since Wilt Chamberlain. #AdidasMoney is just the latest way for you #Cheaters. You knew #AdidasMoney was happening but didn't report it caused you liked the 5 stars. Death penalty seems the only recourse!!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
With all the crap going on around the world right now, this thread brings a smile to my face every day...please keep posting Tuco...you certainly add to the entertainment level of the thread.
Always happy to put a smile on your face. Gotta find them where we can these days.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
KU. They sat him and then self-reported what they found.

Damn NCAA!
tenor.gif

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
North Carolina was found guilty of the largest case of academic fraud in the history of collegiate athletics involving HUNDREDS of athletes over a DECADE. The very next year their football team is playing in a bowl game and their basketball team is playing in the dance.

It's all a sham, so what reason do we have to think Kansas is going to face a serious sanction? I'm so done with the NCAA.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
North Carolina was found guilty of the largest case of academic fraud in the history of collegiate athletics involving HUNDREDS of athletes over a DECADE. The very next year their football team is playing in a bowl game and their basketball team is playing in the dance.

It's all a sham, so what reason do we have to think Kansas is going to face a serious sanction? I'm so done with the NCAA.
Because the ncaa has egg on their face for their absurd "we have no jurisdiction in determining the validity of classes in schools that field ncaa athletic teams even though we have given ourselves jurisdiction in determining the validity of high school classes in schools all over the world" ruling in the Carolina case.

The ncaa is looking to nail someone not named Duke. They will not pursue charges against Duke until the day after Coach K retires. They did the same for UCLA and Wooden.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Although it's true that happened, the NCAA found that it did not have jurisdiction over classes that were available and taken by the general student body, and thus they dropped their case against UNC (UNC being an AAU institution and all). Here, however, boosters buying athletes is a violation right in the NCAA's wheelhouse and Ku will get nailed.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The ncaa is looking to nail someone not named Duke. They will not pursue charges against Duke until the day after Coach K retires. They did the same for UCLA and Wooden.

Deflection is a weak defense. Let's stay focused on the crooked program in question- Kansas University.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Not all Jayhawk fans are delusional.

by vegasjhawk 15 hours ago

Gassnola's behavior around the KU program can be construed as a booster. I don't see how KU gets around that. Gassnola was just too cozy with KU and Self. The facts can easily be interpreted that way.

Self had an obligation and the responsibility as the KU head coach to keep his relationship with Gassnola from appearing improper. Self did not do that. That is overlooked around the phog net. Before the night Self was inducted intio the HOF he was seen having dinner with Gassnola. Who does that? Gassnola had the reputation of a low life.

KU should gave tried to settle this and take probation for a year or two and a loss of a couple scholarships for two or three years. Maybe that will turn out to be the penalty. If so KU gets off really lucky.

Like I said in an earlier post. Everyone takes a beating every now and then. It's time that KU and Bill meet Mr. Ben Dover.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Because the ncaa has egg on their face for their absurd "we have no jurisdiction in determining the validity of classes in schools that field ncaa athletic teams even though we have given ourselves jurisdiction in determining the validity of high school classes in schools all over the world" ruling in the Carolina case.

So is this now an admission of guilt? If KU did not thing wrong, they should be exonerated right?

I will agree with you on 1 thing, I do think NCAA just like the did with USC in football is going to make an example out of KU. In terms of handing out penalties the NCAA has never been fair, and its usually the small guy that gets smacked

Auburn, OSU, Arizona, and LSU had all better see some probationary situations in their future

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Getting benefits from a booster isn't the same as getting paid by the school.

And it's "naive".

You are splitting hairs here, it does not matter where the money came from, its been happening for years. If KU wanted to stop it they could have, they chose to play the "we did not know card" and let it continue.

Its silly to think that Addis or a booster was paying the players without the coaching staff knowing and approving of the idea. Otherwise, they would could turned them in, this was going on for years, and you want us to believe that through multiple coaches and hundreds of players, the coaches didn't know?